Another Queenslander

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Another Queenslander

Postby ScottyB » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:07 pm

Hello campers,

After reading through these forums I felt compelled to register. I have not found any better resource on the net to help me decide where I want to take my family camping than the info contained in this forum. My thanks to all of you who take the time to write reviews as I am sure many people other than me benefit from your efforts.

We live in SW QLD having recently moved to the country after a few years on the Gold Coast. The wife and I have two young girls, one aged 6 and the other almost 3 years old. We also have a Jack Russell Terrier. All of them love camping and with my "tree change" back to the country I have a lot more time to myself to take them all away.

We took the girls out for a "test" camping experience a while back to see if it was for them. I had just finished night shifts so I was tired and a little grumpy. I then went to put the cabin style tent together for the first time and found that the instructions were very difficult to read ..... in pouring rain. After managing to get the tent together we then spent the night with the tent leaking on us, all our gear wet, and with that lovely odour of the wet puppy. On returning home thinking that would be the first and last trip with the girls, I nearly fell over when the oldest asked me when we were going camping again because she could hardly wait!!!!

Since that experience I have slowly been putting together various camping luxuries such as hot water systems, shower tents, porta potties, kitchen tables and a massive canvas cabin tent that I am told wont leak. None of these have been used yet but we are planning a trip on the 19th January. Of course I used to camp a lot for work, which used to mean a swag and an esky. Those of you with girls will know that those old school days of camping a'la natural are long behind us fathers. Thank the Lord I have a 4WD with roof racks to cart all of this stuff around.....

I hope to be adding to that wealth of information in the forums by getting out and seeing these places for myself.

Once again thanks to all of you who make this forum such a great place to get the "real information" on places to stay or visit.

Scott.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:51 pm

Welcome to the forum Scott. What part of SW Qld are you based? :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby ScottyB » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:52 am

Thankyou Troy. We are about 300kms directly west of Brisbane.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:15 am

G'day and welcome!!!

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:21 am

G'day and welcome aboard.

Try erecting tent etc at home to get used to the processes. The instructions are not always clear but practice will help.

The kids can camp out in the backyard :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:17 am

Scott, Any good camping out that way remember to tell us. Always looking to go to different places. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:G'day and welcome aboard.

Try erecting tent etc at home to get used to the processes. The instructions are not always clear but practice will help.

The kids can camp out in the backyard :)

And if it is a canvas tent make sure you 'season' it first by season I mean wet it down thoroughly BEFORE you camp.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ScottyB » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:26 pm

Thanks for the tips. Our new improved and "waterproof" canvas tent is made by Great Outdoors, I picked it up second hand and lightly used. I have photocopied the instructions for safe keeping in case I lose the originals, as I am not keen on putting it up without them. She is a pretty big tent but I am sure with the right weather conditions we will get her up with "patience" and beer.

Luckily for us out west we are getting a fair bit of the wet stuff from the sky that is causing so much hassles down the east coast. None of us are complaining out this way, although the tourists are getting caught by flooded crossings around the place.

Troy there were a lot of nice and free camping places out here, but as you would probably know, there are some inconsiderate people who come onto private land and turn off pumps, destroy structures, steal equipment, discharge firearms and leave a large mess behind for the landholders to clean up. Some have even had cattle killed or stolen. Consequently farmers out here are very reluctant to allow people onto their properties now. Its sad really that the majority of honest people miss out because of the actions of the criminal minority, but I guess thats just the state of the world these days......
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:04 pm

ScottyB wrote:
Troy there were a lot of nice and free camping places out here, but as you would probably know, there are some inconsiderate people who come onto private land and turn off pumps, destroy structures, steal equipment, discharge firearms and leave a large mess behind for the landholders to clean up. Some have even had cattle killed or stolen. Consequently farmers out here are very reluctant to allow people onto their properties now. Its sad really that the majority of honest people miss out because of the actions of the criminal minority, but I guess thats just the state of the world these days......

Seems to be the case with a lot of things ScottyB, the ferals always spoil it for those of us who are responsible.

Unfortunately it is not only aimed at landholders either, it seems to be across the board.

Another tip for you when camping, I would recommend that you also get yourself a good quality silver tarp to put over your tent. You might like to get it big enough to extend past the front of your tent so that you have somewhere to sit outside the tent. A verandah as such.

It will help keep you cooler in summer (drier too) and warmer in winter. Try and have it above the tent so that you can in effect cause a breezeway and again this will work in your favour when camping in winter as it will keep the cold air directly off the roof of the tent.

Cheers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby waltzingmatilda » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:20 am

Welcome Scotty and fanily, Happy camnping 8) Cheers
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Return to Introductions: