tell me about your critters

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Scolers » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:41 pm

Jungle juice? I want to try some!

I don't kno if it's still there ... if it is ... be careful ... it's deadly stuff!

:shock:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Scolers » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:50 pm

OK ... I stuffed up ... it's not Wollemi where Dr. Jurds is it's Wollembi ...

Here's a link to the famed 'Jungle Juice' ...

http://www.wollombitavern.com.au/DrJurd/index.htm

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Eric and Jo » Wed May 17, 2006 1:27 pm

Stepka
It seems to me that the people in thosse other places i will not mention are not as freindly as Queenslanders.
I dont know when you are planning to be here but you have an open invertation to stay with us for a couple of days or more if you like.
Its not the Hilton but its compfortable.
As for our critters? we have snakes, spiders, dingos (small scragly looking dog), crocs(not where i live but further north),marine stingers (in the sea also further north) and last but not least Queensland is the home of the famouse drop bear that the others have already rocked the legend of.
In the last six years i have seen 2 snakes (one not venomouse the other unidentified) both of which, slithered away befor i could even get my camera out.
Two types of spiders red back quite venomouse but not agressive (in other words dont disturb it directly it wont run after you and bite you)
The other is a huntsman (which does not use a web but, as its name sugests "hunts") also not agressive and as far as i know not venomouse as such but can give a painful and nasty bite full of germs.
I think its like you say knowledge is power and the only real thing to fear is fear itself. I think a good first aid course is a good idea.
The real problems you might need to be informed of are things that most visitors wouldnt know, like road conditions, weather conditions, what to do if stranded, and trust me it even catches out Ausies that have taken it for granted.
Well the other thing to say is enjoy and best wishes.
WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA.
If it aint broke dont fix it.
Eric and Jo

Creatures

Postby PeterH » Wed May 17, 2006 2:25 pm

For some reason everyone likes to terify visitors to this country with tales and nasties everywhere. In 40 years of camping (in some very remote spots) I've never had an encounter with anything that has caused me concern. Yep we have snakes and spiders and sharks etc. but I'm more concerned about driving on the road and walking down the street than the natural creatures that abound. Be aware they exist, be prepared that if you encounter anything in the sticks it is more likely to be scared of you than the other way around. More people are attacked by trying to kill snakes and spiders etc, than if they just walked away.
Get a basic first aid kit and do some reading on basic treatment but don't let any of it stop you from enjoying yourself. As was said earlier probably the biggest problem is the vast distances needed to travel. It's not until you start to drive that you realise how vast the country is.
PeterH

Postby Kramer » Thu May 18, 2006 9:36 am

I am with Peter H its not that bad at all you have more chances of dying from being run over by a road train than being bitten by a snake, spider or crocodile.

If you see them don't touch them!
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Thu May 18, 2006 11:48 am

Kramer wrote:I am with Peter H its not that bad at all you have more chances of dying from being run over by a road train than being bitten by a snake, spider or crocodile.

If you see them don't touch them!

What he said ^

:)
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby stepka » Thu May 25, 2006 4:30 pm

Hey folks, that sounds like great advice, and probably what I would tell anyone worried about our critters. The latest thing going around here, and I have no idea if it's true, but we have a spider called the "Daddy longlegs". These things are totally harmless, and hang all over the place, and no one ever thinks twice about them. What I've heard though is that they are the absolute most venomous spider on earth--they just have no way to bite anyone. I don't know if I believe it or not though.

Your thing about traffic is so true too. I moved from the big city to the country 9 years ago, and thought that the traffic would be much safer, since it is so sparse here, but I have known a handful of people who have been killed or badly hurt in an accident since we moved here, and never knew anyone who'd been in a bad accident when in the city. We ourselves came very close to getting killed last summer, and are still wondering how we survived that one.

Eric and Jo, that is a very nice offer, and as we get more of our trip planned, we may PM you all. Right now we're selling our house, and after that's done, this will all seem more real.

But anyway, all of your replies are very reassuring, and we'll be coming on in November as planned. I can't find any dropbear repellant over here though, so will have to get it there.

:roll:
stepka
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Thu May 25, 2006 10:38 pm

stepka wrote: I can't find any dropbear repellant over here though, so will have to get it there.

:roll:

We've just run out ... ;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby HGMonaro » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:28 pm

Read this (BTW, I'm not the author), it will set you straight ;)

http://unite.com.au/~u3819a/various/aust.html
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby jollyroger » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:17 pm

Are you all for real...Australia is the dealiest country in the world.
To quote Billy Connolly...How the hell do Aussies live past puberty?

You have the top eight of the worlds most poisonous snakes.
Blue ringed octopus.
SHARKS :shock:
The top nine of the worlds most poisonous spiders.
Box Jelly fish Man Of War Jellyfish.
We have these things in the tropics warm waters - if you just brush agaisnt it - SPPLATT - DEAD! WTF is that all about.

when we came to Australia we were told Huntsman Spiders give you gangreen if they touch you.
Not one has lived longer than a minute near me!

If you come here wrap your self in cotton wool and stay away from wildlife.

But seriously 8)

It's all TRUE!

Be careful.....
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Scolers » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:34 pm

You forgot the drunks ... ;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:31 pm

jollyroger wrote:when we came to Australia we were told Huntsman Spiders give you gangreen if they touch you.
Not one has lived longer than a minute near me!
thats utter BS. Had several on me (all on different occasions :wink: :lol: ) and never even been bitten. A Friend of mine was bitten about a year ago and he got a bit quesy and scored one day of school :shock: , thats all. Dont think he even went to the docs for it.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby jollyroger » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:53 pm

I know it's BS. Just last summer I was bitten by a huntsman whilsts destroying an old tree stump. The little c^%# held on for a few seconds (which felt like hours).

I dined on it for a few weeks...we had gangreen watch going with the kids and neighbours.
It hurt like hell for about a whole half hour. I still keep watch even though the two fang marks have long gone.

But watch out fo the White Tipped spider. My brother in law nearly lost his thumb from ebing bitten by one. His whole arm up to the arm pit started to die and rot. They managed to save it all but after a long long stretch of treatment. That is the truth! he is scared for life from picking up a bit of fire wood in suburbia.... :(
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:28 pm

yea white tails are one of the few spiders I kill indiscriminately and instantly. Nasty lil buggers. Apparently its not their venom but the germs/bacteria they carry on their fangs that cause the horrific damage, which is why some people get lucky and only have minor reactions :shock:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:59 pm

I LOVE Huntsman spiders.

We usually have a few around the house. A few third generation now ... if you have to pick them up just put them on the back of your hand and dont make sudden moves ... they are pretty tame really.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations