Ice Boxes

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Ice Boxes

Postby CCC » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:30 am

I know there were posts on this before but I can't find them.

I would like some info on affordable ice boxes such as the Techni Ice etc.
http://www.techniice.com/english/iceboxes.asp

All your advice on pros and cons welcome

* what sizes are suitable for a family of 5 for a weekend and also for a week.

* how do you pack the ice inside

* how do you pack the food / drinks

( I do have a rough idea but would love to hear what you do )
thanx
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Ice Boxes

Postby will_deness » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:35 am

Sorry cant help. soggy food made me get a frig!
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:36 am

Big W have a special on right now $80 for a 60 ltr ice box.

In answer to your question, techni ice are just as good as anything ... Tropical seem to charge outrageously for theirs so I wouldn't get one on principle. We have a 88ltr Kookaburra Ice Box ... has lasted 3 yrs so far and I expect it to last another 30.

If you think it will keep things cool for the EH trip you could be i trouble if you get warm temps. In Perth we had to add a bag of ice every second day when temps hit 30 degrees or more ... around 20 degrees and you should get away with not having to replace ice.

So far as packing ... we use ice cream containers, plastic milk bottles etc frozen with water (also gives you mroe water :armsup ) placed on the bottom of the box then pack food then bags of party ice but keep it in the bag. For three ppl we found the 88ltr ice box great ... you may need a bigger ice box for 5 ppl and don't forget the ice can take up at least 20 ltrs.

HTH

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby CCC » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:46 am

Scolers wrote:Big W have a special on right now $80 for a 60 ltr ice box.

I checked this one out and after getting a worker to open it for me, I wasnt happy with the hinges on them :? Good price though
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:58 am

Central Coast Campers wrote:I know there were posts on this before but I can't find them.

I would like some info on affordable ice boxes such as the Techni Ice etc.
http://www.techniice.com/english/iceboxes.asp

All your advice on pros and cons welcome

* how do you pack the food / drinks

( I do have a rough idea but would love to hear what you do )
thanx

I have a Tropical for drinks only and bought a 'seconds' 52 litre for about $130. I also have Techni ice (sheets) and do not use it, hate it in fact. As they thaws they get slimey.

I do make 'hard' ince and I make 15kg blocks which usually last about 5 days but I only get one of those in my 52 litre.

I also feeze 3 litre plastic juice bottles of water and these last pretty well also and at the end of the time also give you water to drink.

Techni Ice did have their ice boxes on special a while back and they were really good value and yes I would buy an ice box but not the sheets.

I would (& have done in the past, pre fridges) put all foodstuffs into sealed plastic containers or vaccum sealed the meats etc. Don't try vacuum sealing bread rolls etc unless you freeze them first.

I have also used a plastic basket (available at any cheapie store) inside and put foodstuffs in that so as to keep them up out of the water.

Re what size you shoud buy, geez that is a hard one for me but I imagine some of the others may be able to advise you there.

I imagine it would depend on whether you only have the one ice box or do you have another for drinks too. I would & have always run a drinks esky separate to the food one. You can always put up with warm drinks (!!!) but it is imperative that the foodstuffs stay as cold as possible.

Hope this helps a bit...

Cheers
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:18 pm

The post you seen on the Techni ice,there is a company selling them on ebay cheap so go to ebay and search Techni Ice or even Eskys.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:26 pm

Central Coast Campers wrote:All your advice on pros and cons welcome

The largest one you can afford to buy and can afford the space in your car for. You will ALWAYS find something to fill it with if its too big but if you buy too small you'll have a hard time thinking of stuff you can do without.

Central Coast Campers wrote:

One bag on the bottom, one on top. I'm sure there will be many differing opinions on this, but it's worked for me.

The stuff you want colder put on the bottom, like meat for example. Hot air rises. But if you want the meat to defrost remember to pull it out or bring it to the top. I've had many a hungry wait when I've forgotten to do this :evil:

Central Coast Campers wrote:* how do you pack the food / drinks

I just throw it in :lol: But generally drinks on top cause they are the things that are used most, and you want the box open as little as possible. So try to make it easy to just grab them and shut the lid.

As for brands, I have a Tropical 52L. Got it from Repco for $190 about 2 years ago. The deciding factor for me was their advertisement where they parked a troopy on their ice box's, one under each wheel 8) , as I tend to be a bit rough with my gear. Back then they where probably the cheapest or close to the cheapest brand around. Either that or I didn't shop around much, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. Mine has still had some ice in it after 5 days camping at Mungo brush over Christmas (probably close to 40deg some days), I put 3 bags in before I left Sydney and never re-filled it.

But with any brand, the important thing to remember is keep it closed as much as possible, and keep it in the shade. Also drain the water out while there is still ice in there as ice melts quicker in water. By the 3rd or 4th day though I leave the water cause there's more water than ice, so the cold water keeps stuff cool instead.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby will_deness » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Central Coast Campers wrote:* what sizes are suitable for a family of 5 for a weekend and also for a week.

As with a frig, a full esky is easier to keep cold. So the right size for you would be a compromise. It all depends on where your going! with ice available daily a 60ish would probably be ok but if your going extended time away from shops a 80+ would be better. optimum set up would possibly be 2 x 50 litres one for ice and reload the food esky as you need it. or simply just take 1 if your only going for a weekend. I understand two quality eskies would be dear, but over a 30 yr period it would be cheap in the long run
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:36 pm

As Ozzy said, keep it in the shade but also keep it cool. By this I mean keep a large wet towel/hessian bag or canvas over it at all times.

My experience has been that the ice lasts longer sitting in the cold water than by removing the cold water but then I also use 'hard' ice.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:51 pm

gypsylady wrote:As Ozzy said, keep it in the shade but also keep it cool. By this I mean keep a large wet towel/hessian bag or canvas over it at all times.

My experience has been that the ice lasts longer sitting in the cold water than by removing the cold water but then I also use 'hard' ice.

I thought the secret to eskies was to try to keep them below 32F for as long as possible?
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:55 pm

will_deness wrote:I thought the secret to eskies was to try to keep them below 32F for as long as possible?

Hence the wet canvas/towel whatever over it and in the shade.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:03 pm

Sorry GL my previous post was worded badly, I'll start again. Isn't the secret of eskies to keep the ice less than 32"F or 0"C for as long as possible?
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:20 pm

will_deness wrote:Sorry GL my previous post was worded badly, I'll start again. Isn't the secret of eskies to keep the ice less than 32"F or 0"C for as long as possible?

You lost me Will, I don't know the technical side of the whys and wherefores I just know in my epxerience the hard ice has always lasted longer if I leave the cold water in, rather than draining it off.

Icebergs are a classic example of this, the part exposed is always less than that below the cold water and I just presume the same principle applies to inside esky.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Sorry GL icebergs float because ice is lighter than water( not much lighter, but lighter all the same). and a ice cubes float to the same ratio as a iceberg. But anyway thats a technicality :***
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:40 pm

will_deness wrote:Sorry GL icebergs float because ice is lighter than water( not much lighter, but lighter all the same). and a ice cubes float to the same ratio as a iceberg. But anyway thats a technicality :***

It wasn't the fact that they float Will it was that there is always more ice below the in the cold water than above where it is exposed.

And no need to apologise simply because we disagree on something Will.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Gear Guide