QLD - Andrew Drynan Park -South East Queensland

QLD - Andrew Drynan Park -South East Queensland

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:10 pm

On the Lions Road just before it crosses the border from Queensland into NSW in a spot known as Andrew Drynan Park.

Andrew Drynan Park is 47km from Beaudesert and 19km from Rathdowney. The drive from Brisbane will take a couple of hours.

To find it just look for Beaudesert, then head towards Rathdowney for 24kms and pop onto the Lions Road and go another 22kms with the final 2kms on good gravel.
You know you're there after you've crossed Running Creek seven times! You've passed it if you cross the creek at Moran's Bridge! The road in, is an adventure in itself. It starts off in a wide valley with dozens of horse studs. It gradually narrows as does the road, and around each corner is a new vista. Click on the compass at the end of the story for a good local mud map.

It's owned by Beaudesert Shire Council and we certainly give accolades of praise to them as it is well maintained.
Pets are allowed on leash.

Andrew Drynan is on the side of a small hill overlooking Running Creek with a lovely backdrop of sub tropical rainforest. There is quite a large open mown area with a few large trees. The perimeter sites give the best shade and you get to hear the creek babbling away - about the best sleeping pill available!
There is nice covered tables and BBQs.
If you have good levelling ramps you can camp over the road right next to the creek and swimming hole.

There are enough flat sites for a small club get together. It is on a main road, but nothing happens at night.

Facilities are basic, but adequate. There is running water from the only tap near the toilets.
I reccomend BYO drinking water
The toilets are both flush septic and cleaned daily by the visiting ranger.

Walking is great. You are on the road, but still it is lovely and wonderful for dogs as the scenery is so stunning and varied. Walking south you pass some excellent free camping spots right on the creek such as Kings Bridge and Bells Crossing.
There are a few No Camping signs put up by farmers, but everyone seems not to worry! Similarly bike riding is great, but be prepared to use the gears If you drive further south you will reach the border and come to the famous Railway Loop about 4kms further on. Keep your widows open as there are lots of bellbirds and the smells of the bush are fantastic in this area.
There is a small roadside camp near Bellbird Lookout.

The road on the NSW side is excellent bitumen and not quite as hilly. Travelling in the opposite direction there is lots to explore in Rathdowney. Be sure to visit the Tourist Information Centre as it is excellent.
Fill up with fuel at Beaudesert or Rathdowney as there is NOTHING till way over the border.
The nearest shop is in Rathdowney so forget the Sunday papers! This place is so peaceful.
Firewood is SCARCE, so bring your own, or buy it from the ranger ($5) I think, who calls around at 10AM each morning.

Mobiles don't work anywhere in this area outside Beaudesert. In an emergency just go to any nearby farm as they have power and phones. You wont get this place to yourself of a weekend, but could be lucky on a weekday.

Fees - Adults $5, Kids $2, Family $15 per night.
We recommend this park to anyone who loves camping in the bush, but enjoy having a toilet etc. I

Winter camping in Queensland is absolute bliss!

I will look for some photos to post for you soon.

Cheers,
Chick
It's all about Beer, Hubbie, Fishing, Camping, Kids & Boating.. Oh and Me
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:39 pm

Deleted blank pics
I hope it works
Chick
Last edited by Mullie Grub Clan on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby kazzakanary » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:15 pm

I can't see the piccies!! ::()
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Scolers » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:37 am

Ditto ... no pics ...

::()

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Re: Andrew Drynan Park -South East Queensland

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:42 am

Mullie Grub Clan wrote:On the Lions Road just before it crosses the border from Queensland into NSW in a spot known as Andrew Drynan Park.

Andrew Drynan Park is 47km from Beaudesert and 19km from Rathdowney. The drive from Brisbane will take a couple of hours.

Firewood is SCARCE, so bring your own, or buy it from the ranger ($5) I think, who calls around at 10AM each morning.

Mobiles don't work anywhere in this area outside Beaudesert. In an emergency just go to any nearby farm as they have power and phones. You wont get this place to yourself of a weekend, but could be lucky on a weekday.

Fees - Adults $5, Kids $2, Family $15 per night.
We recommend this park to anyone who loves camping in the bush, but enjoy having a toilet etc. I

I will look for some photos to post for you soon.

Cheers,
Chick

This is without a doubt one of my favourite campgrounds and I have been going there for a number of years and always try to get out there at least once a year. One of the greatest attractions is the train coming out of one mountain and disappearing into the other, the kids big and small all love it. It is extremely picturesque.

I do have current pics and if we ask Troy nicely I am sure he will post them for me.

CDMA mobile service is available if you have an in car kit and yes I know it is about to be phased out and I imagine Next G will also work there.

It is my understanding that firewood is now $10 a bag.

Easter is not a good time to camp there as they have upwards of 600 people there but weekends are usually fine. I have been there over the Anzac long weekend on a couple of occasions and it has not been crowded.

You would get 30+ campers in there without any drama at all.

I might also add that Barry (the ranger) does not necessarily call at the same time each day, if fact he often comes visiting several times in a day, especially on weekends. He lives just across the creek from AD Park.

The water is pumped directly from the creek and is discoloured and I am not sure I would want to dring it so Chick's suggestion of BYO drinking water is a good recommendation.

The bonus is that it is also 'pet friendly'

Cheers....

Below are the pics of AD Park which Troy very kindly posted for me. Thank you Troy.
Last edited by GypsyLady on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm

Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:57 pm

Mullie Grubs pics

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby CCC » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:33 am

great pics, Thanx Mullie Grub Clan, Troy and Derek :mrgreen:
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Cruzin » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:08 am

Hey Chick

What did you think of the 'Wailing Banshee' ie the screetching metal sounds the NSW/QLD trains (Wheels on tracks due to tight turns and "climbing") make at all times of the day and Night?

I think it is one of the most picturesque places we've stayed at.

rgds
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:18 am

Cruzin wrote:Hey Chick

What did you think of the 'Wailing Banshee' ie the screetching metal sounds the NSW/QLD trains (Wheels on tracks due to tight turns and "climbing") make at all times of the day and Night?

I think it is one of the most picturesque places we've stayed at.

rgds

I am not Chick but I personally think it's great, lets you know in advance that they are coming so that you can run out and see them coming out of the mountain. Cheers....GL
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:15 am

Sorry that my photos didnt work.... when I did them.
Big thanks to "Derek" for sorting them out for me. :+
"Cruzin" I loved the sound of the trains and so did the kids.They took off as if they had caught fire every time they heard them so they could go and watch them.
The bit I loved the most was how the fog fell over the mountains. This place is absolutely stunning at any time of the day.
Gypsylady when I went there last winter Shane said we did only paid $5.00 for our fire wood. So it looks like the price has gone up. Sorry to inform everyone of the wrong price.
Cheers,
Chick
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:27 am

Mullie Grub Clan wrote:Sorry that my photos didnt work.... when I did them.
Big thanks to "Derek" for sorting them out for me. :+
"Cruzin" I loved the sound of the trains and so did the kids.They took off as if they had caught fire every time they heard them so they could go and watch them.
The bit I loved the most was how the fog fell over the mountains. This place is absolutely stunning at any time of the day.
Gypsylady when I went there last winter Shane said we did only paid $5.00 for our fire wood. So it looks like the price has gone up. Sorry to inform everyone of the wrong price.
Cheers,
Chick

Wow Chick you did get it cheap. When I bought wood there in April 2006 I was charged $7 per bag. And this last time I was going on what I was told as I did not buy wood. I usually try and take it with me.

And I am with you too, I love the trains, it is part of the attraction of AD Park along with the picturesque landscape.

Cheers....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:09 am

Maybe he thought I had nice legs and gave me a discount
Cheers
Chick
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:42 am