Fuel Prices

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Fuel Prices

Postby jollyroger » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:55 pm

Has the price of fuel stopped people from traveling?

Has it hindered any of your plans or trips?

I had a trip on the long weekend and the price of fuel nearly stopped us going. Thanks to our friendly thieving petrol companies they lifted the price of petrol just in time for the festive weekend.

Here where I am it was $1.47.9 for the L/W. It's still around the $1.34 with no sign of abating.

We are planning a huge trip with the Camper Trailer at xmas and will now have re think it, if the price of fuel is going to be as high!

:x
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Yep. $2/L + by Chrissy. So switch to some other fuel or transport or get used to it.

And now for the Financial report with Ozzycamperboy :mrgreen:

Higher fuel prices will eventually contribute, if not lead to another depression, stockmarket crash, super uper duper high inflation, and unemployment :mrgreen: Think about it, fuel has effectivly doubled in 3 years. EVERYTHING we use in day to day life has at one point in its life required fuel to get to you. Food, whitegoods, electricity, tades, furniture, clothes, whatever. The price of these (well, some atleast) will eventually skyrocket to offset the higher fuel costs, so cost of living goes up, then people need more wages to deal with higher cost of living so the get pay rise, then the employers have higher employment costs coupled with higher fuel costs, so they AGAIN increase the prices on the goods and/or services they supply, and the cycle continues. The system's falling apart at the foundation people.... where's that conspiracy dood that was here not long ago, he'll understand :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Kramer » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:51 am

Yep Ozzy too true, I was going to go to Cape York this year but no-one else had holidays so it was planned for next year and with these fuel costs we might have 7 people going in one car just to afford it!
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:22 am

Back on topic, I too have been wanting to do the cape since I got my 4b, and I haven't even bothered even 'planning' it yet since I've guestimated it to be about 3200k's from sydney, which equates to atleast 8 tanks of fuel, each way, plus 'play' fuel. So say 20 all up. At the average price of ~1.50 c/l, this would be about $1350 JUST on fuel. Then, i'd have to add in the cost of a service (done over 5k in one trip), spares, time off work (would want atleast 2-3 weeks), camping fees + food etc.... basically looking at about $3k + :shock: .... for that I could prolly fly there, spend 3 days in a luxury resort, hire a 4b for a day, and then fly home :cry:

For me, it'd probly wind up cheaper to train it as far north as I can, buy a cheap trail pig with a month or so rego and muddies, thrash the hell outta it for a week getting in as much 4x4 site seeing as possible, then drive it south till it dies, sell it/dump it/sacrifice it :twisted: etc, and then train the rest of the way home :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Kramer » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:52 am

Nope you will spend more than that on fuel if you want to do the old telegraph track (IMO the only way to go) we spent leaving from Bundaberg in 2004 and for a 4 week treck about $2000 on fuel. There are some big days of driving to go 80 kilometers or less! I will be going there next year even if I have to sell a kidney or a lung just for fuel as it was the most awesome trip!

Back on topic: I don't go wheeling as often now as the cost of fuel is astronomical, I usually put in $30-40 a weekend for myself but now that only gets me about 4hrs wheeling :cry:
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:16 pm

What we've done is to trade in our RAV and purchase an odler fourbie (94 Paj) which we use for touring/ 4wding. The money left over went into buying a new Getz. we now save nearly $50 per fornight and that goes straight into the Paj which ahs a 140ltr tank. It's usually full by the tie we want to go away so we have 1000km's plus to use up before we need to refill.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to General Chit-Chat