Ice Boxes

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Ice Boxes

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:20 pm

Sorry. But Ice in water WILL melt quicker.

I CBB explaining it but wiki can:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_ice_ ... han_in_air

This paragraph is also interesting if your just dying for a cold one and realise you forgot to put the stubbies in the Ice box

By the way, ice water will also chill things faster than very cold air. If you submerge a test tube of room-temperature water in an ice bath, it will coll down much more rapidly than if you had placed the test tube in the freezer, even though the freezer is colder than the ice bath. Again, this has to do with the higher heat capacity of water than air.
:cheers
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:53 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:Sorry. But Ice in water WILL melt quicker.

I CBB explaining it but wiki can:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_ice_ ... han_in_air

This paragraph is also interesting if your just dying for a cold one and realise you forgot to put the stubbies in the Ice box

By the way, ice water will also chill things faster than very cold air. If you submerge a test tube of room-temperature water in an ice bath, it will coll down much more rapidly than if you had placed the test tube in the freezer, even though the freezer is colder than the ice bath. Again, this has to do with the higher heat capacity of water than air.
:cheers

Well Ozzy how do you explain this para from the same site as you quoted??

But if you submerged the ice in ice-water -- water at or near zero degrees Celsius (or 32 degrees F) -- then the ice may melt faster in the air We are taking about iced water in an esky.

Seems like the info contained therein is ambiguous....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:01 pm

Ice melts when heat is transferred away from it to its surroundings. Water is denser than air, so heat is conducted away from the ice faster in water than in air, all other things being equal.

But if you submerged the ice in ice-water -- water at or near zero degrees Celsius (or 32 degrees F) -- then the ice may melt faster in the air, especially if the air is warm and moving. How fast something melts has to do with both the nature of the surrounding medium (gas vs. liquid for instance), but also its temperature.

Obviously the temp has something to do with it. If you put ice in water at 0deg and another lot of ice at 30 deg you can guess whats going to melt quicker. But in an Esky the air is cold.

Seriously. Go grab a glass of water, a plate, two ice cubes and a stopwatch. See what happens.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
Seriously. Go grab a glass of water, a plate, two ice cubes and a stopwatch. See what happens.

Sounds like it would be a good school project.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby freerocketman1 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:48 pm

i have 2 80ltr eskys, 1 for food & 1 for drinks,milk,butter etc. what i find best is get your 2ltr ice cream buckets & freeze them [3 per esky] & have all your meat frozen as well. once all packed place a tea towel on top then close it up. should last 4 to 5 days. as for the drinks well you still need to buy ice every 2nd day.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby will_deness » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:59 pm

Simply put ice is colder than 0"c. water is warmer than 0"c . so ice in water is in something warmer than itself, therefore it must melt faster The water maybe colder than the air around it, but it doesn't get away from the fact the ice will melt faster.
As far as icebergs are concerned the ice is generally fresh water and the ocean is salt, which has a lower freezing point. So the salt water often is colder than the ice.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby freerocketman1 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:20 pm

will_deness wrote:Simply put ice is colder than 0"c. water is warmer than 0"c . so ice in water is in something warmer than itself, therefore it must melt faster The water maybe colder than the air around it, but it doesn't get away from the fact the ice will melt faster.
As far as icebergs are concerned the ice is generally fresh water and the ocean is salt, which has a lower freezing point. So the salt water often is colder than the ice.

does this mean that i should put salt in the water before i freez it? ::()
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Pauly » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:39 pm

CCC I have a 100ltre techni ice, a 65 ltre evakool and 2 20 ltre Icekools. I wouldnt give you 2 bob for the icekools.
We fill the 100ltre full of ice then we put a layer of ice in the 65ltre then all the food and drinks then fill it with ice. 1 20ltre is used for my wife and I's drinks the other 20ltre is used for the kids my thinking being we only open the evakool very minimal we open the techni ice only when more ice is needed to top up the others. In our few trips the evakool and the techniice hold ice about the same time with the evakool slightly better.

If you can buy solid ice not the junk from servos that have the hole in them you will keep ice better. I have a mate with a very large freezer, we are going to 1/4 fill and half fill the 65 and 100 with water then freeze them for a week before we go away, see if that keeps them cool longer
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby will_deness » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:43 am

freerocketman1 wrote:
will_deness wrote:Simply put ice is colder than 0"c. water is warmer than 0"c . so ice in water is in something warmer than itself, therefore it must melt faster The water maybe colder than the air around it, but it doesn't get away from the fact the ice will melt faster.

does this mean that i should put salt in the water before i freez it? ::()

If you put a bottle of salt water(sea water for example) and a bottle of fresh water in the deep freeze. they both would freeze with the saltwater bottle freezing later than the fresh. When you took them out they would both be (e.g -10"C). as they both start to heat up the salt water would just turn to liquid sooner. So there really is no advantage. Fishies make a slurry with ice and sea water to quicky get a fish down to chilling temperture fast.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Frilly » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:12 pm

I'm no expert with keeping my food cool but I do find cooling the esky for a day before is beneficial. I use some old ice bricks to do this and then just before I am ready to go I put in a 3.3L tupperware of ice surrounded on each corner with 1.25 litre soda water (or whatever you like to drink!) which I have previously frozen. I then pack all the food (yes meat to the bottom) and then ice on top. I agree keeping it out of the sun and not to open it unnecessarily. Hope this helps... oh I have a Techni Ice 60 litre I bought from the website (not Ebay as I found the prices ended up being the same most times). That size is cool for myself and one other adult (with beer and chocy!!)
The story of my life is about back entrances, side doors, secret elevators and other ways of getting in and out of places so that people won't bother me.
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Previous

Return to Gear Guide