Anyone Looking For A Good Esky

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:14 pm

Just had a look and they have my 80 litre model for $134 including postage to NSW.

On eBay was $110.

I have a post office box at the Post Office and I felt a bit silly going in for it. :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby jollyroger » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:28 pm

Doh!

i paid $119 for a 60litre delivered via Techni -ice wharehouse.

I want a 100 litre so I am now off to ebay!
Thanks Derek..
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby jollyroger » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:38 pm

I was told to use Dry Ice in them and they will last longer.

We spent about $30 on dry ice and wrapped them up layered as shown. It only lasted two days and just vaporised.

Use block ice in them. Keep the icecream containers and freeze them. Ours lasted 7 days with block ice in a HOT summer and very little water in the bottom. The are worth every cent we paid!
:+ :+ :+

We were told to use the ice gel packs to cure the esky before you go away. Get it cold before you go and then put the ice in. The ice will last much much longer. Don't take the gel packs away with you. They absorb every smell and juices in the esky. Use them to cure your esky before you go.

It really works! :?#
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

My Esky has arrived!!

Postby Frilly » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:04 pm

Hey All! My esky arrived during the week (thank goodness as Woodford starts Boxing Day!!). Arrived very well packed and I am absolutely thrilled with it thus far. Thanks for all the advice and hints and ideas Guys! Much appreciated!
Frilly
Camping Veteran

a question...

Postby Frilly » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:07 pm

Hey JollyRoger.. did you get dry ice pellets or a block?? I've heard the pellets don't last very well...
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Postby jollyroger » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:24 am

I got the blocks and they were wrapped in newspaper. The blokes at Liquide Air gave me some tips on how to keep it longer and then proceeded to give me extra ice for free. But that advise was fruiless. Frankly Dry Ice is pointless if you are opening the esky on a regular basis - especially with kids. Dry Ice is good if you never open the lid until you get home.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby BrettC » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:35 pm

I ordered a 40L version last Wednesday from the techni ice website and it arrived at my post office yesterday.

Can't complain about delivery like that.

The unit looks well made, very strong and sturdy.
Can't wait to try it out.

My old esky will be out the front next council cleanup day if anyone wants it.
If I can't smell the Eucalypts its not home.
BrettC
Boy Scout

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:56 pm

They are pretty good. Heres a photo of mine

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Komodo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:36 pm

They are simply awesome IMHO.

A mate of mine is looking at turning his into a fridge with a kit from a marine refigeration place and I tell you what its gunna be an almighty fridge!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Cruzin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:37 pm

Hey Komodo

I am interested in that DIY
I have a large Evakool esky and asked them about a retro fit and they advised.
Sell it and buy what you want..
It is hard to part with something I do a lot of research on in the first place and make the decision to part with the bucks.

Extremely happy with the EvaKool esky it is just that if I converted it into a 12 volt freezer it would be better.

rgds
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Hey Jollyroger did you use just dry ice?

I heard the trick is to use dry ice, with normal ice around it. The dry ice keeps the water ice frozen for longer and visa versa.

I'm yet to try this though, gotta love having a fridge :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby jollyroger » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Ozzycamperboy,

No wasn't told about adding ice. You would have to use something other than newspaper to seperate them. It makes sense though. It would look cool for the kids if you put a tourch in there and a little water at night. Make it look like a withes couldren!
Might have to try that out :?#

Have you seen the idoits that make dry ice bombs in the pool?
Very dangerous if you don't know what your doing. Look them up on Youtube. :shock:
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:32 pm

I've seen dry ice bombs, but not in the pool :?
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:42 pm

Gotta love youtube :lol:

Can some one say asphyxiation? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXA9ON6igk

Also saw the pool bombs, rather disappointing really. Was expecting water shooting up 5+ meters high :lol:
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Pauly » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:12 am

We ran our 100 ltre job just recently.I must say the esky didnt perform as well as it looked. We normally take a 65ltre evakool and 2 x 20 ltre ice cools with us. The evakool is the main esky and the 2 x 20ltre jobs are drink eskys, 1 for the kids and 1 for us, the idea being cold drinks in 65 then transfer at night to the little ones, after a night or so its warm drinks into 20's with a bit of ice from 65.
I had the brain storm of running 100 ltre esky full of ice on top of our usual system, the ice was melting in the 100 ltre esky and after 2 days I recon we had lost 15ltres a day and it wasnt hot.
We managed 5 nights using this system, with most days raining. I think had the temps been 38/40 we would have been buying ice in 3 days. Not sure what to make of the esky but they will struggle to go five days if its your main esky.

I guess in hind sight, it was comparable to the Eva kool at its a $400 compared to $150 just dont expect miracles.

Ps I had already doctored the seals on the Ice Teck
Pauly
Post Machine!

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Guide