Springs! Tops or tails?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Springs! Tops or tails?

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:36 pm

We are going to the gold coast at easter with a stack of new campers and I'm lending a couple of tents to family. The trouble is I didn't have enough ropes and springs for all the gear I have, So I decided to make some more. I didn't feel like going out and buying stacks of stuff I most likely will not use again all at the same time so I thought I might save where I could. Eventually I came up with this idea http://www.flickr.com/photos/22642408@N05/?saved=1 . Basically I got double the ropes made for the amount of springs I had just by putting the springs up top. Fortunately I decided years ago to get nice heavyish springs. Of course the downside is, any failure spring or above means two ropes letting go. I had the tents up for a week or so and there was no problem at all. Just wondering if anyone else does this, or anyone seen major problems with that setup?
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Springs! Tops or tails?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:43 pm

will_deness wrote: Just wondering if anyone else does this, or anyone seen major problems with that setup?

Can't say I have ever seen ropes done like that before Will. My only concern might be with only the one spring, was whether or not you could get sufficient tension on both ropes.

I imagine only time will tell with that one.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby AussieSunset » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:57 pm

After being on the road for a year with our tarp over the top of everything we had lots of double ropes and springs, but i do wish i had thought of putting the spring up the top. Would have saved a lot of weight. I like the idea and the tension should work fine.
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Troyk » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:20 pm

Will,

Looks fine, with good springs it should handle it.

Complies with the laws of physics :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:05 pm

Back in the olden days when I was a boy people used to use pieces of inner tube to act as a spring.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:09 am

Blue Bravo wrote:Back in the olden days when I was a boy people used to use pieces of inner tube to act as a spring.

Isn't it funny BB with all the new gizmos and technology we have now your inner tuber sound more like the 'dark ages':-))
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Frilly » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:09 pm

Hey Will_deness!!

How did the springs hold up?? Looks like a freakin great idea to me... any further hints with this setup??

Tammy.
The story of my life is about back entrances, side doors, secret elevators and other ways of getting in and out of places so that people won't bother me.
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Postby will_deness » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:13 pm

Worked a treat! should have patented the idea judging by the amount of people in the caravan park who asked about it. I could have been the Bill Gates of tent ropes. :roll:
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Frilly » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:06 pm

yuk yuk yuk
The story of my life is about back entrances, side doors, secret elevators and other ways of getting in and out of places so that people won't bother me.
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:22 pm

will_deness wrote: I could have been the Bill Gates of tent ropes. :roll:

Just think of the money you could amass..
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide