Help setting up annex

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Help setting up annex

Postby sharon wilson » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi, I'm a new member and pretty green when it comes to camping. I recently purchased a brand new off road camper which we had built to our specs. (we want to mount our sons motorbike to the drawbar) Anyway we picked it up from Bundaberg and had a night in it at the Bargara caravan park (nice place!)

Its a great camper and we're really happy with it but the problem is that we had difficulty setting up the annex and the weight of the heavy rain collapsed it!! Please can someone give me their foolproof set-up plan. The annex has 4 spreaders from the tent and 2 across the front of the annex which sit on 4 poles. The annex walls then velcro on. It just seems that there is sagging no matter how hard we try to stretch out the thing. Help!!!!

Also, how much weathering does it need to become totally waterproof? It still leaks near the bed through the seams and when the mattress is touching the canvas. Its 13 ounce.
Thanks guys
sharon wilson

Re: Help setting up annex

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:04 pm

sharon wilson wrote:Hi, I'm a new member and pretty green when it comes to camping. I recently purchased a brand new off road camper which we had built to our specs. (we want to mount our sons motorbike to the drawbar) Anyway we picked it up from Bundaberg and had a night in it at the Bargara caravan park (nice place!)

Its a great camper and we're really happy with it but the problem is that we had difficulty setting up the annex and the weight of the heavy rain collapsed it!! Please can someone give me their foolproof set-up plan. The annex has 4 spreaders from the tent and 2 across the front of the annex which sit on 4 poles. The annex walls then velcro on. It just seems that there is sagging no matter how hard we try to stretch out the thing. Help!!!!

Also, how much weathering does it need to become totally waterproof? It still leaks near the bed through the seams and when the mattress is touching the canvas. Its 13 ounce.
Thanks guys

Hi Sharon and WELCOME.

Re weathering your canvas, you will probably need to have the canvas soaked through and dried out a few times before weathering is complete. The canvas will stretch when it is wet and then shrink again when dry.

I am surprised that the people where you purchased your camper from did not go though the setting up of it with you.

Without actually seeing the annex it is difficult to advise you how to do what. The general rule of thumb is to have the annex roof on a good slope in the rain so that the water does not pool on top.

Sometimes this can be done by having the roof slope away to one outer corner of the annex or alternatively drop the outer poles lower than the camper roof line so the water runs off.

Do your ropes have springs on them so that you can tighten them up thus pulling the annex roof taut. Some campers come with plastic tensioners which are not as good performers as springs. If you have these it may be worth replacing them with springs which will give you greater control over the tensioning of the ropes.

You say you have 4 poles....is that across the front, longest/widest part of the annex?? Do you have an option to put more poles in, if so I would add them when it looks like rain or very windy conditions.

My annex is 24' across and I would normally only use 4 poles over that distance, however if it gets windy or heavy rain I add a few more to give it greater stability. I also add an extra one on either side.

Are you using double ropes on the corners and setting them up at 90 degree angles?? This will also contribute to a more stable set up.

Hope this helps a bit Sharon, please don't hesitate to seek further info if you need it.

Cheers Gypsy...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Help setting up annex

Postby PestMaster » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:04 pm

I had a small problem with my annexe before I replaced the strong springs for some weaker ones.
The extra 'give' made it all work much better when it it windy.
PestMaster
Boy Scout

Return to Gear Guide