This may answer some questions about your posts :

Forum Rules, post questions, comments or suggestions, about this forum or website.

This may answer some questions about your posts :

Postby CCC » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:28 pm

Here is a run down on the different sections and what Admin have allowed and not allowed general members ( * any member other than Moderators and Administrators) to do to their own posts :

Questions & Comments About the Camping Site and Forum.
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Alerts
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum

Introductions:
You can delete your posts in this forum

Australian Park Reviews

Camping Locations, Tips, General.

RVers, Campervanning etc.

Groups, 4WD, Social Events etc.

General Chit-Chat

Gear Guide

The Camping Shop

Buy Sell or Trade

Outdoor Industry Employment Wanted | Offered.
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Administration

Postby Activity_Dept » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:34 pm

Hey Central Coast Campers (CCC) thanks for doing that.

Just to let you know its more a case of what was originally set as opposed to any thought out intent. So if anyone has any comments on what privileges they want just let me know I am happy to go with the consensus.

Also any ideas on new threads, activities etc... particularly for The Camping Club.

:+
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Komodo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:38 pm

Guys I know I've made suggestions as to re-thinking the layout of the forum But perhaps with the changes with a few more of you guys on board as moderators something could be implemented.

my suggestion is as pictured:

I feel that currently there is too muc confusing as to where to post what and a few forums that dont really get used the employment section for one and the trader and for sale sections hardly get used
And Generally I dont feel comfortable posting OT topics in general chit chat because its still used for on topic discussion and I dont like to clutter what a view as an important forum with relatively unimportant banter. And I feel with a proper off topic section more general chit chat will spring up and thus more members might choose to hang around (you've got to admit we do have a high number of passing through members and very few of us hang around)

Also I think a stat by state where to go is a good Idea because I find that I see places that I've never heard of and I google them and they are in other states all the time. If they were in a state by state Im sure memebers from those state could post advice and if someone from one state was travelling to another they could ask in that stats forum where the must go places are etc. This could also extend to having information eventually on permits etc and how to obtain them and this I feel would be very valuable to members.

Also I think software update has to come soon. This software is out dated And we need to enable file attachments. Im sure gypsylady and myself arent the only ones who get frustrated by having to upload onto sites like photobucked then having to copy the link over.

Any way thats my 2c
Good luck with it guys and keep up the good work the forum generally runs quite well and the spammers seem to be pretty much elliminated
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:26 pm

Komodo, what about the Group,4WD and Social section. Finally got some power around here and you want to take it away! :(

Seriously, I think changes are inevitable as you need to modify to suit the demand so to speak. I think things could be better organised if their were sub forums or child sections. Say for Aust Park Review have the states (and NZ) list as sub headings. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Komodo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:27 pm

"what about the Group,4WD and Social section"
exactly troy what about it? what is intended to be discussed in here?

4x4's?
Social outtings (picnics)?
Groups?
Trips away?

In all honesty what is duscussed in that section would be better discussed in the forum for the relevant state. I look under that forum and there is 4 stickies related to trips/events/meets planned for south east queensland - thats a few thousand kilometers from my care factor and just make navigating the forum cluttered as its only relevant to people in queensland or people planning to make a trip to queensland.
Imagine if there was events taking place in victoria nsw and wa as well - we'd have 16 stickies! I can only see 20 topics before I need to scroll down - what a waste of screen real estate...
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:48 pm

Komodo, It was a joke. 8)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby Komodo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:58 pm

LOL fair call troy i'll hop off my soap box now
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:13 pm

I don't think we really have THAT many users at the moment to warrant a state by state section for camping locations. Maybe just advise everyone to insert the state in brackets in the thread title.

I think there's a few sections that are border line the same and can be merged. For example, we don't really need a "Gear Guide" section while we have a "Camping Locations, Tips, General" Camping tips and general camping talk, to me would include talking about the gear you use.

"Questions & Comments About the Camping Site and Forum" Could just be a sticky at the top of Gen Chit Chat

"Outdoor Industry Employment Wanted | Offered." Could really be scrapped, no one seems to use it. Again, could just make a sticky at the top of General Chit Chat.

So that gets rid of three whole sections, I'd be tempted to somehow incorporate introductions into gen chat as well, given that most of the introductions just be come mindless dribble anyway :P But then again its a good spot for new people to post their intro and ask the questions that they probably joined the forum for in the first place, without deciding on which section to put it in.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby stevo. » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:39 pm

yeapo, too many forums have way too many sections and unless you have heaps and heaps of traffic they don't all get used, ... it'd be easier if there were fewer sections, and that would make more traffic in each section so it;'d seem busier.

though, i think we should make a new section called "Steve's 4wd Adventures"
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:16 am

Komodo wrote:Guys I know I've made suggestions as to re-thinking the layout of the forum But perhaps with the changes with a few more of you guys on board as moderators something could be implemented.

my suggestion is as pictured:

I feel that currently there is too muc confusing as to where to post what and a few forums that dont really get used the employment section for one and the trader and for sale sections hardly get used
And Generally I dont feel comfortable posting OT topics in general chit chat because its still used for on topic discussion and I dont like to clutter what a view as an important forum with relatively unimportant banter. And I feel with a proper off topic section more general chit chat will spring up and thus more members might choose to hang around (you've got to admit we do have a high number of passing through members and very few of us hang around)

Also I think a stat by state where to go is a good Idea because I find that I see places that I've never heard of and I google them and they are in other states all the time. If they were in a state by state Im sure memebers from those state could post advice and if someone from one state was travelling to another they could ask in that stats forum where the must go places are etc. This could also extend to having information eventually on permits etc and how to obtain them and this I feel would be very valuable to members.

Also I think software update has to come soon. This software is out dated And we need to enable file attachments. Im sure gypsylady and myself arent the only ones who get frustrated by having to upload onto sites like photobucked then having to copy the link over.

Any way thats my 2c
Good luck with it guys and keep up the good work the forum generally runs quite well and the spammers seem to be pretty much elliminated

It has been suggested before in a previous post and I will mention it again for those of us with a canine family who also camp with us.

I would like to see a Pet Friendly Camping Locations section please.

And thank you Komodo, you are totally right in what you say re the posting of pics.

BTW Komodo, think it was more like $2 worth...

Cheers Gypsy
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:44 pm

I dont have a problem with creating a link or clicking a link to flikr or photobucket. what I find annoying is when someone posts a series of photos into a forum (which isn't a problem), but then everyone there after who quotes that person, quotes the whole series of photo's, and everyone who then quotes the quoter does the same . IMHO it just fills the page of repeat photos
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:46 pm

will_deness wrote: then everyone there after who quotes that person, quotes the whole series of photo's, and everyone who then quotes the quoter does the same . IMHO it just fills the page of repeat photos

I agree, this can get to be a little over the top sometimes.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Feedback

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Wow great feedback everyone thank you. That looks like a good layout Komodo. I guess my one concern with separating the States has been as Ozzy pointed out "I'm not sure we have the numbers yet" but I can really see the advantages when we do. However like you say the fact that we do separate them may attract and hold more members. We do have a very high attrition rate.

I have to say with respect to particularly the positions vacant/wanted and reviews I honestly through (hoped) we would have some activity (support) from the parks themselves. It is interesting to see how the site has developed and I am surprised that we do not have any parks or commercial suppliers looking to promotion their wares. Some of the threads I guess are there in anticipation of these commercial users however it looks like we are all end users and as such you are right it is probably about time we catered more for this group.

Merging the topics into new threads may take a little time. I am also scouting around for a new forum software so this is on the cards. I guess another point is we build a lot of proprietary tools (groups, calendars, classifieds etc.) that is in the camping members section and never gets used so has kinda been left to run down a little I would have liked to incorporate this into any future plans but it looks like it will be easier to just install new forum software which incorporates some of these tools anyway.

OK theres my 2 cents worth, so the more feedback the better, your points are taken and are on the cards but keep in mind I am a poor and lazy bugger and this may take a few months. But I am working towards it I know it is well due.

Any other ideas on how we build the numbers, i.e. apart from pics and video, embedding, a better layout and post stats anything else on anyones wish list? Any promotional ideas?
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Re: Feedback

Postby will_deness » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:50 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:I guess my one concern with separating the States has been as Ozzy pointed out "I'm not sure we have the numbers yet"

Maybe the two or three busiest states get their own page, and the rest are bundled till such time when numbers are up. IMHO Queensland and NSW deserve their own spot.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:30 pm

Activity_Dept, thanks for the update. :grin:

Troyk

Next

Return to Forum Rules, Questions & Comments.