Hi all.

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi all.

Postby Galvin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi, i just found this forum, as i was searching the net about camping, how do do it, what to take etc. Ive never been camping before, so this site has been great for me, thanks very much. Ive just purchased a tent, i got a self inflating mattress, lights, weber babyq, and a ground sheet. I still need to buy folding chairs and table, but im poor at the moment :( . I was hoping to go camping at jervis bay during easter, any one know of good camping grounds there?? Ive made a few enquiries, and most are asking min 4 nights stay over easter, is this normal?? Also price varies from $29 to over $50. Wow, all i want is a small piece of space, i cant believe the price.
Anyway, come say hi, ill be around, id love to hear any advice you have for someone as new to it as me. :grin:
Galvin

Hello!

Postby Frilly » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:29 pm

Hey Galvin!! Sorry I don't know any thing in that area... I'm up in Queensland and have not ventured that far for camping. You've found a super site though... heaps of wonderful informative advice and really friendly. Happy Camping!!
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Postby Troyk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:40 pm

G'day and welcome Galvin. Looks like you are on the right track. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. I am sure you will get some good answers.

Anyhow enjoy your camping. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Re: Hi all.

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:33 pm

Galvin wrote:Ive made a few enquiries, and most are asking min 4 nights stay over easter, is this normal?? Also price varies from $29 to over $50. Wow, all i want is a small piece of space, i cant believe the price.
:

Paying for a minimum of 4 nights is often the case over Easter irrespective of how few nights you want. Easter seems to be the only time that I am aware of that has this requirement and it is amazing how many places get away with it.

$29 for 2 adults (if that is the case) is probably not too bad for Easter but $50 is way over the top IMO.

The lesser known places will be cheaper.

After saying all of that Gavin, WELCOME ABOARD.

Cheers..
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scolers » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:39 pm

G'day and weclome to the madness!

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:42 pm

G'day and welcome to the site. Unfortunately the parks bump up the prices over the holiday periods. Depends what you are looking for. If you want the facilities of a big park eg pool, recreation room etc you gotta pay for it. Rule of thumb is Big 4 big bucks - Top Tourist a bit cheaper and FPA slightly cheaper. :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ponga » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi Galvin, I'm new here too and we just did our first camp this weekend, which we felt went very well, mostly due to good advice and tips picked up from this site.
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:19 am

Ponga wrote:Hi Galvin, I'm new here too and we just did our first camp this weekend, which we felt went very well, mostly due to good advice and tips picked up from this site.

All accolades greatfully accepted and glad to hear it was a good camp Ponga, even if the toast did not cook properly.

Next time will be even better....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby cokebottle » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Galvin, I too don't have a lot of finance to throw at camping, but if you shop around you can get some bargains.

I bought my blow up beds & pump from Aldi, my gas bottle from Bunnings hardware & my tent from Supa Cheap Auto, sleeping bags, gas light, frying pan, camp kitchen & gas cooker from K-Mart, folding chairs & a kettle from Big W - I usually put things on lay-buy if I buy a few things then the next week or so I get them off.

Kmart has a 25% off camping/fishing sale at the moment & I think it ends today?

For a cheaper option try camping in a National Park depending on how popular they are they can be reasonable.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Camping Spots

Postby itchyant-senior » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Hi Galvin
Unfortunately, most private camping spots tend to take advantage of the peak season activity by expecting people to stay minimum periods at inflated prices. I guess it is the only way they can make ground on the slower times.
My suggestion is try some of the National Parks Camping grounds - much cheaper but unfortunately, more popular.
David
If you dream it - you can do it
itchyant-senior
Camping King

Return to Introductions: