my camping trailer to be

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

my camping trailer to be

Postby steve80 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:05 pm

Gday i am in the process of doing my trailer up for camping its a lightweight trailer but i have built a very strong top on it and am in the process of doing the chassis as it is angle iron i am making it 75x50 tube and an extended 2m 100x50 drawbar, Eventually it will have a landcruiser axle and wheels. I realise it will make it heavy but i want to be able to take it to cape york and not worry about breaking on the first rough bit. With the heavy chassis and top would you think it would hold together on rough roads or would it just start finding the weak spots any opinions appreciated Cheers Steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Re: my camping trailer to be

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:32 pm

steve80 wrote:Gday i am in the process of doing my trailer up for camping its a lightweight trailer but i have built a very strong top on it and am in the process of doing the chassis as it is angle iron i am making it 75x50 tube and an extended 2m 100x50 drawbar, Eventually it will have a landcruiser axle and wheels. I realise it will make it heavy but i want to be able to take it to cape york and not worry about breaking on the first rough bit. With the heavy chassis and top would you think it would hold together on rough roads or would it just start finding the weak spots any opinions appreciated Cheers Steve

Hi Steve

I would be going and having a chat to some local trailer builders and picking their brains. You don't have to let them know what you are doing, just act as if you are in the market to buy and doing some research and find out what specs they run with. Don't be affraid to ask questions.

Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby steve80 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi Steve

I would be going and having a chat to some local trailer builders and picking their brains. You don't have to let them know what you are doing, just act as if you are in the market to buy and doing some research and find out what specs they run with. Don't be affraid to ask questions.

Cheers....[/quote]

Hi gypsylady thanks for reply i think i will do that be interesting as to what their specs are Cheers Steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:36 pm

Steve,

The weakest part of the trailer, and I have found this out by experience, as mine will be repaired in the next few weeks after a mishap out west, is the suspension.

What do you have?

You might want to have a look at ALKO outback rebound springs, and perhaps add some shick absorbers.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

trailer

Postby steve80 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:06 pm

Gday Troy at the moment it has 7 leaf slip springs but will replace with about 7-9 leaf eye to eye rebounds and eventually 1.5t cruiser axle and fit some shocks,i would rather over do it than be stranded somewhere. I want it to be able to take it to Cape York and not stress whether it will get there or not.
steve80
Captain Camping

Re: trailer

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:22 pm

steve80 wrote:Gday Troy at the moment it has 7 leaf slip springs but will replace with about 7-9 leaf eye to eye rebounds and eventually 1.5t cruiser axle and fit some shocks,i would rather over do it than be stranded somewhere. I want it to be able to take it to Cape York and not stress whether it will get there or not.

I'd also be checking out some 'genuine' off road camper trailers too Steve. There are a lot out there who advertise 'off road' but they mean nothing more than off the black top.

Just read an article in the current Caravan World Yearbook and one of the caravan manufacturers actually admits that whilst his particular brand of caravan is marketed as off road it is not meant to be used in 4WD situations.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby steve80 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:54 pm

gypsylady wrote:
steve80 wrote:Gday Troy at the moment it has 7 leaf slip springs but will replace with about 7-9 leaf eye to eye rebounds and eventually 1.5t cruiser axle and fit some shocks,i would rather over do it than be stranded somewhere. I want it to be able to take it to Cape York and not stress whether it will get there or not.

I'd also be checking out some 'genuine' off road camper trailers too Steve. There are a lot out there who advertise 'off road' but they mean nothing more than off the black top.

Just read an article in the current Caravan World Yearbook and one of the caravan manufacturers actually admits that whilst his particular brand of caravan is marketed as off road it is not meant to be used in 4WD situations.

I will do that also spoke to mate that will be doing the welding for me and he seems to think it should do the job but i will do more research
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:38 am

steve80 wrote:I will do that also spoke to mate that will be doing the welding for me and he seems to think it should do the job but i will do more research

Keep us updated on how you are progressing Steve.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby steve80 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:30 am

gypsylady wrote:
steve80 wrote:I will do that also spoke to mate that will be doing the welding for me and he seems to think it should do the job but i will do more research

Sure will!
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:21 pm

steve80 wrote:
gypsylady wrote:

Sure will!

Good stuff and good luck Steve.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:37 pm

Search around on here a few other guys on here have made camper trailers. Ryains is one that comes to mind
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby steve80 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Cheers I will do that, I'll bet there is a lot of experience right in front of me!
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby steve80 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:36 pm

Sorry been a long time since I hopped on (My Appologies) I decided not to go ahead with my trailer and just bought a camper. I am doing it up at the moment fitting toolbox/jerrycan holders, gas bottle rings etc and then PAINT :roll:. Its a full chequerplate trailer and has a new imported camper top :( :oops: I purchased off Ebay hope it goes alright.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby steve80 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 pm

another pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby steve80 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:39 pm

work in progress
steve80
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Camper Trailers