Cooktop Gas Hoses

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Cooktop Gas Hoses

Postby mr_grumble » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi all, anyone suggest a remidy for the following ?

I went down to pick up a gas hose to connect my Primus cooktop in my CT kitchen to the bottles mounted on the CT.

With the kitchen fully extended out the back of the CT, it's approx 1800mm from cooker to bottles.

I could only find 1200mm lenghts and when questioning as to why, I was told these are limited in length to 1200mm :(

Now, the obvious solution is to take off the bottles when setting up, BUT me being me, I've intentionally made these bottles difficult to remove from the trailer for security reasons.

I can understand why there are length limits imposed, especially with tailgates that can easily cut a gas hose when shut on, but this doesn't help my cause. I have arresters / gas fuses attached to each bottle so if the worst did happen, nothing should come of it.

I even looked for adaptors that maybe I could use to join hoses, but apparently that too is also illegal :-bang
besides, Primus nor any of the others make such adapators that would enable joining of hoses.

Any suggestions as to where I could pick up such a hose or anything that would enable me to join two hoses together ?

The hose is 3/8" left hand thread to (I don't know what it's called, it seems to be a connector specific to Primus cookers)

Cheers,

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

hoses

Postby Al&Sharon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:19 am

HI grumble I to had that problem I bought a new primus and the hose outlet was on the far side away from the gas bottle I bought hoses not knowing they couldnt be joined I always had to move the gas bottle I dont have that trailer now but have a few spare hoses that cant be joined.
Im interested to see what members come up with maybe a gas fitter mate could make 1 up if any 1 knows of a fitter and post it to you good luck mate.Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:25 am

Could try pirtek, or a BOC gas n gear store. But seeing as how that are limited 1200mm anyone who is willing to rig up something to join them will probably be doing it dodgy - off the books sorta thing. Know any mechanics that do gas conversions on cars? They must use long lengths of hose, just a matter of changing the fittings maybe?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:12 pm

Try a caravan parts type place. The length from bottles to stoves in vans is a lot longer that 1200ml
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mr_grumble » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:05 am

I might be wrong, but the maximum legal lengths vary between different hose types.

Looking through BCF, there are hose types that can be purchased up to 2000mm. Unfortunately these can't be adapted to my connections, not easily anyway.

Most caravans utilise the big 9kg bottles don't they ? If so they have a pressure regulator straight off the bottle making the hose a low pressure hose and I guess enabling a longer length.

Mine just have a connection directly from bottle to stove, therefore the hose will be high pressure.

This is the only rationale I can come up with. From reports, if I were to go and get a custom job made to suit my application, I may need to get a Gas Certification done for rego ::() ::()

Removing a bottle from the trailer aint so bad after all :)
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby will_deness » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:52 pm

Our camper uses a bit of hose then mainly copper tube and then a bit more hose, just like a house. Maybe u could talk a gasfitter into making a short piece of tube with a connection on both ends. then you could use 2 shorter lenghts of hose.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:59 pm

Yeah my camper has a heap of copper tube to run the gas lines, the only flexible line is from the copper tube to the burners so the kitchen can slide out and yes it does have a gas certificate. Not that hard to obtain if you talk to a plumber with a gas cert to find out the ins and outs on how to hook it all up legally then get it checked.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Return to Gear Guide