8 seater Van or large 4WD.

Community groups, clubs etc. tell us about yourselves, who can join, activities, post notices and events.

Moderator: amanda

8 seater Van or large 4WD.

Postby Fonty » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:04 pm

Well my dreams of campervanning are dashed. For the money I can afford I'm unlikely to find a campervan that has proper seating in the back for my largish family- most don't even have legal seating at all.

So I've been looking at large vans, big 8 seaters. I have noticed however that in my price range- around $6,000, I could also become a 4WD'er. So I was wondering what the pro's and cons of buying a large 4WD would be? I'm looking for a 1990-1991 model most likely, doesn't matter which brand at all. And I wouldn't mind a diesel. I had a diesel golf once and was quite happy with that while it lasted.

I've never owned or shopped for a 4WD before so any advice to sway me one way or the other would be appreciated...

Andrew.
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:24 pm

In the long run 4x4 will cost more, particularly diesels as they have closer service intervals. But, they should and generally do last a lot longer (diesel engines) and 4x4 should be tougher over all. So it could balance out.

8 seats in a 4x4 might be a hard ask tho :shock: 7, yes. But you'd need something with two seats in the boot, AND a dickie seat at the front. Can't think of any 4x4's that'd have that. Some GQ Patrols have the dickie seat but none in the boot. Holden suburban might but they are rare as hens teeth and the size of a sherman tank :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Fonty » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:26 pm

Seven seats would be enough, I've already seen a few with seven. Increased cost in services doesn't sound good though.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby HGMonaro » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:44 pm

my Prado has seat belts for 8... the 3 in the back need to have short legs, although my wife took 7 of her girlfriends out one evening and I think they all still talk to her!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:51 pm

If you do the more regular one yourself, which just involves at least the engine oil and the oil filter if you can be bothered, it shouldn't be too noticeable to the pocket. I do mine every 5000k's, which is the recommended interval for harsh conditions, or 10 000 for normal driving.

Good engine oil + a filter wont set you back more than $60, and maybe an 1hr to do the 1st time you do it. I can do mine in 15 mins cause I've done it a million times and every thing's easy to reach. But a workshop would probably charge for an hours labor. The local dealer here has $149 advertised for 4x4 service and "check up".

Diffs and gear box need an oil change about once a year (or 40k), unless your playing in deep water/mud a lot. Gears hate a water/oil mix :lol: . Still pretty easy to do yourself, but gear oil REALLY stinks. And some always drips on me when I do it.

So there's the disadvantages. But a petrol will usually only do what, 2, 300 thousand k's before it packs it in or needs a rebuild? I've got a Diesel rocky here with 750 000+ km's on the clock 8). Never rebuilt.

What have you seen with seven seats? What do you like in your price range?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Fonty » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:11 pm

There's a few Pajero's going at the moment in my price range- one is a diesel:

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/MITSU ... 01267&pt=1

I have seen others with the extra seats in the back I'm hopeless with car names though. I can handle oil changes though, I used to service my own beetles and motor bike. And as long as the instructions are pretty clear I don't swear too much while I'm doing it either. :armsup

So far no real con's for buying a 4WD over a passenger van...
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Al&Sharon » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:54 am

Hi Fonty I run and have owned a couple of pajeros and have been more than happy with them they carry 7 and with a roof rack be careful not to overload it is a briliant car they are a capable off roader not in the class of patrol or landcruiser yet capable of everything i ask of mine they tow nice yet fuel costs do go up when towing most important thing i found when buying my first paj was timing belts make sure they have been changes on time as it could be costly. I have just looked on ebay under cars mitsibishi you have a choice of a few there around your pricing, also have a look at at toyota theres a brilliant troopy there, you could put in the standard troopy side seats then you have a brilliant 4x4 (Item number: 330198485930 on ebay) theres also a large choice of taragos there in your price range. good luck mate im sure you ll find a great van or 4x4 just dont rush keep looking.Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Fonty » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Ahh patience! lol that's the killer. I do think it will pay for me to be patient this time though and not jump too quickly.

If I went for a 4WD I certainly wouldn't want a petrol only one and would prefer diesel since they sound easy enough to service. What about duel fuel though? Any comments on gassed up 4WD's? As far as I knew gas conversions weren't too reliable when they first started but that was a long time ago. Is it worth going gas or too risky still?

Andrew.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Al&Sharon » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:09 pm

yes Fonty thats another option a friend of mine got his prado convertered to gas total cost after rebate was $450 he s more than happy with it, but Im not sure of converting a vehicle thats already done big ks. but look at the taragos they are a good van and seat 8.Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Fonty » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:20 pm

There's a 7 seater pajero '89 model on dual fuel I might get a look at later. I've seen a couple of tarago's, one very nice one on eBay they haven't emailed me back yet. The other ones I've seen have already been taken so far.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:25 pm

You will probably find that Pajero and Rodeo and Nissans are a little cheaper than a similar aged Toyota due to the Toyota maintaining valuation better. At the price your looking at you will probably getter better value with the others.
I'd avoid extreme modifications as they would indicate a harder life.

Keep looking and good luck :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:02 pm

We have a Paj ... V6 3000 model ... '94 NJ ... drove it all the way from Perth to Hervey Bay without one hickup! She now tows a Jayco van (1.1tonne) and rarely complains.

I've been told that the NJ is the most reliable Paj in the whole fleet and I can see why!

Whilst we love our Paj we wont be replacing it with another but, as stated, a good NJ will serve you well.

Good luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:13 pm

I had a bit of a flash whilst driving along. Mitsubishi had a Starwaggon out in the 80's which was 4 wheel drive. Could kill two birds with one stone if yoy can find one in reasonable nick.

There are also quite a few Mitsubishi Delica's around that are second hand imports. Not sure on pricing though. :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Fonty » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:43 pm

Thanks Blue Brave and everyone else. I did see one Starwagon with 4WD up for sale but it was snatched up before I could get to it. I test drove the dual fuel '89 pajero and liked that a lot. But after careful consideration and seeing and driving what was available in my price range I ended up buying a '93 8 seater nimbus, not so 4WD but a bit later model and very comfortable for the whole family and stragglers if needs be. I'm very happy with my choice, a bit disappointed that I could have chosen a 4WD instead, but the van was the more practical choice this time around.

Thanks again, all the advice was very helpful. :)

Andrew.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Troyk » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:04 am

Fonty, you have probalby made the right choice. When you think about it the % of time you need 4wd is quite small in the total number of km's you will do. Its always the monday to friday driving that dictates what you buy.

Anyhow good to see another mitsubishi owner! Might have to start our own group as our numbers are building. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Return to Groups & Activities