Which Toaster? You choose

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Which Toaster? You choose

Postby Ponga » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:01 pm

Toast, mmn toast! So which type of toasting device do you use or recommend?

Just assembling and re-assembling our heap of gear for the weekend and find I have three gizmos for making toast, none of which have been used. :shock: So which one to take and which one(s) to leave at home?

I have:

Option 1 - Looks like a big square cheese grater (rather bulky with lethal knuckle grating edges on it)

Option 2 - Like a flat tin plate, with fewer knuckle grating edges and four wire bits that fold into the centre (reasonably flat and easy to pack).

Option 3 - A gauze type flimsy effort that only does one bit of toast at a time.

I know which one I'm preferring, but will it make a decent slice of toast for my brekky?
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Postby Komodo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:36 pm

Option 3.

Ive used both the other types and if you dont go with option 3 then option 2 is a good choice but these do rust out fairly quickly and will need to be replaced ($5-10)

We mostly just "fry", for want of a better word, our toast in a pan. We butter it lightly each side and chuck it in for a few seconds each side and its done. Not quite "toast" but very nice with eggs and bacon in the morning.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Pauly » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:48 am

Take all 3 and do a road test, bring the best one home and bin the rest :)
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Al&Sharon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:40 am

ah Komodo fried bread with Hp sauce bacon and egg cant beat it fat as hell tottaly unhealth but yuuuummmmmm.Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Cruzin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:52 am

You need to do more than one piece of toast at a time - makes for all sitting at the same meal "communicating" together.
I turfed all stove top toasters - too long to cook: too rusty to cook on etc

We have 2x Long handled (extendable) looking forks that have a swinging square frame attached at the end. You hold these over the fire or coals for about 10-20 seconds and they're done [both sides at once].

rgds
Shane Tyrril
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Re: Which Toaster? You choose

Postby cokebottle » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:20 am

Ponga wrote:Option 1 - Looks like a big square cheese grater (rather bulky with lethal knuckle grating edges on it)

I have that one & the scars inflicted by it ::() also the device presented a hazard to my fiancee, because she is a celiac - (allergic to wheat) I had to cook the kids bread after hers was toasted, but found that bits of the bread were stuck in the "cheese grater" and at one stage they even caught fire :shock:

I give the pyramid style a huge thumbs down & I will never use one again!

I am going to buy the flat disc type one today & try that when I go camping next weekend.

They have them on special at Go-lo & the Warehouse, but if they look too cheap & flimsy I will look elsewhere, maybe Kmart has them with their 25% off sale 8)

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:11 pm

I don't have one but these from Hillbilly have always interested me.

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby amanda » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:51 pm

I have the "Gauze type flimsy effort" and I love my camp toast! Not cooked properly in the middle, burnt on two edges, occasionally dropped from the toaster and retrieved with a layer of ash - wouldn't have it any other way!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:05 pm

We use a toaster that I've only seen available at the camping shows. They market it as a bruschetta maker. It is prettys sturdy, made in Brazil. Flat base with a wire top. Place bread on top and base over the flame. Toast good, crumpets great.
Reason I brought it was that it took me back to my young days. At home we had a gas stove and these toasters were the go but they were pretty flimsy tinplate then. This was before electric toasters and jugs in the average kitchen. Oops showing my age here. :(
If I forget to pack the toaster then the pan fired option is great. :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ponga » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:13 pm

Thanks guys and gals, you've been a real help. I'm glad I can leave the cheese grater at home, and will go with option 2 & 3.
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Postby BrettC » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:46 pm

The gauze toaster cooks the best toast IMO.

Nothing better than a bit of soft white bread charcoaled on the outside, smothered in butter, and a swipe of Vegemite.

Sometimes the simple things are the best.
If I can't smell the Eucalypts its not home.
BrettC
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:07 pm

Ponga wrote:Toast, mmn toast! So which type of toasting device do you use or recommend?

Option 3 - A gauze type flimsy effort that only does one bit of toast at a time.

If this is the one that is made with ss gauze and folds flat then it gets my vote.

I have been camping for 20+ years and a friend got me onto one many years ago and I have only just gone onto my second one in the last 2 years or so. I would have gotten easily 15 years out of the first one.

They were originally made by Primus but there are now a couple of different makes on the market and whereas they were originally about $17+ or so they are now down around the $12 mark.

Yes it only cooks one piece of toast at a time but it cooks literally in seconds.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby pecasita » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi there

Have you tried the stovetop toaster and bruschetta maker? Perrrfect and versatile. Look at ebay for search on google.

Cheers
Peca

Ponga wrote:Toast, mmn toast! So which type of toasting device do you use or recommend?

Just assembling and re-assembling our heap of gear for the weekend and find I have three gizmos for making toast, none of which have been used. :shock: So which one to take and which one(s) to leave at home?

I have:

Option 1 - Looks like a big square cheese grater (rather bulky with lethal knuckle grating edges on it)

Option 2 - Like a flat tin plate, with fewer knuckle grating edges and four wire bits that fold into the centre (reasonably flat and easy to pack).

I know which one I'm preferring, but will it make a decent slice of toast for my brekky?
pecasita

Postby CCC » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:19 pm

I want one of these

It works out more economical for myself, the way it cooks 4 in one go.
Otherwise I make French toast or jaffles for us all ( which I do 4 at a time as well)
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Four toast toaster...

Postby Frilly » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:36 pm

I have one of those and they are great... only problem is rust! I had mine for two dry camps and the first wet camp I took it on it was rusted in the first day (mind you a camp neighbour did borrow it and I don't know where he had it).. still useable just looks dirty and yeck!
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to Gear Guide