Sleeping Bags

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Sleeping Bags

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:38 pm

Well, after serving for over 8, faithful years, my ~$25 K-Mart sleeping bag has failed me. Last trip to lithgow, I damn well near froze :shock:
Soooo, i need/want to get another, better one as I'm doing the south coast walk in 2 weeks, and going back to lithgow early June, and it will only get COLDER :twisted:

Any recomendations on brands? And whats a good rating, my current one (carribee)says on the back +7oc is extreme for it, and obove is "comfortable", So I was thinking of getting one rated around -5, or -10 if i can. I plan on oneday camping in the snow, hopefully will get some snow at lithgow in June :mrgreen:

Ultimately I'd love to keep the cost down. $50 i'd be happy, prolly 100-120 max. Looking on Ebay atm and its not looking to promising, Blackwolf Vertical Limit , rated at -7 = $220 :shock: :shock:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri May 12, 2006 10:48 pm

C'mon

I know there's only a handfull of regulars atm, but what are you guys using?

I've since decided $50 wont get me anywhere near what i want :roll: :cry: soooo, I'm trying to decide between two atm, both Romans as the camping store chick said they are better with their temp ratings than carribee, who tend to 'exaggerate' a bit. So i'm trying to choose between a -5, at $140, or a -10 at $200 :shock: I will prolly be snow camping in the next year or two, is -5 ok or should i fork out and go the -10 :?
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby ST391GQ » Fri May 12, 2006 11:30 pm

I have a Roman s/bag that i have owned since 1993...rated at -5. Used it this year at easter in the high country where it got down to -2....was just a little warmer than comfortable at that, but i also always use a sleeping bag liner (sheets) as washing them often only leads to deteriation of the padding and so the warmth rating. Mine is also flannelett lined. yu can always insulate yourself a little more by laying a polytarp on the ground under bag and pulling the other half over you to turn some of the cold away. Hope this is of some help.

Cheers Keith
ST391GQ

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun May 14, 2006 7:04 pm

It does help actually, my friend just told me that K-mart has the Roman -5 one there for $99, so if this is true its going to be much, much harder for me to fork out $200 for a -10. At -2 did you guys have any snow/frost at all? I'm starting to think -5 will be sufficient, as if I do go camping in the real cold, i'll be able to have tent/doon aswell if need be, the only time i'll have only a swag is when hiking, and I dont think i'd like to be hiking in less tha 0 temps :shock:
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby ST391GQ » Sun May 14, 2006 11:04 pm

At -2 it was a really good frost....and this was inside a fairly light dome tent. The tent was still frozen at 9 am when we needed to hit the road so we just crunched it up and stuffed it in th truck. A doona liner is nearly a must , and this can also be a little bit insulating as well. Usually when it snows it is not quite as cold as a really heavy frost.

Cheers Keith
ST391GQ

Postby ST391GQ » Sun May 14, 2006 11:06 pm

Make that a SLEEPING BAG LINER......... :? :? :oops: :oops: :roll:

Cheers Keith
ST391GQ

Postby mytribe » Wed May 17, 2006 3:55 pm

We have 1 Spinifex Murrimbidgee and 3 Blackwolf sleeping bags(plus cheap as ones from Kmart).

All 4 were bought from Anaconda, the camping store in Vic.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Return to Gear Guide