QLD - Flanagans Reserve, Rathdowney

Postby Chippy76 » Wed May 30, 2007 7:04 pm

Flanagans is worth a look. Up the front corner of the property ther is a nice spot by the creek with lots of shade and greenery .... bit of a walk from the amenities tho.
Chippy76
Captain Camping

Postby Treehouse » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:57 pm

Me and the kids did Flanagan's on the long weekend. Firewood is now $6 a barrow, oh well. The creek was a bit down, threw in the bait trap for a bit of catch and release for the kids, caught a guppy! The place wasn't too populated but there were queues sometimes for the dunnies. Bloody cold on the first night cos we weren't properly set up and the camp stove shat itself,(broken inlet pipe, not sure if it's fixable) lucky a nice camp neighbor had two camp stoves and very kindly lent us one :+ (gotta have that morning coffee, and chopping wood so early in the morning nearly did my head in)
Treehouse
Boy Scout

Postby kazzakanary » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:41 pm

We are leaning heavily towards going to Flanagans now in January - the owners say the creek is flowing and there is planty of room - cheap and the dog can come too - We are deciding by the weekend.
Thanks for this write up
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:48 am

I strongly surgest look before you book. It is just a big dust bowl the day I went about 5 weeks back. Every time a car moved you had to cover your face it was that bad. :(
Has anyone been there in the last week or so? If so whats it like out there now?
Cheers,
Chick
It's all about Beer, Hubbie, Fishing, Camping, Kids & Boating.. Oh and Me
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby Troyk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:44 pm

The tree cover across Flanagans make its hard for the grass to grow. If you want grass go to Bigriggen, but you can't take the dog.

These photos were taken back in April when the countryside was at its driest. Though they did have a storm the night before.

Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:17 am

Troy thanks for the pics. There wasnt that much grass there the day we visited. I think after the rain we have had in the last few weeks could have helped the grass grow more. It is a very nice place when the water is flowing.
PS nice pussy cat
Cheers,
Chick
It's all about Beer, Hubbie, Fishing, Camping, Kids & Boating.. Oh and Me
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:45 pm

There has been heaps of rain out that area it is looking green and lush,definately ring before you go it may even be too wet now.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby ScottyB » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:32 pm

We have decided to head there from probably the 20th-24th January to beat the Australia Day crowds. I am really looking forward to taking the girls there and they are stoked that we are getting back into camping again. Now if only I can avoid a rainy camping trip.....
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:53 pm

ScottyB wrote:We have decided to head there from probably the 20th-24th January to beat the Australia Day crowds. I am really looking forward to taking the girls there and they are stoked that we are getting back into camping again. Now if only I can avoid a rainy camping trip.....

It will be packed to capacity over the long weekend so before hand should be ok. Good luck.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby skip » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:07 pm

hey, my girlfriend and i went there today. it was beautiful. not dry and dusty due to the amount of rain up down that way. The creek was flowing sweet. i cant wait to go when i have a puppy to take.
skip
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:11 pm

skip wrote:hey, my girlfriend and i went there today. it was beautiful. not dry and dusty due to the amount of rain up down that way. The creek was flowing sweet. i cant wait to go when i have a puppy to take.

They have had a huge amount of rain out Boonah way and it has been looking good for a while now.

Did you happen to check out Andrew Drynan Park on the Lions Road as well??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ScottyB » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Yes I thought it might be a little less crowded in that week before Australia Day. I think camping loses some of its appeal if it feels like you are camped in a shopping centre carpark before the doors open for the Boxing Day sales......

I just hope that the rain eases before then, having lived in the centre of Australia I can handle the dry dusty conditions, much better than getting trapped in floods. Unless of course there is a continuous supply of beer.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:33 pm

ScottyB wrote:Yes I thought it might be a little less crowded in that week before Australia Day. I think camping loses some of its appeal if it feels like you are camped in a shopping centre carpark before the doors open for the Boxing Day sales......

I just hope that the rain eases before then, having lived in the centre of Australia I can handle the dry dusty conditions, much better than getting trapped in floods. Unless of course there is a continuous supply of beer.

And what was AD Park like waterwise, any issues after the rain??

The biggest times there are long weekends and Easter is always HUGE.

Though in saying that, I have been there a couple of times over Anzac day weekend and it has not been too bad.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ScottyB » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:51 pm

gypsylady wrote:And what was AD Park like waterwise, any issues after the rain??

Though in saying that, I have been there a couple of times over Anzac day weekend and it has not been too bad.

I havent been to AD park though it was one I considered. Having the little Jack Russell with us restricts choices but I really like the efforts that Flanagans have made to make dogs welcome and secured.

No doubt if we want to expand our camping horizons after this trip then we will be going to the expense of pet motels for our dog. We can take him bush camping out this way, but when you live in the west its not exactly the change of scenery that you want when you camp, hence why we gravitate to the eastern areas.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:05 pm

ScottyB wrote:
gypsylady wrote:And what was AD Park like waterwise, any issues after the rain??

I havent been to AD park though it was one I considered. Having the little Jack Russell with us restricts choices but I really like the efforts that Flanagans have made to make dogs welcome and secured.

No doubt if we want to expand our camping horizons after this trip then we will be going to the expense of pet motels for our dog. We can take him bush camping out this way, but when you live in the west its not exactly the change of scenery that you want when you camp, hence why we gravitate to the eastern areas.

Scott your little fella should not be a hinderance to your camping adventures. I have been camping with mine for about 20+ years now and have never been stuck for somewhere to camp. There are lots of pet friendly venues about and AD Park in one of them.

We have done 3 major outback trips and have only ever encountered one refusal which was in Rocky and they suggested a pet friendly venue to us. There are also a number of publications available advising of pet friendly venues as well. I personally have not purchased any of them as I feel I can obtain most of that info on the web and it is amazing how many people are happy to share this info.

There is a list of pet friendly venues here somewhere, it will just be a case of looking for them.

I find that camping with my canine family elicits a lot of chat with others and people are only to happy to share their knowledge of other venues.

I have made a personal list which is currently about 6 pages in total and I carry copies of this with me and hand them out when someone expresses an interest in pet friendly camp grounds.

Friends of mine also advise me of any new ones they come across and I also add them to my list.

My personal view is that if my girl is not welcome then we simply just do not go and I don't have any issue with that either, it is a choice that I make.

Hope this encourages you to reconsider the options available to you and your family, your whole family.

Cheers GL.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland