disability camping

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

disability camping

Postby D_mentias » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:32 pm

Gidday
Just joined. I generally only camp at music festivals and I am at the budget end on the market!

I am interested in hints and tips for disabled campers plus these days I can only go to sites where I can access power as I need to run an O2 concentrator.

I found as I got more disabled I needed a tent I could stand up in but not that big I couldn't put up easy if I had too. Generally fellow campers are great and do it for me!

I am beyond putting my own tent up now but any hints and tips appreciated. Sometimes I have people with me but not always. At home neighboiurs will help me load my trailer etc...I don't want to give camping up yet....

D
D_mentias
Boy Scout

Welcome

Postby Activity_Dept » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi D and welcome to the forum. Hopefully there will be others with more experience then me in this area to provide some tips and advise. But I am sure you will get something out of it, I know I have.

:beer
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:29 pm

Would a small camper trailer do the trick? Just keep it hooked onto the car and not have to put up much after that?

You could even work it so your bibs and bobs are int he trailer (under the camper) where they would be easily accessible. All you would need for a sleeping area is a tent like structure on the trailer that you pull back to give you room. Mine actually does this and would stay erect without having to use pegs as it has a frame inside.

Just a thought. Let's see what others have to say.

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:59 pm

I was out walking the dog and thinking about this as the magpie's were attacking us ... :shock: ... do you have to have a tent? What about one of those Hiace camper vans where this is virtually nohting for you to do as the bed is made up in the back, you have a few cupboards, a false floor (sote gear underneath), and a few other bits of fruit that could make your camping experience a little more pleasureable.

Your cal!

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:25 pm

Never had to contemplate the question but will post soemthing if I think it might be useful.

Admire the spirit in looking for ways to keep activity going :?#
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby D_mentias » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:03 pm

I have to stress here I am a budget camper! It is only been the last 15 years that I have done much camping and it usually involves(not always) a music festival.

I have slowly worked out what works for me from almost backpacking it to a small car and last year I graduated to a trailer so I could take more gear and the gopher. I was a master of what to pack and how is a small sedan. Like 2 kids(one adult) 3 tents, eskies food and 6 instruments for 3 weeks away in Qld? Just having the trailer is a luxury..there has to be some trick through with tying down a tarp!

No kids travelling with me now but 2 large dogs..a gopher and oxygen concentrator.

The last presents problems within itself....I need power to run it and gas or naked flames around it could present a problem.

I would love my own hippy van or camper trailer but because I have had to retire many years before I should these are just not on the radar. I have a smallish tent just for me(Mr D left this world last year) basic camp table(need another) stretcher etc. One of the dogs helps me.

Some campsites provide for disabled campers most don't. Fellow campers are genrally good, I nearly wasn;t going to go this xmas but have been assured they will help me set up camp and pack/

But I am sure in you vast bank of knowledge you will have ideas I could use!

D
D_mentias
Boy Scout

Postby Troyk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:18 pm

What part of the country are you from? :)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby D_mentias » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:49 pm

Yeah I need to fix that. had problems with the sign up business. When I could no longer work I retired to the Pyrenees Ranges area of Victoria... could no longer afford the city morgage ...sort of a tree change
D_mentias
Boy Scout

Postby Troyk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:54 pm

Anyhow Welcome D. I am sure some of Vic members might be able to give some suggestions on suitable campgrounds.

Good luck with it all. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:53 pm

:hello: And welcome.
Chick
It's all about Beer, Hubbie, Fishing, Camping, Kids & Boating.. Oh and Me
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby SMP » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:38 pm

Welcome D. I'm always a big rap for the Grampians. I'm sure Halls Gap has powered sites and there is a lot to see driving around. There is also a jazz festival which I'd be suprised if you haven't heard of, in Jan or Feb I think. Probably 1 1/2 hrs from Avoca. Cherrs, Scott
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby D_mentias » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:03 pm

Yep, I love the Gramps and have done many day trips when fitter...it helps the family owns a property at Moytson. It is a great little jazz fest but there is NOWHERE at the Gap you can camp with dogs.

When I walked through the camping park in the centre of town with my big black assistance girl I was severely reprimanded... I need her now when I camp. She helps me up and down from low seats etc.

The Gramps have much nicer spots like out at Mafeking or Kalymna (sp) Falls this was formerly known as Mt William picnic ground....rare for others to camp there.
D_mentias
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:23 am

Scolers wrote:Would a small camper trailer do the trick? Just keep it hooked onto the car and not have to put up much after that?

Scol.

If this is an option for you I know there are camper trailers for people with disabilities. I have seen one at ModCon at Capalaba here in Qld so I imagine there are others out there as well.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby kazzakanary » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:55 am

Welcome!!I hope you find the right set up to suit your needs...
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Return to Introductions: