Touring Tents

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Touring Tents

Postby Komodo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:16 pm

Any one got a touring tent from Southern Cross Canvas?

OR for that matter has any one got one of the touring tents with the extension part (ie similar to the touring 9+ style) I'm interested in how much extra time it takes to set this part up compared to a normal touring tent.

I'm also interested in on of the other Australian brands - I think its freedom who have a touring 9+ style tent which also has a pop up part in the extension area for additional ventalation
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:59 pm

I have the Tourer 9+ and it is great, the little extension is only 3 pieces and is easy to do by yourself but even quicker with 2 people. Heaps of room inside this tent for 2 people, a large car fridge, double bed and clothes bags.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Komodo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:24 pm

Cool sounds good.
Frinds of mine with a tourer 9 said that they thought the extension bit would take too long to setup thats why they stuck with the std 9. But they have a hilux 4x4 so they have plenty of easily accessable storage space for eskies and luggage etc where as I preffer to have all my gear in my tent (hence the dome with the vestibule area which im replacing)

The Southern Cross Canvas tent is about $1300 compared to $3-400ish for the cheaper overseas made tents. So I am a little dubious to out lay that amount of money (even though I would preffer to buy australian made) if the extra money is going to waste so to speak

Edit: this is the freedom tent i was describing earlier
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Mine is the Oz-Trail 9+ seems good except the when folded up and in the bag its about 1m x 1m and about 15 cms thick, I don't understand why your friends thought the little extra would take too long to set up? its 3 peices that clip together and slip under some rings on the tent? maybe 1 minute all up including getting them out of the bag :?
Kramer

Postby Kramer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:31 pm

Wow that freedom looks awesome :shock: I have never seen one in the flesh so I can't comment on how easy they are to put up. My poor 9+ hasn't seen too much work since I bought the camper but I am going to keep it for when I go away with mates etc I don't need the comfort of a whole camper :grin:
Kramer

Postby garbage » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:08 pm

I've got a Kiwi made COI Leisure Tornado 3m x 3m. It's of similar build to the Southern Cross - heavy canvas, centre pole, quality zips, etc. Can't comment on the extension as mine doesn't have this. Unfortunately, this tent has been discontinued, but it was around the $700 mark at the time. They do have lighter China made ones now that go under the name Primus Red Desert. I think they come in around the $400 mark now.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:45 pm

We have an Oz Trail Tourer 9. We didn't get the plus but now think that was a mistake as it would provide extra storage area. We use the small A frame and side poles to eliminate the centre pole and this gives you a bit more flexibility. Haggle with the retailer to get them to throw this in for free ( BCF did)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide