QLD - Spring Gully Stays

QLD - Spring Gully Stays

Postby Troyk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:43 pm

This is the Report and photos from Gypsylady.

SGS is a very nice campground with good amenities, a great camp kitchen and a good creek for the kids to swim in and I for one would be very happy to go back there. I was there in August and the creek water was very cold and I imagine it would be pretty chilly most of the year but this is not something that seems to bother the kids. The water is crystal clear as you will see by the reflections in some of the pics and it is also running water so clean as well.

The campground is normally quite green but 2 or 3 weeks before my camp there they had a frost which of course killed the grass. There are 3 sections to the campgrounds, one across the creek with no amenities, a large area to the left as you enter which is a little far from the amenities and the main campground as well. The main campground is on various levels with some being on a slope but it is still quite ok to set up camper trailers, caravans and tents. I am not so sure that February is the best time of year to visit as it is still quite hot and SGS has little shade on this side of the creek which is the closest to the camp kitchen and amenities block. I am sure that if you organise a group booking Paul will give a small discount.

The only negative I have about the place is that a local tour operator visits regularly with a group of tourists and SGS provides them with lunch. The tour operator also provides whip cracking lessons and discussions on boomerang throwing etc as well. During this time they play the same music and the theme to Burke's Backyard gets a bit monotonous after a while. I imagine if you were just there for a weekend this would actually be a novelty. You are also not able to use the camp kitchen during this the time the tour operator is there which is normally only during lunch time.

Cheers Gypsy

Photos

Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Troyk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:48 pm

And wait theres more..........

Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby Troyk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:51 pm

Just a few more.........

Gypsy :+

Troyk

Postby kazzakanary » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:12 pm

Ohh Thanks for this review - I just sent them an email this afternoon enquiing about fees anf the amenities and such - we are hoping to go the 3rd week of January..
The pics look gr8 - any other info you could share?!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:35 am

kazzakanary wrote:Ohh Thanks for this review - I just sent them an email this afternoon enquiing about fees anf the amenities and such - we are hoping to go the 3rd week of January..
The pics look gr8 - any other info you could share?!

Are you looking for info on SGS or somewhere else??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby kazzakanary » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:02 pm

Looking anywhere within 2 hrs of Brisbane that takes dogs, has ammenities and you can swim there. I found some gr8 ones in your dog friendly list - thanks!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:29 pm

kazzakanary wrote:Looking anywhere within 2 hrs of Brisbane that takes dogs, has ammenities and you can swim there. I found some gr8 ones in your dog friendly list - thanks!

If there is something on particular in that list that you want more info on please let me know. I have not been to all of them but do know a few quite intimately. Ther are others that I also know but have not included in the list because I could not in all good conscious recommend them.

I feel a 'pet friendly' campgrounds title would be very helpful on the index page, that way the info would be more easily found and accessed.

That way anyone could easily add either their favourite pet friendly venue/s or any new one/s they have discovered to the list and we would end up with quite a comprehensive list for all to use. Cheers...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby kazzakanary » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:26 am

That would be a gr8 list to compile and have on hand. I must say - I get apprehensive of going to a new campsite without someone giving feedback cause some of the ones we have day tripped to were slightly feral and I would not want to be stuck there for a week with my children!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Troyk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:16 am

Visted Spring Gully Stays yesterday (as a recon for a venue for Feb) and have added some photos to give an update on what it looks like at the moment.

At the main part the ground is split in two. On the left side there are cabins and perhaps is the quieter of the two, while on the right side its closer to the facilites and the creek, and is more open (not alot of shade for summer though)

The cost to stay there is $8pn adults and $4pn for kids. Facilties include toilets, showers, kitchen (including fire pit) and tables, volleyball court and of course the creek. There is also cabins (as you would have seen above) and another area which is large and away from the main part but has no facilities so you need to be self sufficient.

Photos on the right side area

Around the creek

Camping on the left side

Kitchen Area

Camping at the third area (no facilities). You travel along a little bit further and you come to a gate on the side.

Troyk

Postby Troyk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:42 am

Where is Spring Gully stays?. Its about 14km south of Canungra in the Gold Coast hinterland.

Here it is on Google Earth.

You take the turn off to O'Reillys at Canungra and drive 10km to Sarabah Rd which is on the left. The turnoff is a sharp turn to the left and you may not see it until you get to it. As a guide its 1.1km past the Sarabah Bridge, and the turn off is at the warning signs of narrow steep roads up to O'Reillys. From the turnoff to SGS is about 4km along a narrow dirt road. If you are pulling a trailer or caravan you should be OK at the right speed etc. There are a few small potholes and a couple of speed bump like rises in the road at a couple of places.

GPS Co-ordinates
Turn off at Canungra = 28 1' 3.2"S, 153 9' 52.9"E
Sarabah TO = 28 4' 55.2"S, 153 6' 28.9"E
SGS = 28 6' 29.8"S, 153 7' 1.2"E

Troyk

Postby Troyk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:04 am

I picked up this brochure as well.

Troyk

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:01 pm

Troyk wrote:Visted Spring Gully Stays yesterday (as a recon for a venue for Feb) and have added some photos to give an update on what it looks like at the moment.

I did say that it is normally green and WOW just look how great it looks now. Cheers...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby kazzakanary » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:54 pm

Does look green!! Must be getting a bit of rain in that area
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Al&Sharon » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Truelly fantastic report Troy and Gypsy how lucky are we in east qld having reports like this and people working hard to keep it happpening many tks Al&Sharon
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:44 am

Al&Sharon wrote:Truelly fantastic report Troy and Gypsy how lucky are we in east qld having reports like this and people working hard to keep it happpening many tks Al&Sharon

You are most welcome Al&Sharon and believe it is my pleasure. Camping is my passion and probably the only thing that keeps me remotely sane if that is possible. I am about to do my 13th camp for the year this coming weekend and I did not camp in february or march so I am working as hard as possible on my sanity.... Cheers...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Queensland