Buying Turbo tent over net

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Buying Turbo tent over net

Postby slug » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:11 pm

After quite some debate my wife and i have come to the "agreement" that we need a turbo tent. I myself and happy with a tarp, but hey....

Im not really after thoughts on the tents, we THINK we know which one; a turbo lite 240 plus, it has an extra little bit on the back.

Anyway, we missed out on getting one at Anaconda on the weekend, they had 20 % off which would have been really nice! I have found a place in Sydney with a sale on, but ofcourse there is the postage issue, im in western victoria.
Has anyone bought tents over the internet? What are the postage costs like? This tent is about 17kg so im not confident!

Do anaconda have sales regularly? Surely a xmas one will be coming up????

any other ideas??
slug
Captain Camping

Postby garbage » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:50 pm

I've counted about 2 or 3 20% off sales at Anaconda in the last 6-9 months, so I'm sure there'll be another one if you're able to wait.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby BrettC » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:12 pm

We've been looking into buying one but want a canvas one which is about $300 dearer.

Carlton Canvas (Syd) have a sale on Blackwolf tents at the moment and you can get the double turbo 250 for about the price of the normal retail price of the single.

Also there is a mob that advertises them ebay.
If I can't smell the Eucalypts its not home.
BrettC
Boy Scout

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:51 pm

Anaconda have a new sale starting on Thursday

Catalogue here http://www.anaconda.com.au/Specials.aspx
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby slug » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:59 am

Wow they do have a lot of sales, thanks!
slug
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:36 am

slug wrote:Wow they do have a lot of sales, thanks!

If you register with them online they send out regular emails with their specials ;)
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby will_deness » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:17 pm

slug wrote:Wow they do have a lot of sales, thanks!

Soon they'll be like rugs a million or micheal hill jewelers. sort of lose their cred if they have too many.When some retailers have a sale you often think "great I need a xyz". When other stores like above have a sale its "yeah right".
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby BrettC » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:33 pm

Hey slug did you get the turbo lite plus tent?

I only ask because I've just about convinced myself to get one too and would be interested to hear what you think of them.
BrettC
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:14 pm

garbage wrote:I've counted about 2 or 3 20% off sales at Anaconda in the last 6-9 months, so I'm sure there'll be another one if you're able to wait.

Coming up Easter will be a good time for the sales...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby slug » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:51 pm

Hey Brett,

no not as yet. With sales all the time we decided not to rush. We still really like them but just dont want to rush into it. Still unsure if i should go for lite or regular canvas option, ill be intereted to hear what you decide!
slug
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:10 pm

slug wrote:Hey Brett,

no not as yet. With sales all the time we decided not to rush. We still really like them but just dont want to rush into it. Still unsure if i should go for lite or regular canvas option, ill be intereted to hear what you decide!

I spoke to a guy in a camping shop about the Black Wolf ones a couple of months ago and he said they were not always that easy to push up in the centre. I presumed he meant that in relation to me personally and that it should be ok for a taller male person who would have more strength.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby BrettC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:56 pm

slug wrote:Still unsure if i should go for lite or regular canvas option, ill be intereted to hear what you decide!

I've pretty much settled on the 240 tubo lite plus because I like the layout of a separate bedroom covered by a full fly. I also like the fact the lite plus has a full awning.

Comparing the standard turbo 300 to the 240 plus the plus has an extra 1sqm of floor space and more importantly having the mattress in a separate area gives you a full 5.8 sqm of free space.

The best price I have so far is $720 from Carlton Canvas (Syd) which is not far from me. Sherry's has them online for $759 but then you have to pay postage on top of that.
BrettC
Boy Scout

Postby BrettC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:00 pm

gypsylady wrote:I spoke to a guy in a camping shop about the Black Wolf ones a couple of months ago and he said they were not always that easy to push up in the centre. I presumed he meant that in relation to me personally and that it should be ok for a taller male person who would have more strength.

You may need something to push it up with. If you can bend you knees you'd be surprised at how much strength your leg muscles have, probably more than a man has in his arms.
BrettC
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:31 pm

BrettC wrote:You may need something to push it up with. If you can bend you knees you'd be surprised at how much strength your leg muscles have, probably more than a man has in his arms.

Makes no difference with me Brett, bent knees or not I would still have diffiulty and the height was also an issue for me. I am average height but that coupled with little strenght in my upper body I do believe it could be an issue for me.

I have no real interest in the purchase of one but being the steaky beak that I am was checking them out. I just thought the sales persons comment was an interesting one.

Cheers....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby BrettC » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Well I finally picked up my turbo 250 plus last Saturday and put her up between the showers on Sunday.

Overall I am quite impressed with it. Straight out the bag and without reading the instructions (real men never do) it only took me 15 minutes to put her up.
The inner section went up real quick but it took some time to figure out which way round for the fly went so in future, with a bit of practice, I'd say 10 minutes tops.

Packing it up (in a hurry due to threatening skies) took a bit longer because it is not obvious what to do with all the material that hangs out once you have the frame folded. A check with the instructions (if you could call them that) revealed little so we had to defer to the video on their website http://www.blackwolf.com.au/turbo/turbo-tent-pitching/.

Everything fitted back into the bag ok after that.

And what a big freakin heavy bag it is. Glad i didn't go for the canvas version.

All in all it seems quite well made (so it should be for the price), quite sturdy and has heaps of standing room inside.

So far I'm a happy camper :grin:
BrettC
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Gear Guide