What do ya Know!?!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

What do ya Know!?!

Postby kezstar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:42 am

:roll:
Hiya All
I am new to this forum but I think it is great...so far!
We are currently in the early stages of planning the big adventure around Aus, as crazy as we are 4 kids,leaving jobs etc. And I am looking for any advice/stories or info you could share!
We are firstly deciding wether or not to convert our Nissan Patrol to deisel or gas if poss. and if it is worth it or to upgrade our car!?! it's a 4 cylinder. We are planning on towing a camper trailer also (which we don't yet have)
Anything you could throw my way would be mint!
Ta
kezstar :)
kezstar

Re: What do ya Know!?!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:20 pm

kezstar wrote::roll:
Hiya All
I am new to this forum but I think it is great...so far!
We are currently in the early stages of planning the big adventure around Aus, as crazy as we are 4 kids,leaving jobs etc. And I am looking for any advice/stories or info you could share!
We are firstly deciding wether or not to convert our Nissan Patrol to deisel or gas if poss. and if it is worth it or to upgrade our car!?! it's a 4 cylinder. We are planning on towing a camper trailer also (which we don't yet have)
Anything you could throw my way would be mint!
Ta

First of all, your right, YOUR CRAZY :!: 4 Kids OMG :shock: , "Are we there yet" x4, repeat every 15 mins....... :lol:

But, if you are in a position to do it, and have counted all the costs, then thats awesome, you'll have a great time. Just dont throw it all together at the last minute... atleast not completly. Now to your questions:

I take it from your post that your Patrol is a Petrol Model? If this is the case, you cannot convert it to deisel. To do so you would need a compatible entire diesel engine, and most likely diesel gearbox and drivetrain. If its petrol, you can convert to gas but if your travelling around Oz keep this in mind, alot of remote places you cant even GET gas :shock: (so make sure dont go gas only) and the price of gas is ever increasing, in some places the savings would be very little once you take in all the factors. But its still probly the best way to save $$ on fuel, if you have the outlay (~$2000) available to set it up.

In regards to towing could you give me the Year/Model/engine capacity(eg, 2.8L, 3L etc?) of your patrol, and the approximate weight of the camper you'll be towing. Generally speaking, diesels are better at towing, and a 6 cylinder (of either) is even better again. If your towing alot of weight the 4cl will chew alot of fuel, possibly even more than a larger 6cl would because the 6 doesn't have to work as hard to pull the same weight.

As for stories, in relation to towing, I've towed a trailer fully loaded with bikes, prolly about 800-1000kg, and the fuel consumption goes from about 10L/100ks to around 15L/100k :shock: , so it makes a huge difference. And its a SLOOOW drive :wink: (thats with a 2.8L 4cl Diesel)
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby kezstar » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:21 pm

:D Yay! a reply!
I know it is crazy but our kids our camping kids and they know that 'are we there yet' is banned in the car! living in west oz you have to drive a while to get anywhere...
Thanks for your info, That makes it all a bit clearer I am hping posting on this will make it easier to get my head around what we need to do/have etc. didn't even think about remote areas not having gas... I will have to find out about the 2.8 3L thing as I have no idea! my boy would know.
We are trying to be spontaneous but with a plan he he! Not planning on leaving till end of this year after Christmas so I am trying to be smart now and do as much research now till then!
Keep it coming and Ill get back to ya on the car stuff
Ta
kezstar

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:30 pm

Happy to help where I can 8)

I'm suprised Scolers hasn't chimed in yet, he's from WA :? (he will come in and pad sooner or later):mrgreen:

So feel free to ask away :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:38 pm

I did but you deleted my post ... :D
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby kezstar » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:51 pm

what did your post say Scolers? :?:
Our Patrol is a 4cyl 3L 1995...and its red...if that helps! joking I'm not that girly! :roll:
I don't know how much we would be towing approx. as I said this is the begining of my research... The camp trailers we are looking at are probably the cavalier camper trailers and are planning to head up to Perth during school hols to check some out!
Meanwhile we are heading off this week to Fernhook falls near Walpole and the Frankland river...never camped there before just stopped for breakie but it looks good! :P Ill have to post something about it all when I get back!
Any good 4wd tracks near there???[/quote][/list]
kezstar

Postby Scolers » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:43 pm

Cavalier are ok but if you want a gutsy one try "Down Under Campers".

He's located in Forrestfield Ph. 08-9359-0066.

If you purchase the latest "Outdoors WA mag there is an article in there about camper trailers (I wrote it). But I stayed away from mentioning brand names. This guy is so busy you won;t get a campertrailer before June/ July. Cost about $8k and this gives yuo a large annexe (a must for families.

Cheers ...

Scols.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to General Chit-Chat