WA - Coral Bay; Friendliness in Western Australia

WA - Coral Bay; Friendliness in Western Australia

Postby Terry » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:58 pm

We have just returned to Perth after three months travelling with our caravan. We had two weeks swimming and snorkelling in Coral Bay in June, then decided to travel further north.

The night before we left Coral Bay we had torrential rain all night accompanied by lightning and thunder. The Sunday morning everyone emerged from their tents or vans with shell-shocked expressions. Some unfortunates in small tents in lower areas were in twenty-five centremeters of water.

We packed and left early travelling towards Exmouth then over to the road that leads to the main northwest highway. A little water crossing the road was no problem, but the next small creek was two metres deep and flowing swiftly.

We joined a queue of twenty vehicles all looking to the swiftly flowing muddy water. Over the other side ten caravans waiting. This water subsided after about two hours. The vehicles moved off with a wave to each as they passed. As we were in a medium sized two wheel drive we had to wait until the water was just below our wheels.We proceeded to the next crossing about thirty kilometres further on but this time the water was still the two meters but flowing terribly fast.

We ventured down to the edge of this maelstrom joining others not going any where. Some turned around to try to go back and about an extra three hundred kilometres around a large triangle. In an hour they had returned, the creek we had crossed earlier had risen again. Sooo -- we were now completely stopped front and back. The camaraderie of most was amazing as some in caravans boiled water for some young girls just in a Holden sedan. Out came the card tables, some playing cards others lunch, others just yarning as they moved among the stranded occupants.

By 5.30 the water had gone down so we were towed across by our friends from Coral Bay. The flow was still quite strong so we were hooked onto his Nissan patrol for the tow across.My thoughts about this time was the fact that the extra friendliness happened because we were all stuck, all of us certainly not going anywhere. The next two months we travelled meeting a lot of travellers from all over the world. An experience we toughly enjoyed and would recommend to anyone.
Terry

Postby Kramer » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:20 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun, some people hate being stuck somewhere but if your on holiday might as well make the most of it, and it also makes for a good story on your return. :)
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:50 pm

Yeah ditto to Kraemer,

It's a bit like people who buy a 4wd and dont go 4wd'ing 'casue they might get bogged ... :? ... it's all part of the experience.

I would question being towed behind the Patrol tho'. If your car started to drift I reckon the patrol would have gone too. Water is an exceptionally strong force!

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:44 pm

Great story, water crossings are fun too :twisted: :mrgreen:

Have you posted this elswhere before, seems awlfully familiar :?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Cruiser02 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:00 pm

At a 4WD course we were taught that if a waterway is flowing too fast for you to stand in then it is flowing too fast for a vehicle to cross safely.
Cruiser02

Postby Kramer » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:57 am

Cruiser02 wrote:At a 4WD course we were taught that if a waterway is flowing too fast for you to stand in then it is flowing too fast for a vehicle to cross safely.

Yes very true, but if you had a landcruiser like my old one it had that many holes in it that the water would just flow through! :lol:
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Re: WA - Coral Bay; Friendliness in Western Australia

Postby Aaron S » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:13 pm

It's great when everyone helps each other out. I've read as a general rule if you throw a piece of bark into the water and walk next to it you can roughly work out whether its safe or not. If the bark flows faster than you are walking then it isn't safe.

Of course, this depends on the depth of water and doesn't take into consideration the under currents!

Aaron
Traveling Western Australia? Take a look at my blog at http://www.aaronschubert.com
Aaron S

Return to Western Australia