Mainstay Emergency Rations

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Postby ipc59 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:31 pm

Gday all.

We put together emergency packages for people, basically enough stuff to get you through the first 24 hours of an emergency. We learnt the hard way (Canberra, 2003)...we were always going to get around to it but we didn't. We made ourselves a pack with water, food, lighting, a dynamo radio and torch, first aid kit etc... Wouldn't be without it, and if you have been just thinking about it, heres a chance to do something!!!!

While we were doing our research we found another product, an Emergency ration in the US. We imported some and it is brilliant...it tastes OK, has a 5 year shelf life, is really compact and light..ideal for our camper if we get into strife. We thought other people might be interested. Its called Mainstay, it wasn't available in Australia so we got some. Anyway, anyone who might be interested, we can get it here for about $16.95 per 2400 calorie unit, we'd need to make a couple of dollars on top to meet our costs, plus postage. We have a new website evacpac.com.au, so if you like, contact us.

regards to all

Peter
ipc59

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:28 pm

What does it taste like? :lol:

Sorry, first thing that came to mind :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby ipc59 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:55 pm

CHICKEN!!!! No, not really, that just seemed to be the standard response!

It has a lemon flavour, its like a shortbread as much as anything else.....slightly gritty to start with but that dissolves quickly. In all its quite pleasant although I wouldnt recommend it as a snack food, two matchboxes full = 400 calories!!!

regards Peter
ipc59

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:19 pm

Have you got an official price yet? And be honest, is it the sort of stuff you'd only eat in an emergency ? :lol: Or is it ok as a light/easy way of taking care of meals for hiking. Cause it would sure save alot of weight and room in the backpack if I didn't need a stove, pot, plate, normal food etc.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby ipc59 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:32 pm

Gday mate

Thats an interesting question. It will retail for $19.95 (we arent really in this for the Mainstay, our main products are the Evacpacs), as I said, we found this by accident.

It does taste OK, you probably wouldn't eat it all the time but if you were away for a couple of days it will certainly keep you going. I would supplement it with say some dried fruit or nuts,. It would certainly do away with the need to cook, it is very light and compact. probably the best thing to do would be to get one and try it, we can do it at cost price plus postage if you like.

regards peter
ipc59

Return to Gear Guide