Just a look at who we are

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:04 am

jimodell wrote:I guess I still don't comprehend just how much open land you guys have over there. Must be great to be able to travel and camp where there aren't a load of other campers along side you. Here in Arizona when the snow birds come down we have some campgrounds with 1000 or more spaces filled to the brim.

WOW I'd be complaining if I had to endure 100 sites unless of course it was spread over seveal acres. If you do the tourist strip you certainly will get quite a few but west of the ranges on the eastern seaboard it is usually pretty good.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:09 pm

jimodell wrote:I guess I still don't comprehend just how much open land you guys have over there. Must be great to be able to travel and camp where there aren't a load of other campers along side you. Here in Arizona when the snow birds come down we have some campgrounds with 1000 or more spaces filled to the brim.

I live here and I STILL find it hard to comprehend. Its incredible.

Here's a pic to give you an idea of what I mean:

Google maps, showing the trip from Sydney, where I grew up, to where I now live.

Now that is a 6hr + trip, one way. Which mostly consists of 110kph highway driving. Only have to slow down for one town. Whenever I drive back and forth it seems like such a big distance, but really, by comparison its nothing.

Now, here's my little rant about city slickers coming, so tune out if you wish :lol:

Coming from Sydney, I know a lot of people who cry and whinge "why'd you move ALL that way out for? Its soooo far" But like I said, its NOTHING. And most people in these city's will do hardly any travel and if they do its most likely to be by plane (thank you cheap air fare wars). So, if your living in Australia, GET OUT THERE AND SEE IT (I know, I know, preaching to the converted on this site :lol: ), and if your not from Australia, but planning to come and visit, decide how long you'd like to spend here to see everything, THEN DOUBLE IT!! 8)

Here's yet another print screen form google to emphasise the point.

I plotted out (roughly) a trip I'm planning sometime next year. Google says it's 7,090 km – about 3 days 18 hours. Thats driving 24hrs a day tho. 7000 odd km's,(not including any of the inevitable detours) and its only really 1/5th of Australia. Assuming I get pretty decent fuel economy (and prices stay about what they are now!), it works out to nearly $2000 in fuel ::()

I don't really know why I'm typing all this :mrgreen: I guess the more I think about it the more mind boggling it is. That and I just got some DVD's of the cape so I'm really pumped for the trip, whish I was going this year :armsup (btw thanks to the person who sent them ;) ) hope I didn't bore you all.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Ponga » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:35 pm

I have always wanted to do that journey, driving from Cairns up to the Cape and then down the coast to Sydney. It was all planned even as far as booking the flights, however, due to circumstances it never happened. I'm sure we will get to do it one of these days.
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Postby JM1375 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:26 am

Wow Ozzy - that's some trip you've got planned.....

I would love to do a trip like that one day.....

One of the guys I work with has just taken off with his CT in tow for a 3 month tour around QLD and the top end.... I am sooooo jealous!

Cheers,
Jodie
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:30 am

JM1375 wrote:One of the guys I work with has just taken off with his CT in tow for a 3 month tour around QLD and the top end.... I am sooooo jealous!

Cheers,
Jodie

Me too...3 months off work travelling WOW.

I have an outback trip planned for 12 months time but it will only be about 5/6 weeks.

I suppose if I won lotto!!!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:01 pm

For those contemplating a Cape York trip you could have a look at My Swag.Com. There is a thread there for a free tag-a-long in 09
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:02 pm

We're heading to Cairns in December this year ... tossing up the idea of leaving the van in storage and tenting up to the tip ... but I think we won't have the time. Next year maybe?

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:25 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:For those contemplating a Cape York trip you could have a look at My Swag.Com. There is a thread there for a free tag-a-long in 09

Could not find it BB.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:16 pm

Sorry it should read MySwag.org :?
Glenn
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:34 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:Sorry it should read MySwag.org :?

Bl**dy retirees ... :$

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:Sorry it should read MySwag.org :?

Think the dementia may have already got ya!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:49 pm

Your all jealous :booty
Glenn
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:39 am

Blue Bravo wrote:Your all jealous :booty

Don't know about them, but I sure as hell am!!!!!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

outback trip

Postby jimodell » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:21 pm

Sounds like a ball, thanks for the Map. One day My wife and I will visit, don't know if we will be able to see too much because of the size but, before we come I'll get some info on the places the "yanks" don't go. Those are the places we would like to visit.
EVERY DAY ON THIS SIDE OF THE GRASS IS A GOOD DAY!!!
jimodell

Re: outback trip

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:13 am

jimodell wrote:
before we come I'll get some info on the places the "yanks" don't go. Those are the places we would like to visit.

And those are the places that will be more memorable...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions: