Battery for camping

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Battery for camping

Postby garden_worm » Sun May 21, 2006 10:46 pm

I am wondering what kind of battery I should buy .
I want to be able to recharge it before a camp trip and hope it will last a while , running laptop , lights radio tv etc
Is there a small 12 v ( petrol etc) generator I could use to recharge a batery ...12v and then possibly use a inverter to operate camp stuff.
a car batery is ok but is there something better?

garden_worm
meet lots of travelers to share the experiences and good times ......some pic's on the way

send me some messages soon ay
garden_worm
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun May 21, 2006 11:38 pm

Deep cylce batterys take longer to charge but will power devices for longer also. You can set a 'dual battery' system in your car, so once your starting battery is charged, the alternator starts charging the deep cycle one. Or you can just charge it before you go, but depending on what your running i cant imagine even the best batteries going for more than a couple of days. Also, you dont want to discharge your batteries more than 50% as it's bad for them and shortens their life.

Youcould invest in a small generator - noisy, and smelly, and bulky unless your spending big bucks. A solar charging setup, expensive, a possiblty a bit bulky, but a good investment in the longrun once set-up. Or as I said already, run 2 batteries in your car and meter the deep cylce used for camping accesories. Once its getting low go for a 1/2hr drive to see the sights 8)
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby garden_worm » Sun May 28, 2006 4:06 pm

Ozzy casmperboy

Thanks for your help .
I have inquired about the cycle battery errr......... nearlly $500

the backup car battery 12v seems to be good , the gissmo thingy used to connect the two batteries so as use one for camping only but to recharge same time as car battery is called a ....... ??? I need to buy one .

really only need it for laptop pc , tv and recharge AA batteries (for my camera )
meet lots of travelers to share the experiences and good times ......some pic's on the way

send me some messages soon ay
garden_worm
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun May 28, 2006 11:28 pm

:shock: Shop around. What where the specs of the $500 one? My friend has a decent one in his 4x4 and IIRC only paid around 300. You can get a basic one, probably enough for you for between $200-$250.

For an idea, on ebay a 100ah - $225 || 200ah $440

The gismo doohicky you asked about is called a "Dual Battery Isolator". You can get dual battery kits from Repco for less than $150 IIRC. This gives you the isolator, wiring, solonoid (?)... basically everything you need.

100ah should be fine for what you want. Just get a meter and take readings every few hours or so if/while your using to make sure you dont drain it past halfway (shortens battery life if you do).
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:07 am

oh really? :) :) :)
Site Admin

Return to Gear Guide