Modified Square Wave or Pure Sine?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Modified Square Wave or Pure Sine?

Postby Troyk » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:28 pm

As you can guess I am talking about Inverters.

Looking at charging the notebook via 12volt. Did the stores yesterday and they don't sell the chargers, instead sell inverters, all modified square wave(MSW), with the best a 300watt for $99. The reason is that they are cheaper and charge better. Of course the pure sine wave (PSW) models are available but alot more money.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences with MSW is, what appliances worked or didn't work, and if anyone invested in PSW and what if any were the differences. Or did you find a problem with PSW?

Not really intending to run anything else, perhaps a light or two, but likley go to PSW to avoid risking the notebook.

Thanks
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:41 pm

Troy

I bought one of these. I just plug it into my 12 volt outlet on the camper and works as good as gold.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Universal-Car-No ... dZViewItem

Cheers

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:12 pm

I have used an inverter to re-charge camera batteries. It did the job ok. It was not the sine wave.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:56 pm

I'd keep trying to see if you can get a 12V power supply for your laptop.

Inverting 12V DC to 240V AC then back to 7-18V DC (dependant on brand and model) is a very wasteful way of powering a notebook.

MSW is ok for switchmode PSUs
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:08 pm

300watt PURE sinewave for $200

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... BCATID=680

Watch on fleebay though as I sold my 1000watt pure sine wave inverter about 9 months ago on there for about $400... it was also a Manson / Powertech unit

also catalogue item MP3467 and MP3468 also look like good options from Jaycar for powering a laptop - id probably go MP3467 myself - that is unless you have other reasons to go 240V?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:22 pm

Thanks Guys. The more I think about the more inclined to hunt down a 12v charger.I just couldn't think what else I would need 240v. Perhaps some bigger flouro lights.

My other chargers are 12v, such as video camera batteries and DVD player. The problem I found and what I have heard is worse with notebooks is that you don't get a full charge, but hey just got to charge it more often thats all.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Return to Gear Guide