Trialing a Camper Trailer

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Trialing a Camper Trailer

Postby amanda » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:11 pm

I'm giving some thought to getting a camper trailer, however I'd perhaps like to hire one for my next trip to "test drive" it so to speak before actually investing in one. Does anyone know of a company that hires them in either Gold Coast, Brisbane or Sunshine Coast?
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:17 pm

Johnnos Camper Trailers http://www.campertrailer.com.au/
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby amanda » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks Derek!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby will_deness » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:55 pm

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:20 pm

will_deness wrote:http://www.camperhire.com.au/

We hired a couple before purchasing our first CT. Can't say it really helped at all as you still have to pack up as you would normally with a tent etc. And it presented us with a whole new learning curve. We found that because we were unfamilar with setting it up packing it up we took just as long.

Unless you get one that is already fitted out like the ones from Ozroamer http://www.ozroamer.com.au/ I doubt you will see the convenience of them. Even then it would be doubtful.

I say this because most of them are basic units and you still have to pack all your bits into someone elses CT and then unpack again when you come home.

You miss out on the convenience of having it packed ready for a quick departure.

Maybe if you hired one for a couple of weeks you might get more of an idea but we only hired for 3 day weekends.

If you do decide to hire one you then have to decide if you want a hard floor or soft floor type. IMO the soft floor is far more forgiving when setting up and more family friendly. It is also overall larger inside the tent area.

However the hard floor has the advantage of being up off the ground and they often have a better kitchen setup.

Cheers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:03 pm

gypsylady wrote:
We hired a couple before purchasing our first CT. Can't say it really helped at all as you still have to pack up as you would normally with a tent etc.
Cheers...

It would give you a picture of the potential surely. Sure in the hire period you would have to consider the extra work/first time erection hassles. But the bigger picture would be, Is this for me and does it suit my style of travelling/camping.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:19 pm

will_deness wrote:
gypsylady wrote:
We hired a couple before purchasing our first CT. Can't say it really helped at all as you still have to pack up as you would normally with a tent etc.
Cheers...

It would give you a picture of the potential surely. Sure in the hire period you would have to consider the extra work/first time erection hassles. But the bigger picture would be, Is this for me and does it suit my style of travelling/camping.

Mine was a personal opinion Will and if I/we had run with our opinion after hiring a CT then we would never have purchased one.

We did not experience anything positive between what we knew and were familar with in our tent to what we experienced with the CT hire. In fact I came away feeling very disillusioned with the whole CT thing.

Everything was still in the same boxes that we packed when we tented, we just packed it into the CT as opposed to either the car or a trailer.

Again I say maybe a longer term camp or road trip might give a better idea but certainly for the short term the experience did not prove positive for me.

The other thing I found was that because it belonged to someone else we could not personalise it. I actually learned more about camper trailering after we purchased a secondhand one. We were then able to personalise it to suit our needs.

Again these coments are based on my personal experience with the hiring of a CT.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:58 pm

We are planning to spend at least a week in one to get a better idea of it.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:00 pm

amanda wrote:We are planning to spend at least a week in one to get a better idea of it.

Have you decided what type you want, a soft floor or hard floor Amanda??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Without having tried either, it's hard to tell, but I think my preference would be the soft floor.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:29 pm

amanda wrote:Without having tried either, it's hard to tell, but I think my preference would be the soft floor.

That is another decision you will have to make and I would recommend a soft floor for a family.

I have a hard floor myself but favour the soft floor for the reasons I have previously stated.

If you have a conventional 2WD tow vehicle or 'soft' 4WD and only plan to go to CPs and similar then I would suggest an 'on road' model.

If you have a larger 4WD and plan to go off the beaten track a bit then I would suggest an 'off road' model and even they vary considerably.

May I recommend that you go and have a look at some CTs, both types. Pretend you are going to buy one and that will at least give you some idea of what you might expect.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:35 pm

If you have a conventional 2WD tow vehicle or 'soft' 4WD and only plan to go to CPs and similar then I would suggest an 'on road' model.

If you have a larger 4WD and plan to go off the beaten track a bit then I would suggest an 'off road' model and even they vary considerably.

Or you could do what I have done. Buy an on road model and get the suspension upgraded to make it a light off road.

The options are endless actually.

What brand is yours GL. I nearly bought a CUB when I was looking.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Troyk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Amanda,

My brother a couple of years ago hired one from this mob.

http://www.baysidecampertrailers.com.au/

It came with a fair bit of gear like tables, chairs, pot and pans, tools etc, so you might want to ask what they they provide with it. They gave him a round up on how to set it up etc, but he did say to leave enough when you get back to clean it. Where we went was dusty. They also provied water in the tanks, charged the batteries, supplied the gas. It was pretty much take food, clothes and bedding.

The way it was done was fairly straight forward.

There will be a couple of CT at Bribie Island, if you are coming up. Happy to show you mine. I have an off road one.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Cruzin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi Amanda,

Bayside CT hire are very good people to deal with (although they are about a distance equal to 2x cut lunches from my place on the north shore Brisbane Bayside)
The avatar on the LHS of this post is actually the CT shown in the Hire section of Bayside CT Hire.

Another hirer is
http://www.campertrailerhire.net.au/
Absolutely no connect and a bit miffed he is using my other nick on many other sites ie Just Cruzin since 1994.

Also a good resource is

http://www.campertrailers.org/

and their "forum" which is Yahoo groups based

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers/

Heaps of info in the "Files" folder
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cam ... ers/files/

and also in the "Links" folder
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cam ... lers/links

IMHO a summary would be
Hard Floor CT for ease of erection and "gettin' on the road quicker"
Soft Floor for larger area under cover and for a longer stay.

I have used Soft floor CTs quite a lot and I am currently building one. I would dearly love to have a .. wait for it..
Hard Floor - Cub Spacematic - with a particular set-up (I don''t want bells and whistles as I have all the gear I want or will ever need) but it would be nice to have:
Drover suspension
No internal Kitchen whatso ever
No internal Kitchen table whatso ever
"Add a Room" enclosed annexe
Add an "en suite room" attached to the hard floor fold out area.
King size bed
Internal storage space by the buckets and the 3xway fridge that they come with (to supplement the Explorer fridge freezer)

But nobody has odered one like that so it is unlikely I would be able to buy it second hand, as I definately could not afford a new one - off purchase.

If you can get to one of the SE Qld CT getaways it is well worthwhile.
You can vist for the day or Camp or Caravan or whatever, members go out of their way to answer all Qs on CT and DIY projects & improvements

rgds
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:25 pm

Before we brought the camper we had a holiday in a Motor Home (NZ) and then hired a caravan and travelled to Great Ocean Road. We were planning to do a lap around Oz. Decided that camper trailer was the way to go due to ease of towing, better fuel consumption, then spent some time looking at different types (the 4 wheel drive and camping shows are great cause there a re heaps in the one place).
We settled on the hard floor (Cub Spacematic) because it had an inside kitchen and dinette as we were planning to be away for months.
Very rarely use either the inside kitchen or dinette unless the weather is poor but they are there.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Camper Trailers