Why would?

Forum Rules, post questions, comments or suggestions, about this forum or website.

Why would?

Postby will_deness » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:25 pm

Why would p-r-e-s-c-r-i-p-t-i-o-n be censered down to "spammer"? I can understand some other words confusing the dictionary like B-a-l-l-c-o-c-k, but that, I can not for the life of me work it out.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Why would?

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:24 pm

It's because adds for v-i-a-g-r-a use that word. Pretty standard across a few forums.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby will_deness » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:40 pm

So all the medicines you need a doctor to approve in australia, v-i-a-g-r-a has given p-r-e-s-c-r-i-p-t-i-o-n ( this is like when kids are little you would spell out adult conversations) a bad name. I would have thought the filter would have enough key words to look for without that word :shock:
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby amanda » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:54 pm

The filter at my work was actually stopping all emails to me from Virgin Blue because of the word Virgin. I couldn't figure out why I always got Jetstar itineraries immediately and the Virgin ones never arrived. :***
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby will_deness » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:03 pm

Do the admins have a option to overide certain words in the filter? If so maybe we could have a thread to suggest word as they crop up, because frankly in my opinion P-r-e-s-c-r-i-p-t-i-o-n is overkill.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:05 pm

Mine does so I expect this does as well.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby will_deness » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:10 pm

Well there you go :***
Admin can I ask a favour??
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Activity_Dept » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:18 pm

To be honest I think this would be the first time the word SPAMMER has come up as a requested word and give we receive close to 100 SPAMS a day many using this word I'm sure you could understand my reservation of changing it. There is a facility to allow word censoring on/off by user but to be frank I think we will just have to accept some of the minor issues until we get on top of the big ones. :grin:
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:To be honest I think this would be the first time the word SPAMMER has come up as a requested word and give we receive close to 100 SPAMS a day many using this word I'm sure you could understand my reservation of changing it. There is a facility to allow word censoring on/off by user but to be frank I think we will just have to accept some of the minor issues until we get on top of the big ones. :grin:

Admin

Have you thought of running a YaBB Board. There is a converter for phpBB. No spam with the new YaBB 2.2.1
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby will_deness » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:26 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:To be honest I think this would be the first time the word SPAMMER has come up as a requested word and give we receive close to 100 SPAMS a day many using this word I'm sure you could understand my reservation of changing it. There is a facility to allow word censoring on/off by user but to be frank I think we will just have to accept some of the minor issues until we get on top of the big ones. :grin:

Understood, normally I wouldn't bother, just there isn't many words that can substiute that word. Actually none that come to mind :?:
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:29 pm

will_deness wrote:

Understood, normally I wouldn't bother, just there isn't many words that can substiute that word. Actually none that come to mind :?:

Actually you would be surprised how many. Spam filters on email work on the same guidelines.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:33 pm

Testing Iamaverylonelypersonwithnothingtodo
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Activity_Dept » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:46 pm

I will have a look at providing word censor controls to users shortly but board styles are done see announcement. Haven’t looked at Yabb yet is it good?
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:52 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:I will have a look at providing word censor controls to users shortly but board styles are done see announcement. Haven’t looked at Yabb yet is it good?

Easy to install, easy to use, easy to add to, easy to template, it's free .......... ummmmm what else?

Oh, look at mine http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/cgi- ... b2/YaBB.pl ::()
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Derek wrote:
Activity_Dept wrote:I will have a look at providing word censor controls to users shortly but board styles are done see announcement. Haven’t looked at Yabb yet is it good?

Easy to install, easy to use, easy to add to, easy to template, it's free .......... ummmmm what else?

Oh, look at mine http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/cgi- ... b2/YaBB.pl ::()

Oh, I install them for people as a sideline. :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Next

Return to Forum Rules, Questions & Comments.