Furphy Camp Ovens

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Furphy Camp Ovens

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:14 am

In all the camping stores you visit around Brisbane has anyone seen one that sells Furphy Camp Ovens

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Re: Furphy Camp Ovens

Postby freerocketman1 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:43 pm

not yet derek, but i would like to know what the fuss is about.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:32 am

freerocketman1 wrote:not yet derek, but i would like to know what the fuss is about.

Have a friend in the States that wants me to send him one.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:29 pm

Derek wrote:In all the camping stores you visit around Brisbane has anyone seen one that sells Furphy Camp Ovens

Derek

Hi Derek

I do most of the camping stores over fairly regularly and I have never seen on in the shops.

I do think they had some at the Millmerran Camp Oven festival a couple of years back, special issue.

The only place I have ever known them to be available was from the website and I am not sure that is still the case.

Also heard a while back that the Furphy foundry was no longer making them, they were being outsourced.

Not sure if this helps your friend any, sorry.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:52 pm

Thanks for that.

Very much aware that Furphy have been made in China for around 8 years now. They don't advertise it but they don't deny it either if you ask. Have been involved with a lot of dialogue with them over it.

In NSW most camping stores hold Furphy. In fact barbecues Galore at Wagga kept the whole range of them. Just thought someone may have seem some in Brissy to save me some hassle.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:53 am

Derek wrote:Thanks for that.

Very much aware that Furphy have been made in China for around 8 years now. They don't advertise it but they don't deny it either if you ask. Have been involved with a lot of dialogue with them over it.

In NSW most camping stores hold Furphy. In fact barbecues Galore at Wagga kept the whole range of them. Just thought someone may have seem some in Brissy to save me some hassle.

I would not mind getting my hands on an 'old' one but not for any reason other than to say I have one. I don't really believe that for the amount of COCing that I do that it is a necessity, more of a whim I think.

There was a time when you stood a better than equal chance of picking one up at a flea market or the like. Not so any more.

Cheers GL
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:15 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Derek wrote:Thanks for that.

I would not mind getting my hands on an 'old' one but not for any reason other than to say I have one. I don't really believe that for the amount of COCing that I do that it is a necessity, more of a whim I think.

There was a time when you stood a better than equal chance of picking one up at a flea market or the like. Not so any more.

Cheers GL

I recently increased my house contents insurance due to my camp oven collection. ::()
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:17 pm

Derek wrote:
I recently increased my house contents insurance due to my camp oven collection. ::()

Did you tell the insurance company why or did you just increase it??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:25 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Derek wrote:

Did you tell the insurance company why or did you just increase it??

I have some quite expensive ovens that are 'listed' on the policy
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:33 pm

Derek wrote:
I have some quite expensive ovens that are 'listed' on the policy

And did you get any 'reaction' because it deviates from what is considered the 'norm.???
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:36 pm

They are classed as antiques
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby freerocketman1 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:08 pm

derek what i was ment to say is what is the differance between a furphy & one of the camp store cheapys?
do they cook more evenly,have a better taste, as i only have a cheap one & a bedorie so iam very much in the dark when it comes to camp ovens.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:17 pm

freerocketman1 wrote:derek what i was ment to say is what is the differance between a furphy & one of the camp store cheapys?
do they cook more evenly,have a better taste, as i only have a cheap one & a bedorie so iam very much in the dark when it comes to camp ovens.

It's like anything that people deem as collectables I suppose. Furphy were considered by many to be the finest camp ovens of their time. When they stopped making them in Australia collectors started to gather them and this pushed the prices up something terrible.

As to whether they cook any better ................. well I think the cook has a lot to do with that.

I most likely use my old Bedourie more than any of the ones I have and yes my first cast iron oven was an old cheapie ($27.00) if I remembers correctly and it has cooked a huge amount of good camp oven tucker.

I am still looking for a good 20" Furphy if anyone has one :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby freerocketman1 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:25 pm

thanks derek :grin:

ill keep an eye out at the flee markets for you. :)
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:36 pm

The furphy company has a real heritage with australia, the collectors would have seen furphy sending production overseas and known that heritage would soon become a historic heritage. sorta like artists works becoming more valuable after they die.
edit; I am assuming of course that collectors and camp oven experts can tell the difference between a Australian and a Chinese.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Gear Guide