Gas or Petrol

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Gas or Petrol

Postby cannylass » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:18 pm

My husband wants to put our car on to Gas as we hope to do some traveling we will be towing a 17ft caravan. But to me the quotes he has so far seems to be very expensive rangeing from $2,500 to $3,200 I was just wondering what others think, we can buy lot of petrol for that??
cannylass

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:13 pm

It all depends on how long/much you plan on using the vehicle. With towing especially, you tend to burn alot of fuel, and a 17fter I imagine would be heavy. I spend nearly about 3000 on fuel per year roughly, and thats on a 4cyl Diesel :shock: . So if you have a 6cyl petrol, your probably spending 4-5 thousand, depending on the K's you do. (~450ks a week for me). Now, if with a Gas setup you save approximately half (given that LPG is about 1/3 the price of petrol at the moment), it will pay itself of in just over a year. Not a bad investment IMO if you can afford the outlay :wink: .

I think you'll find those quotes are about right. I have a mechanic who quoted me $2000-$2500 to put a XD Falcon on gas, including all new gear (tank, hoses etc). He's in Sydney if you'd like his number I can PM it to you.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

GAS

Postby gqpatrol » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:23 pm

Be aware that lpg is not available everywhere, especially in outback areas. Much better to score a rig already gassed, like my lovely lwb patrol. (When I bought it 2.5 years ago, people asked if I was going to remove the lpg conversion, hah!) :D
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:33 pm

What he said :wink: Best to convert it to DUAL fuel if your touring, you will never tune it to run perfectly on both, but better that than being stuck out at kalgoorlie with no gas for 1000ks :shock:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Mon May 01, 2006 11:24 am

Ditto .. also the petrol is much better for heavy 4wd'ing. SO you can tour on gas and when you go 4wd'ing switch to petrol ... the power is better.

:)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to Gear Guide