Fishing gear

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Fishing gear

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Haven't been properly fishing since I was a teenager and I've never bought a rod in my life.

Want to get into it again, and of course, don't want to spend loads of money :mrgreen:

Is it reasonable to expect a good rod/reel combo for under $100?

How many KG's rating is good?

Looking at doing mostly river fishing, with occasional coastal stuff but don't want a beach rod - too long.

Had a short look in BCF a few weeks ago and they had stuff around the $70-80 mark with little tags saying 6-8kg. Don't remember the brands though :oops:

What should I look for and/or avoid?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:10 pm

You've got the right idea.

Won't go wrong with a good 'ole "Black Queen" (Jarvis Walker) or similar sized Ugly Stick.

Most reels these days are fine as long as you maintain them (wash after use and grease occasionly). Make sure you can change the handle if you need to. Don't go too heavy on reel or line. Some reels come with an extra spool which you can load with a bit heavier line for the appropiate occasion.

Don't forget to budget for tackle!

Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:35 pm

See the Post re K Mart sale :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:21 pm

6-7kg sound good for the type of fishing your looking at doing infact possibly a little heavy but a good weight for a begginer.

are you looking to do more casting (spinning) or more bait fishing?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby No_Eyed_Deer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:23 pm

And Ozzy I reckon it won't matter what the price tag on your fishing gear is....under $100 or too bloody much.....either way it won't guarantee you'll catch anything! Ah, the joys of fishing!
No_Eyed_Deer
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:59 pm

I can't believe there is a comparison of Jarvis Walker with Ugly Stick ... ::()

Ugly Stick are a damn good rod ... JW are what you buy if you really are really hard up for $$$.

I buy most of my decent rods second hand as they have rarely been used ... I managed to get a 10ft Wilson Live Fibre ($220 new ... I paid $120) buy searching fishing forums. This is more of a beach rod but I'm sure you can get a decent esturary rod for around the $50 mark. Reels are the same.

Good luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:42 am

Reels are a science Scol!

Though Ive never paid more than $200 for a reel. Some of the guys in the club (including my old man) when they came back from crocker bought some very exy overhead bait casters and they are awesome. BUT unless you know how to cast one they arent worth $50 letalone the type of money they attract.

Stick with a package Also dont be afraid to go to a local (reputable) fishing tackle store - they do stock stuff for beginers and they will be able to give you the right advice. Its what they do for a living!

Ive got a few grands worth of fly fishing gear as dry fly for trout is my sport (and Ive got a bloody good action even if i do say so myself!)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby shermo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:47 pm

as mentioned KMART has on sale some times ugly stick with shakpspeare reels that is all i use got mine for $50.00 each

Shermo
shermo
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 am

Scolers wrote:I can't believe there is a comparison of Jarvis Walker with Ugly Stick ... ::()

Ugly Stick are a damn good rod ... JW are what you buy if you really are really hard up for $$$.

See I wish I could remember advice like that when I'm 50k's away from my puter and at the checkout.... I got a Jarvis Walker :lol:

Oddly enough, the few fishing shops around here only had girly girl types who didn't know anything at the time I went in. And the one joint that had a feller who knew at least a bit about what he's talking about had about 5 rod/reel combos, in total :? So not much to choose from - will prolly go back there for some tackle tho.

So it's a Jarvis Walker Classic Series III, rod/reel from BigW for $60. Spooled with Sufix fishing line (can't find its weight written anywhere tho), 3 bearings, stainless steel main shaft, brass pinion gear and integrated solid tip rod. Sounds fancy but I'll bet its not :mrgreen:

And its 8ft long :shock: I swear it looked smaller in the shop. Says line class, 4-10kg on the packaging. 5500 on the side of the reel, and holds 170m of 20lb line. Figure I'll use this line till it breaks and then go to braided. But it's pretty heavy line so I don't think that will be a concern too soon.

Now, if anyone reads this before lunchtime. What do you use as bait for cod? :armsup: Or anything thats not carp :lol:

Was planning on making a crab trap out of a 2L coke bottle if I can find one, will crabs or yabbies do for bait? Or are lures better? River is pretty brown so I'd have thought fish wouldn't see a lure too easily.
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby HGMonaro » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:32 pm

I haven't been in a BigW to check on my thoughts regarding Ugly Sticks sold in chain stores... but I bet they're not the same as the ones that started their good reputation. Also, I saw a Penn rod and reel combo in a catalogue for $63.86 (or something like that) so you can't tell me that's the same as the $200+ Penn reels I grew up on.

Nige.

P.S. Have no idea about bait.. but ask the bait shop!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:10 pm

You get what you pay for :roll:

But stuff me, I thought it would last more than a day ::()

Reel broke tonight. Pretty damn annoying. Hope I can find the receipt :evil:
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:20 pm

Was the fish too big or did you get caught on a snag :lol:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:21 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:Was the fish too big or did you get caught on a snag :lol:

Neither :?

I was laying on my swag at the shorline, hadn't had a bite in hours. Rod next to me, I look down and the metal bit that spins the line around had detached itself at one side. Found a few pieces but it looks like there should be a screw there. My guess is it slowly un wound it self with the casting/reeling in throughout the day.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Return to Gear Guide