Hi from a Camping Newbie

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Postby JM1375 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:33 am

Hi Gypsy,

I did it the cheap-ish way (times are tight) with a trailer tent top from EBay, which is 15ft x 17ft incl. annexe and 13oz canvas from a mob called "Austcamp". It differs slightly from the Oztrail model that I had been looking at as the annexe area is much larger.

The trailer is being built to measure for me and the trailer top fitted by a lovely fellow in Brisbane. He builds camper trailers for a living and is fitting it up with gas struts, gas bottle holders, jerry can holders, with provision for a water pump and 2 x 83l above axle water tanks which I will have fitted down the track.

I've decided not to go with a swing tailgate kitchen for now either, and may not ever bother. I have some great camp kitchen equipment already, and at the most, may investigate Drifter Pullout and Return down the track.

Oh yeah! And the bonus feature is a bed that measures 175x230 - an absolute must when you are married to a 6'6" giant.....

I can't wait..... he he he :lol:

Cheers,
Jodie
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:45 am

JM1375 wrote:Hi Gypsy,

The trailer is being built to measure for me and the trailer top fitted by a lovely fellow in Brisbane. He builds camper trailers for a living and is fitting it up with gas struts, gas bottle holders, jerry can holders, with provision for a water pump and 2 x 83l above axle water tanks which I will have fitted down the track.

I've decided not to go with a swing tailgate kitchen for now either, and may not ever bother. I have some great camp kitchen equipment already, and at the most, may investigate Drifter Pullout and Return down the track.

Cheers,
Jodie

I bet you can't, it sounds great Jodie. Who is the guy building the trailer and top locally for you??

There is sooo much you can do as you go along, it can be a work in progress for the life of the camper if that is what you want.

2 x 83 litre water tanks, that is a great amount of water, 166 litres which will equate to 166kg in weight. Water has become such a precious commodity.

When we did our last outback trip we used to pull into a servo and fill up with diesel and then ask if it was possible to fill the water tank as well. The tank on that CT was 132 litres and you would have thought that we were asking for liquid gold sometimes.

Where are you going for Easter??

Cheers Gypsy...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby JM1375 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:50 am

Hi Gypsy,

A lovely guy named Graham Moll is doing the work for me - hopefully it will all be ready soon!

As you say - it will likely be a work in progress for a while to come - I keep getting new ideas.... oh well, it will be fine as is and I really can't wait to try it out.

We are heading to Ballina to a caravan park there. Unfortunately, we need to be in easy travelling distance of home as DH will have to work a little bit of the Easter break.

Are you going away for Easter also?

Cheers,
Jodie
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:22 am

No turning back now JM your in hook line and sinker.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby JM1375 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:30 am

Poodle Jewel wrote:No turning back now JM your in hook line and sinker.

Yep - surely am.... just spoke to Graham - trailer should be ready by the start of next week!!! Yay!!

:armsup
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:38 am

You wil love coming with the group,at Bribie everyone was in each others campers sticky beaking at who had what,some fantastic setups especially Andys and Anges it was as big as a house once all the rooms were zipped on.How many kids Jm the more kids the more rooms you have to zip on.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:53 am

JM1375 wrote:Hi Gypsy,

A lovely guy named Graham Moll is doing the work for me - hopefully it will all be ready soon!

As you say - it will likely be a work in progress for a while to come - I keep getting new ideas.... oh well, it will be fine as is and I really can't wait to try it out.

We are heading to Ballina to a caravan park there. Unfortunately, we need to be in easy travelling distance of home as DH will have to work a little bit of the Easter break.

Are you going away for Easter also?

Cheers,
Jodie

Hi Jodie

I thought it may have been someone I knew but I do not know the name you mention.

Bugger having to work over the easter break but I supose some one has to run the country!!

Yes I am going away, for 10 days to be exact. Have not been camping since xmas time and am very much in withdrawal I feel. Only 20 sleeps left for me.

I like to camp about 10 - 12 times a year but it does not look like I will get that much camping in this year which is unfortunate.

I look forward to hearing all about your camper mods and your inaugural trip.

Cheers Gypsy
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Introductions: