Do we need one of these?

Forum Rules, post questions, comments or suggestions, about this forum or website.

Do we need one of these?

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:56 am

A code of conduct like I copied off another site. Sadly things can go pear shaped sometimes. But if we had some sort of yard stick to measure how we post our posts it can only be a good thing. I'm not suggesting we plagiarise this one it is just a example.

A. Respect for each other and our statements (even if we disagree).

B. Discuss and debate topics without personal attacks.

C. Express differences of opinion using factual statements and reasoned arguments.

D. "Agree to disagree" when an impasse is found.

E. Be supportive and non-judgmental.

F. Focus on how our statements might affect one another.

G. Be able to see things from the other person's point of view.

H. No hidden agendas.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Do we need one of these?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:27 am

will_deness wrote:A code of conduct like I copied off another site. Sadly things can go pear shaped sometimes. But if we had some sort of yard stick to measure how we post our posts it can only be a good thing. I'm not suggesting we plagiarise this one it is just a example.

C. Express differences of opinion using factual statements and reasoned arguments.

H. No hidden agendas.

I like that one Will, I especially like 'D'.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:19 pm

will_deness wrote:A code of conduct like I copied off another site. Sadly things can go pear shaped sometimes. But if we had some sort of yard stick to measure how we post our posts it can only be a good thing. I'm not suggesting we plagiarise this one it is just a example.

H. No hidden agendas.

All of those are just everyday good manners. Doesn't matter what you have as a guidelines on a forum if people are not brought up to have good manners then they won't care.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:22 pm

By the way. These are the rules to this forum that everyone agreed to on registration:

By accessing “Australia’s Camping Site” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “Australia’s Camping Site”, “http://forum.camping.com.au”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “Australia’s Camping Site”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “Australia’s Camping Site” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

Our forums are powered by phpBB (hereinafter “they”, “them”, “their”, “phpBB software”, “www.phpbb.com”, “phpBB Group”, “phpBB Teams”) which is a bulletin board solution released under the “General Public License” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from http://www.phpbb.com. The phpBB software only facilitates internet based discussions, the phpBB Group are not responsible for what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. For further information about phpBB, please see: http://www.phpbb.com/.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Australia’s Camping Site” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “Australia’s Camping Site” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Australia’s Camping Site” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:26 pm

Derek wrote:
All of those are just everyday good manners. Doesn't matter what you have as a guidelines on a forum if people are not brought up to have good manners then they won't care.

Simple common courtesy and good manners are almost a thing of the past unfortunately, just travel on any public transport system and you will see this everytime.

I have decided over time to treat people as they treat me and for the times and places in between I am happy to employ the manners I was brought up with.

Not always doable though.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:29 pm

Derek wrote:
By accessing “Australia’s Camping Site” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “Australia’s Camping Site”, “http://forum.camping.com.au”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms.

This is great for the those who wish to do the 'right' thing in the first place but I would like to see how well this doc stood up in any court of law in this country.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Derek wrote:

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country,

One could still follow those conditions and still be anti-social.
I think a code of conduct is more for acceptable social conduct.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Here is the one off my website. It is a little more descriptive. However in monitoring the site it is still up to my interpretation of what is right and what is wrong in deciding whether to censor or ban someone from the site.

I have never had to ban anyone although I did ask someone to change their type of posting or leave and they chose to leave.

Welcome to Camp Oven Cooking In Australia Chat

Camp Oven Cooking In Australia Chat is a family oriented site and all submissions MUST be for general exhibition.

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually-oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also inappropriate to Camp Oven Cooking In Australia Chat.

The Administrator of Camp Oven Cooking in Australia Chat reserve the right to remove any post or thread deemed not suitable for the site and to ban members who do not comply with these rules.

Note that it is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts on this forum. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages and are not responsible for their content. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of this forum. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator of this forum immediately. We have the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum, and any related websites to this forum. We at Camp Oven Cooking In Australia Chat also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any information we have about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any information posted by you. You have the ability, as you register, to choose your user name. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password to another member, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another member's account to post messages or browse this forum. After you register and log into Camp Oven Cooking In Australia Chat, you can fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information we deem inaccurate or vulgar will be removed.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

PLEASE NOTE - YOU NEED TO USE A LEGITIMATE EMAIL ADDRESS. ACTIVATION OF YOUR ACCOUNT WILL NOT BE AUTOMATIC AND AN EMAIL WILL BE SENT TO YOU GIVING DETAILS

Please enjoy the forum and learn from us as we will learn from you.

Derek Bullock
Owner/Administrator
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:27 pm

That does cover a lot Derek and it would be necessary, but what I'm thinking of is a nice short version of posting guidelines stickied to the top of each board,that a moderator can point to when he/she takes action,and maybe a confirm button on posting which could go something like" warning would you send this message to your mother, boss or priest"
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:40 pm

If you look at the menu bar on my site you will see I have a link to the Forum Rules. Could be done here I believe.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:55 pm

I'd like to think we don't need one, at least not yet. If anyone does start to post out of line a PM should suffice.

Also. A few things with the new board that some may not have noticed is the ability to "report this post". Its a little button on the bottom right of everyone's post that, when pressed will send a message to admin, there's also a field to put your own comment, might want to explain why you think the post needs reporting.

But keep in mind that generally people don't just decide to start being rude for no reason. So it might be a good idea to look through what you have written previously first ;)

Of course, if and when this site ends up getting a lot more regular posters, the number of complaints is bound to increase, so It would probably then pay to have a set of rules and if anyone continually ignores them there's really no need to waste time with PM's.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby freerocketman1 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:37 pm

:+ :+ :+ :+
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
Also. A few things with the new board that some may not have noticed is the ability to "report this post". Its a little button on the bottom right of everyone's post that, when pressed will send a message to admin,

I think when things get out of control the damage is done well before ''the'' explosive post
Of course, if and when this site ends up getting a lot more regular posters, the number of complaints is bound to increase, so It would probably then pay to have a set of rules

Wouldn't it be better to be proactive rather than reactive? Come the day when it's plain to see we need a change I can bet my bottom dollar that someone will have either been hurt and left the community.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Activity_Dept » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:42 pm

It is a good point will_deness, we might make this thread sticky to start and I will add it to my ever-growing list. But just a little further on Ozzy's point about the 'report a post' feature; the admin i.e. Ozzy and myself, possibly mod's Troy and other volunteers in the future have the ability to send a warning about a post and if left unheeded 'ban the user', something no one wants to do but if you receive a warning please don't shoot the messenger but take a deep breath and look at how easy a light hearted comment can progress into a heated agument (something others don’t want to see particularly when they only read the last one or two posts) so if you’ve been warned its probably for a reason so change the post and move on...

I don't think we have axed anyone yet so lets try to keep it a friendly forum and remember some of the guys and girls here have a sense of humor, I know its what keeps me coming back for more so roll with it, this is a light hearted form of entertainment in some cases a literary treat so lets enjoy it.

Speaking of literary treats what happened to Kramer, anyone heard?

:cheers
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby freerocketman1 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:05 pm

will if you try the little button you should get a responce within 3 mins as i tried it today while playing with ozzys post :lol:

yes i did get a stern warning for pushing that button but it was worth it for a laugh.

:*** :***

hey ozzy
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Forum Rules, Questions & Comments.