Tent ropes.

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tent ropes.

Postby Galvin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi all, i just got a tent, its a diamantina drysdale 9. I put it up over the weekend to see how easy it was, as ive never put one up. I was very suprised at how easy i found it, i put it up in about 20 mins. The only problem i found were the tent ropes. The ropes have plastic toggle things on them which i presume tighten the ropes to the pegs, i just put the loop over the peg, pull on the end of the rope and it tightens. Sounds easy, and straight forward, yes, but, it cant tighten very much, it starts to slip back if i try to make it nice and tight. Is this so i cant damage the connections to the tent, or am i just not using it properly?? what if it was windy, wouldnt the toggles lossen??? Anyway, if that is all i had trouble with, i think i went well. I even managed to get the tent back in the bag :+
Thanks.
Galvin

Re: Tent ropes.

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:50 pm

Galvin wrote:Hi all, i just got a tent, its a diamantina drysdale 9. I put it up over the weekend to see how easy it was, as ive never put one up. I was very suprised at how easy i found it, i put it up in about 20 mins. The only problem i found were the tent ropes. The ropes have plastic toggle things on them which i presume tighten the ropes to the pegs, i just put the loop over the peg, pull on the end of the rope and it tightens. Sounds easy, and straight forward, yes, but, it cant tighten very much, it starts to slip back if i try to make it nice and tight. Is this so i cant damage the connections to the tent, or am i just not using it properly?? what if it was windy, wouldnt the toggles lossen??? Anyway, if that is all i had trouble with, i think i went well. I even managed to get the tent back in the bag :+
Thanks.

Hi Galvin

As I was not at all familar with this tent I went onto the net and had a look, pretty impressive tent. The reason I did this was to find out what type of tent it is and now that I know, my advice to you is dont worry about the guy ropes.

Just make sure you peg the tent down all the way round, in fact it would not hurt to buy some larger pegs than the ones supplied and use them for the corners. Being a dome tent it will stand up to unbelievable winds if it is pegged down properly.

In the wind they tend to bend right over and then pop right back up again and I say this from pesonal experience.

Yes the toggles (tensioners for the want of a better term) will loosed quite easily in windy conditions. I have them on my shower recess and am often re tensioning them even in normal conditions.

I have never found the need to use the guy ropes and tensioners on any of the dome tents I have camped in, even the large dome tent that I still have.

I hope you have a great Easter camp and that your camping becomes your greates newfound adventure.

Please let us know how you fared.

Cheers...
Last edited by GypsyLady on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:07 am

Getting the tent back into the bag is always the hardest part of a camping trip I find - well done!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:13 am

amanda wrote:Getting the tent back into the bag is always the hardest part of a camping trip I find - well done!

Yep, I would have to agree with that totally... much more difficult that packing up a CT.

I have heaps of trouble with the shower tent when I use it, it is almost enough to put me off putting it up.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby shermo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:20 pm

I also had trouble with the ropes supplied with the tent I bought.

What I did was replace all the ropes with bigger ones (about $2.00 per rope) Trust me if u don't it will drive u mad doing the supplied one up all the time
shermo
Camping King

Postby Galvin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:07 pm

Thanx for the replies, im glad i was not doing anything wrong with the ropes. The tent did seem very sturdy as it was, it would take a big wind to make it fall over(i hope). I was surprised it came with 2 tents, sort of, an inner tent, and an outer tent ( i hope i dont sound like an idiot, i know nothing about tents :--? ) I think it would be better in the rain like this, are all tents like that?? I think i would like to get better pegs all round, as even putting them in the ground once bent a few :( . The corners have weird flat ones, quite strong i think. Anyway, thankyou again for the advise, i have almost read everything on this site, so i feel armed and ready for the fun ahead :grin: Ill post and tell all of my adventures ::()
Galvin

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:25 pm

Galvin wrote:Thanx for the replies, im glad i was not doing anything wrong with the ropes. The tent did seem very sturdy as it was, it would take a big wind to make it fall over(i hope). I was surprised it came with 2 tents, sort of, an inner tent, and an outer tent ( i hope i dont sound like an idiot, i know nothing about tents :--? ) I think it would be better in the rain like this, are all tents like that?? I think i would like to get better pegs all round, as even putting them in the ground once bent a few :( . The corners have weird flat ones, quite strong i think. Anyway, thankyou again for the advise, i have almost read everything on this site, so i feel armed and ready for the fun ahead :grin: Ill post and tell all of my adventures ::()

The biggest majority of Dome tents have an inner tent section with an outer fly. That is pretty standard.

And when you think about it, not only is the tent pegged down but it will most likely have quite a bit of stuff inside the tent. It's not about to go anywhere in a hurry, believe me Galvin.

Now just go off and ENJOY...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Tent ropes.

Postby Ponga » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:06 pm

Galvin wrote:I even managed to get the tent back in the bag :+

That's an achievement in itself - well done. :+

We thought we did very well to get ours back in the bag after a test run in the garden, however in the 'field' yesterday, full of sand and grass, I'm afraid we scored nil points. It was just a step too far towards the 'too hard' basket and consequently the tent is now in a heap in the garage for another day.
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Postby amanda » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:30 am

After many fights with the tent to get it back in the bag I finally cheated and went to my local camping shop and bought another slightly larger bag for $8. Problem solved! (and the new bag is of a much tougher fabric and less likely to tear).
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:42 am

amanda wrote:After many fights with the tent to get it back in the bag I finally cheated and went to my local camping shop and bought another slightly larger bag for $8. Problem solved! (and the new bag is of a much tougher fabric and less likely to tear).

That is definitely a female thing Amanda, good action.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Cruzin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:29 pm

I use one of many of my daughter's "gym" bags
The rest are used for a lot of other camping items
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:01 pm

I replaced all the ropes on the tent with larger ones with springs. They provide better support, the spring means they don't pull out of the ground as easily. They are not expensive. Unfortunately the tent suppliers go with the cheapest options.

Did the same on the camper trailer annexe.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:43 am

Blue Bravo wrote:I replaced all the ropes on the tent with larger ones with springs. They provide better support, the spring means they don't pull out of the ground as easily. They are not expensive. Unfortunately the tent suppliers go with the cheapest options.

I checked out Galvin's tent on the internet and the guy ropes are very thin as they are on all dome tents and I doubt very much that they would support springs too successfully.

I know you also said larger ropes too but again I personally don't believe there would be any gain.

I believe springs are an absolute must on canvas tents/annexes and tarps and anywhere you have poles but not something as as light as a dome tent.

Cheers Gypsy...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:42 am

I only do the guy ropes on my dome around the vestibule area and even then only if its going to rain or stong winds are forecast.

- oh and sometimes to hold out the window flaps so that the air can get in but not the sun.

As for the 2 tents this is very common in dome tents and even the older style a frame tents. Also when I was a scout our canvas a frames (how I miss tieing square lashings - NOT) had flys and some of the wether we camped in you wouldnt catch me camping in today!
The idea is that the fly shouldnt come into contact with any thing and it shoudl remain taught thus the water basically will run off.

Ive noticed a couple of the camper trailer manufacturers are looking to this idea and calling them "tropical" roofs as they allow ventilation as well as adding extra protection from the rain.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:24 am

amanda wrote:Getting the tent back into the bag is always the hardest part of a camping trip I find - well done!

A big help is rolling the dome tent up around the breakable fibreglass braces, I found I can get it rolled up tighter and neater.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Gear Guide