Matting Under Floor

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Matting Under Floor

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:43 pm

Just wondering what peoiple place under the soft floor of their campertrailers, or do you. Last time out it took me quite some time to clean the underside of the camper tent as I was packing away.

I was thinking of the rubber annexe matting but at $49 a metre its a bit expensive although I will be using it in the annexe I have heard of people using shade cloth.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby freerocketman1 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:09 am

hi derek shade cloth seems to be the go if not a old tarp is what i yoused for under my tent, just a cheap one from crazy clarks does the trick. :grin:
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Troyk » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:59 am

Ditto, an old tarp. In saying that the way my CT folds up the floor folds up without touching the tent. I can also remove the floor and clean if neccessary.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby adow » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:22 pm

I use shadecloth as a floor for an annex, and I also peg down a large square outside the camper door (if I am not using the annex), and use it for a pathway from the camper to the kids' tent.
For sandy camping spots it is brilliant. The sand falls through and stones can be swept off, and water spills also disappear quickly.
Adelaide, South Australia
Happiest where the desert meets the sea
adow
Boy Scout

Postby will_deness » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:14 pm

Shadecloth! water runs through, easy to sweep, doesn't smother the grass like tarps do and best of all it doesnt mind "tent peg accupunture". the holes dont run or fray, also 1 more layer of protection between tne sharp twig or pebble and tent floor. A number of times caravan park operators have commented to us how they wish everybody would use shadecloth instead of tarps.
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:03 pm

will_deness wrote:Shadecloth! water runs through, easy to sweep, doesn't smother the grass like tarps do and best of all it doesnt mind "tent peg accupunture". the holes dont run or fray, also 1 more layer of protection between tne sharp twig or pebble and tent floor. A number of times caravan park operators have commented to us how they wish everybody would use shadecloth instead of tarps.

There is a product put out by Oztrail called Ultramesh which is very similar to shade cloth. The advantage of this is that it is already hemmed and eyeleted (tentpeg accupuncture not required) when you purchase it and comes in its very own carry bag.

I have found BCF to be the best place to purchase this as it comes on special fairly frequently.

It comes in various sizes, 8 x 8; 8 x 12; 8 x 16 and 8 x 20 from memory. As my annex is 24ft long I bought 2 and joined them.

It would also be suitable to put under the floor of a soft floor camper.

Cheers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Malcur » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:38 pm

There is a product put out by Oztrail called Ultramesh which is very similar to shade cloth. The advantage of this is that it is already hemmed and eyeleted (tentpeg accupuncture not required) when you purchase it and comes in its very own carry bag.

I use a small tarp (10 x 8) to fit under the tent, but the problem is that in the rain, the water flows over the tarp on to the underside of the tent, and it takes some time to dry. The Ultramesh stuff might do a better job.

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:33 am

Gypsy. what sort of cost are you looking at for Ultramesh - it sounds good.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:14 am

amanda wrote:Gypsy. what sort of cost are you looking at for Ultramesh - it sounds good.

It is extremely good Amanda, so much so that a number of my friends also now use it. The cost is quite attractive as is the performance and complete with finished edges and carry bag as well.

On special at BCF the last one 16 x 8 was about $42 from memory and the the 8 x 8 was I think $24 give or take a couple of $$. BCF often have a 25% off deal with them.

Think the original one of 20 x 8 that I purchased on special was about the $60 mark. Do be careful though as my local campering store was selling the same one for $99.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby PestMaster » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:36 pm

Malcur wrote:

I use a small tarp (10 x 8) to fit under the tent, but the problem is that in the rain, the water flows over the tarp on to the underside of the tent, and it takes some time to dry. The Ultramesh stuff might do a better job.

Mal

If you do use a tarp the trick is to not have any of the tarp protruding past the edges of the tent you are protecting. The tarp doesn't collect the rainwater and guide it under the tent.
PestMaster
Boy Scout

Postby PestMaster » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:40 pm

gypsylady wrote:
amanda wrote:Gypsy. what sort of cost are you looking at for Ultramesh - it sounds good.

It is extremely good Amanda, so much so that a number of my friends also now use it. The cost is quite attractive as is the performance and complete with finished edges and carry bag as well.

On special at BCF the last one 16 x 8 was about $42 from memory and the the 8 x 8 was I think $24 give or take a couple of $$. BCF often have a 25% off deal with them.

Think the original one of 20 x 8 that I purchased on special was about the $60 mark. Do be careful though as my local campering store was selling the same one for $99.

I have an ultramesh for my camper trailer annex - it is great material... good under foot also !
PestMaster
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:19 pm

PestMaster wrote:

If you do use a tarp the trick is to not have any of the tarp protruding past the edges of the tent you are protecting. The tarp doesn't collect the rainwater and guide it under the tent.

My experience with this is that it made no difference whether the tarp protruded past the edge of the tent or not. One way or another the water still seems to find its way under the tent floor and on top of the tarp.

It is not something that I have a problem with now but it certainly was when I was tenting. We ended up not putting anything under it, just wiped it with an old towel at pack up time.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby PestMaster » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:54 pm

It works for me gypsylady. Well, an distinct improvement at least.

I agree that nothing will ever keep rainwater completely off a tent floor on the ground though
PestMaster
Boy Scout

Return to Camper Trailers