hello and help - Long

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

hello and help - Long

Postby sir70t » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:06 pm

hi all,

First post so it is an introduction and question all rolled into one. (long)

Firstly, I'm Shane 41 years old with a lovely wife Maureen 41 with two children Lucy 8 and Harry 5. Sydney NSW (Lewisham)

I had one of those moments in life when I was wondering if life was real back in late August at Thredbo with my children. essentailly our family holidays in the last 8 years have been eirther Noosa / Fiji / nice Hotel or resort in Australia. During the thredbo we were staing in a nice lodge where upon my daughter asked me after skiing (2pm in the arvo) whether or not she could call room service to order food. At that point I realised my children had not experienced anything other than flash holidays... my god I was mortified that she thought the world evelved around room service. so to the reason I'm here.

I grew up camping and really smelly run down holiday shacks as a kid and remember the fun we had as a family ... SOOOOO I'm back into the camping mode to get the real fun of holidays and time together as a family.

I have purchased many of the items needed sleeping / cooking / and all the other items required to survive. I'm short a tent though...

We will be starting the easy camping world I.e 2 to 3 nights , 3 hours from Sydney , preferably in a site that has toilets and showers and somewhere near the coast or alike. (I have a few spots picked out but happy to take recommendations based on this) .... This is in case the weather goes to complete crap we can get home without too much trouble.

I have researched the various tents and it looks as though it comes down to the DOME type tent 8 to 10 people to allow for the room and gear storage.

I have seen a CARIBEE Aurora / Mercury, OZTRAIL, JACKEROO, and Coleman brands.

In you copllective opinion what would be the best featutes in those types of tents and perhaps even a recommendation on brand and experience you all might have had.

Apologies for the l;ength and thanks for reading

Cheers Shane
Life was meant to be easy... huh?
sir70t

Postby BrettC » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi Shane, welcome mate.

Your story is very similar to ours, we want to put the fun back in our holidays but as our kids are a bit older we don't need a very big tent because they prefer their own.

We're looking at a Blackwolf turbo 240 or 300 in canvas because they are so quick and easy to erect.

We live in Como and like you guys we plan to range within the 2 to 3 hours from the Sydney.

Sorry can't be of much more use to you but good luck.
If I can't smell the Eucalypts its not home.
BrettC
Boy Scout

Postby Troyk » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:36 pm

Shane, Welcome.

My thoughts would be
= time to erect and pull down
= can you live in it if you get a day of wet weather
= has it got plenty of pockets (its surprising who useful they are)
= is it not too big to fit on some camping sites such as this one. There are alot of sites like this around Qld National Park Grounds, NSW might be different

Anyhow enjoy the camping.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Blue Bravo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Welcome to the world of camping. I hope the kids get into the spirit of things especially life without TV etc.
As for a tent all I would suggest is you try and see as many erected as you can. Some of the bigger retailers have them set up. Don't worry if it takes a while to set up. It get quicker with practice. :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Pauly » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:58 am

If you want to "edge" your kids into a bit of rough living try Poleys place at Glocester. We stayed in their miners hut, little hut pot belly stove toilets and shower just a walk away.

You dont want to frighten your kids from camping
Pauly
Post Machine!

Thanks

Postby sir70t » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:46 am

Thanks All, apologies for the grammer and typos,

Brett cheers mate, Where do you source the Blackwolf gear? and What site are you considering?

Troy, I have heard the pockets are useful. In relation to the rain question I have started to read the 1000 2000 3000 4000 ratings on the tents, I'm assuming the higher this rating the better? anyone have any easy answer?

Bravo, Cheers.. the TV and other screens are banned! _ I Have seen a few erected, is there a large retailer in Sydney where there are many. I have been to Rays in Camperdown Sydney, there are a few there not a heap.

Cheers Pauly, we will attack camping first.

I think the idea is to try and get all the gear in a family sedan... maybe a trailer... Looks like I can source a Caribee Aurora/Mercury for $150, has anyone had any experience with the Caribee brand, I believe they made in China..
Life was meant to be easy... huh?
sir70t

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:01 am

I don't spend much time in tents myself but what I have found is it gets annoying having to crouch around inside one for a while, so try and get one that has at least one room thats high enough to stand up straight.

And best to go to a larger shop that has them already set up. There's a big one in Victoria Ave Castle Hill, and another I've been to on Great Western Hwy Michinbury near maccas. Sorry, don't know of any closer to you but there probably will be some.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Re: Thanks

Postby BrettC » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:13 am

sir70t wrote:Brett cheers mate, Where do you source the Blackwolf gear? and What site are you considering?

Carlton canvas has a number of them set up in their store. There are some quick erect turbo tents and dome tents as well.

We're looking at mainly private camping sites along the south coast to begin with. Until they invent an air conditioned tent with built in ensuite, good facilities are a must I want to my wife to come along.
If I can't smell the Eucalypts its not home.
BrettC
Boy Scout

Postby Komodo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:17 am

Im going to suggest a cabin style tent.

All four of you would be able to comportably sleep and stand in one. plus most cabin style tents come with a "vehanda" type area which you could store stuff under and sit under if the weather is a bit wet or a bit too hot to sit in the sun!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby garbage » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:07 pm

I'm going to vouch for a centre pole touring tent as I find they stand up to the elements better than polyester dome tents, they are much quicker to set up and pack up, they last much longer and can still sleep 4 people in comfort. On the down side, they are much bulkier when packed away but this will be a non issue if you're planning on using the trailer. Oztrail have a centre pole tent going for around the $300 mark.

As for places to see tents, try both Anaconda and Boots in Auburn (they're next to eachother), BCF in Granville or Kangaroo Tent City in North Parramatta.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby will_deness » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Tents can be a bit like fishing lures, the bright rattly types are designed to catch fishermen in the store not necessarily to catch fish. Same as tents pockets and doodads look great in the shop but I have rarely seen them to be a "i cant live without' feature. instead I look for the best quality I can afford. I have always found it to pay off in the long run.
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:23 pm

garbage wrote:I'm going to vouch for a centre pole touring tent as I find they stand up to the elements better than polyester dome tents, they are much quicker to set up and pack up, they last much longer and can still sleep 4 people in comfort. On the down side, they are much bulkier when packed away but this will be a non issue if you're planning on using the trailer. Oztrail have a centre pole tent going for around the $300 mark.

I would have to disagree with your comment re dome tents. Both my DMH tents have well and truely stood the test of time and some pretty horrendous storms and are to this day still performing well.

Now it is not my place to say they are better than the touring tent you mentioned but they are cheaper, lighter and very easy to erect.

I know a 75 year old lady who can almost erect hers on her own and the children have been doing theirs since forever. They too have DMH tents and my son has a little Stockman from Kmart (about 10 years now) which he uses when he goes fishing with the 'boys'.

Cheeers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide