Adelaide Camping Group

Community groups, clubs etc. tell us about yourselves, who can join, activities, post notices and events.

Moderator: amanda

Postby homekegger1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:10 pm

jollyroger wrote:Please throw some other suggestions around. I'm not opposed to shorter distances.

I am open to anywhere...The missus does specify one thing though...POWER 240v nothing less...

Would someone in the group owning a generator count as 240v or does it have to be 24/7? If not Butlers beach on the Yorke is supposed to be nice. Cheap and 7km's of beach to camp on. There is a shop and even some showers and toilets.

Cheers

HK
homekegger1
Camping King

Re: Adelaide Camping Group

Postby Coppergoat » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:32 pm

Hi All
We are planning to tackle Googs track at the begining of the SA school holidays in april this year (2008). Planning on taking the Ford Courier,camper trailer, 2 kids and the handbrake. Traveling from home (Willaston) to Ceduna stay over night then on to Googs Lake with a 2 night stop over then onto Mount Finke with a 2 night stop over then make our way home via Glendambo. If anyone is interested in tackling the track at the same time drop us a line. The Adelaide camping group sounds like a good idea :grin: .

Regards
Coppergoat
Coppergoat
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:45 am

Coppergoat wrote:Hi All
We are planning to tackle Googs track at the begining of the SA school holidays in april this year (2008). Planning on taking the Ford Courier,camper trailer, 2 kids and the handbrake. Traveling from home (Willaston) to Ceduna stay over night then on to Googs Lake with a 2 night stop over then onto Mount Finke with a 2 night stop over then make our way home via Glendambo. If anyone is interested in tackling the track at the same time drop us a line. The Adelaide camping group sounds like a good idea :grin: .

Regards
Coppergoat

Hi Coppergoat

I'd be interested in hearing your comments when you return. I know it is sometime off yet but am planing a trip down that way in about 12 months time and am looking at coming down Googs Track from the north. Then doing Ceduna to Streaky Bay but have not yet planned my route back home, it is still on the drawing board.

Cheers GL
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Coppergoat » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi All
Googs track trip report
Well Googs Track was a great time away, it would be one that I would recommend to anyone weather you are a seasoned 4wd'er or your first real 4wd trip with nothing to difficult even for an inexperienced 4x4 driver like myself and a standard 4x4 like the Ford Courier.
We did the track from south to north with a 2-night stop over at both Googs Lake and Mt Finke.

Vehicle specs: 2.5 Td Ford Courier crew cab 4x4 (standard),
Tyres: 205x16 Dunlop roadgriper.
Fuel: 70lt onboard plus 6x20lt jerry cans
CT: Aluminium camper
Tyres: 185x14 Lt
Water: 140lt
Food: enough for 7 days plus

Track conditions
First leg from Ceduna to Googs lake was easy with a few corrugations between the dunes and with the dunes increasing in size the closer we got to Googs lake. Tyre pressure down to 18 psi on both the 4x4 and CT.
Second leg from Googs lake to Mt Finke (79km) Left the lake at 0910, again the track was fairly easy with almost all the dunes being around 20 to 25 meters in high plus corrugations between the dunes. Tyre pressure is now at 12 psi for both the 4x4 and CT also high range is engaged. 250 dunes between Googs Lake and Mt Finke with 92 of them traversed in first gear, (foot note: no lost of traction at any stage of the trip) Mt Finke was first visible at dune #135. Arrived at Mt Finke 3pm (1500hr) 6hrs travel time with lunch. Made camp north of the main campsite at Mt Finke.
Third leg from Mt Finke to the rail line is more of the same with just a few dunes that have become well rutted from tyre pressures being way to high, but all in all the time spent on the track was most enjoyable and will long remain in our memory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coppergoat
Boy Scout

Previous

Return to Groups & Activities