This may answer some questions about your posts :

Forum Rules, post questions, comments or suggestions, about this forum or website.

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:20 am

Komodo wrote:gypsylady personally I think polls don't need their own section

where as newbies I see as a place for newbies to ask really basic questions like "what peg do i need" "newbie to camping needs help" "HELP first time campers"

Well I still disagree with you on the Polls section Komodo but that's life.

My belief is that if we had them all in the one place they would be much easier to find. Much easier to source the info and results too. New comers would be able to go there (pretty self explanatory) to have a look at what has already occurred and get some ideas from them. It could then generate more forum activity which is what I thought you were aiming for.

Re the newbies, why not have it as you have already explained, it would be less confusing that way. "HELP first time campers" is again pretty self explanatory.

My thoughts.

Cheers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:30 pm

I think with polls the only issue with haveing them in one section is that they relate to sooo many topics.

IE a poll "which do you think is better - holden or ford" would be long in open discussion (or "the campfire" as I called it)
however a poll "what do you think is better - coleman or blackwolf tents" would belong in gear guide
a poll "landcruiser Vs Pajaro Vs Patrol" would belong in 4x4 discussion.

Most people wouldnt (now this is just my opinion) go looking for a poll. I know I personally more than likely wouldnt even look in the "polls" forum but if I am in the 4x4 discussion section for example and I see a poll in the last ten topics I will open it and cast a vote. Most people will set up a poll and act on the results of the poll within 2 weeks. If people two months later are looking for advice on the same topic they will either search OR the more likely senario in my experiance is that they will start a new topic or possibly even poll. On most forums you will see the same topics posted the same questions asked time after time after time. its the nature of the beast known as an internet forum, and for the most part it works well as peole get confused by searching - particularly people without much experiance with internet forums and these are the most important people to win over as they are the hardest to win over unless it is simple to use.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:43 pm

Komodo wrote:I think with polls the only issue with haveing them in one section is that they relate to sooo many topics.

I know I personally more than likely wouldnt even look in the "polls" forum .

You wouldn't look for a poll because of your own personal experience Komodo. The same can't necessarily be said for newcomers.

I believe if people are able to identify something easily they will usually follow it up.

It is an easy way to get people initially involved and it gives them the confidence to move on to other things.

Like you said...my personal opinion....

Cheers Gypsy..
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:55 pm

The key is to make the site easy to navigate. As in life you can't be everything to everyone and if you try to please everyone you will eventually let down everyone.It's all well and good to have lots of pages on everything from pets to camp ovens, but try to look at it through the eyes of a new person to the site. In my experience if a site has lots of vague headings on it, I usually simply keep on moving.
ps; This is sure turning into a long thread :)
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:15 pm

gypsy Whilst I get where you are coming from I dont understand why anyone would go looking for random polls to vote in?
would you go look in the polls section before you opened a topic for discussion in another section

for example you post a poll in the polls section
"Toyota Landcruiser Vs Nissan Patrol"

then where does discussion go? should that go under 4x4 discussion or should it remain under Polls? if there is constructive discussion wouldnt that be better under the 4x4 discussion? this discussion could be overlooked by someone with knowledge on the topic if they arent looking in the polls section.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby amanda » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:30 pm

I agree with you Komodo - If I was searching for information on a particular topic, I would head straight for the section pertaining to it, and looking under a "poll' section would probably be my last resort.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Feedback

Postby Activity_Dept » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:05 pm

Some great feedback everyone thank you. I think initially the outcome will be determined by the amount of time it takes to start categorizing the current posts i.e. I will start with breaking up the locations into States (or at least regions) then go from there. In the first instance I think simple is better as we build we can start say categorizing gear etc.

One question for you Komodo (and anyone else who wants to comment) on the headings for the locations; up to now the goal has been for people to write reviews, obviously now that we have a bit of a list it is becoming more of a location guide but still our primary goal is park reviews. Do you think naming this as more of a location guide will detract from people writing reviews?

Ultimately the goal will be to have a comprehensive list of categories and sub categories for ease of searching as Komodo says people don’t often use the search tool. But as it stands I don’t think we have enough posts to put in some of the categories and I do note people are apprehensive to post if there are not a lot of posts already. So between the work involved (in the first instance at least) of categorizing the current posts and the lack of posts for some of the categories I think we will take baby steps at the start and hopefully grow into a more comprehensive list as we go.

But the park reviews are important to get right so any comments on how we can keep these coming in while still offering a location guide would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your input. :+

I hope I can live up to everyones expectations. ::()
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Komodo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:17 pm

Activity_dept I have no idea how to encourage park reviews.

I guess if you wrote up a templete for how you would like the review done this would help (I know a lot of forums now use templetes for "for sale items")

IE:

Park name:
Park location:
Type of park:
Give a list of options to choose
special features
rating out of 10
comments

But honestly Im clutching at staws here for ideas - i really have nfi how to encourage park reviews.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Feedback

Postby will_deness » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:One question for you Komodo (and anyone else who wants to comment) on the headings for the locations; up to now the goal has been for people to write reviews, obviously now that we have a bit of a list it is becoming more of a location guide but still our primary goal is park reviews. Do you think naming this as more of a location guide will detract from people writing reviews?

IMO no, as long as we keep doing it any newer people who come along will see whats happening and follow along with that process
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:20 pm

I guess a date of review and if possible the names of the park owners would be good so that if anything changes ...
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:26 pm

Komodo wrote:Activity_dept I have no idea how to encourage park reviews.

Put the score/rating in the heading and the reason why you gave it that rating in the body. I know theres no hard and firm rules on rating. For example someone would give a park a extra point for being dog friendly, whereas me I would take a point off. Also bear in mind a rating is a opinion not nessesarily a factual statement.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:26 pm

[quote="Komodo"]
would you go look in the polls section before you opened a topic for discussion in another section

In a word YES I would always look under Polls to see what has transpired before I joined

then where does discussion go?

I believe it should stay under Polls, after all that is what has instigated the discussion.

Komodo, we are obviously not going to agree on this so I feel it is best left at that. I have expressed my opinion and as I am not a decision maker it is not for me to pursue any further.

Cheers...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:30 pm

amanda wrote:I agree with you Komodo - If I was searching for information on a particular topic, I would head straight for the section pertaining to it, and looking under a "poll' section would probably be my last resort.

It was not my suggestion that anyone would be necessarily searching for anything in particular.

I would not look under a Poll for info either but that is not to say that I would not read what has been polled and what has come out of it, just out of curiosity.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Komodo wrote:I guess a date of review and if possible the names of the park owners would be good so that if anything changes ...

I think the date of review is good.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:39 pm

gypsylady wrote:Komodo, we are obviously not going to agree on this so I feel it is best left at that. I have expressed my opinion and as I am not a decision maker it is not for me to pursue any further.

Hmmm that may be a lot of this sites reason for the attrition rate! not enough "healhy disscussion".
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Rules, Questions & Comments.