Adding Mosquito Netting to Tent Awning

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Adding Mosquito Netting to Tent Awning

Postby Woodsy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:47 pm

As the topic says we have a awning off our tent which is open with no surrounds to protect the gf from the creepy crawlys while we are sitting outside. Whats the best way to Add some netting to it? I don't really want to sew the netting into the awning as that just adds more weight to the tent and means i have to cram even more into the bag the tent came in. Would velcro be best? If i sew the velcro into the awning and use some pegs to hold it down? With a zip in the middle for entering purposes? Also what netting is best?... Fly screen i cannot see lasting to long.. Is it possible to buy the material they use for the netting on the windows of tents from Spotlight etc?...

Here is a pic of the Awning

Cheers

Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Re: Adding Mosquito Netting to Tent Awning

Postby keznpaul » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:10 pm

Heya Josh,
Creepy crawlies? Isn't that what camping is all about? Haha j/k... I would suggest Velcro - only because we suggesed the same thing for Dad last night. Not sure about which flyscreen - but I guess your local camping shop may be able to help if noone has any ideas on here?
Cheers Kez n Paul
*** We're in no hurry - our motto for when we finally get to go around Australia ***
keznpaul
Camping King

Postby Woodsy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:43 am

I don't mind your normal creepy crawlies.. I think if she had her way i would be putting fly screen all around our Fly... and its a bloody big fly!.. ( Not the little tarp in the photo ) I am off this morning to hunt some material down for it.. I thought shade cloth may be an idea... but you can't see through it at night.

Cheers

Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby amanda » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:47 am

You can buy netting at Spotlight. It comes in various colours and various weights. From memory it starts at about $1.20 a metre for the lightweight style, and up to about $1.90 for the heavier version. If you used a weight similar to the ones on screen houses you should be pretty right. I think your velcro idea is probably the best for attaching it to the tent. Just remember when your stitching it on to use a heavy duty nedle in the machine or you'll be frustrated by many breakages.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:24 am

Finally pulling my finger out with this one.

Went to spot light yesterday and all they had was Mosquito netting in the one weight. At $3.99 a metre. The only suitable colours there were white and dark green... unless i want hot pink mozzie netting? :P

Have it all planned out in my head for how i want it to look and for reinforcing the areas that will most need it. The only problem i have found is the zipper. Its cheap at $1.49 a metre but its only a 1 sided zipper which is from spotlight as well.

The gf is trying to get me to agree to a new tent that already has a fly on it with no need for what i am doing.. But we have only used our tent 3 times and don't really feel the need for a new one just yet.

Cheers!

Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:40 pm

Here is a quick drawing of what i want it to look like..

I plan on re enforcing the top and bottom and have tent pegs holding the base to the ground through eyelets.

The entrance is marked by the thick black line which i plan to be a zipper. How ever i would prefer to have a larger entrance to the tent as i am 6ft tall and dont really want to be ducking all the time to get in and out of the awning resuting in a sore neck.

In that case i may make the entrance double back on itself either to the side or to the top.

I am abit wary of using velcro to seal the entrance and i think pulling on it will tear the netting itself. As finding a double sided zipper seems quite hard especially at that length.

Please let me know what you think

Cheers

Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:51 pm

You can buy the fly screen by the metre as used in tent windows etc from any canvas maker.

Not sure what creepy crawlies you want to keep out....but if it is only flies and mosquitoes then you can go to Bunnings and buy the fly nets that are used over the large outdoor umbrellas, think they used to be about $22.

They are already made up complete with zips and all you need to do is split them down one side, add the velcro. There is already a strip along the bottom with eylets for pegging down

See pic I have attached. On this one I used 2 of these fly screens which are attached to the extended awning which is zipped to the CT awning.

As you can see because they are made circular they increase the overall footprint giving you the opportunity to store items out of the way. You can just drop them straight down if you want.

The entrance is at the centre front.

Cheers.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GypsyLady on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:45 pm

Thanks Gypsylady i will definately have a look at Bunnings next time i am there.. I just need to find someone who works there that knows what they are talking about lol
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:27 pm

Bought it from Bunnings today cost me almost $18. I will have a play with it and see what i can come up with.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:10 pm

TUFF wrote:Bought it from Bunnings today cost me almost $18. I will have a play with it and see what i can come up with.

$18......Bonus

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dettie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:04 am

Tuff & Gypsy... I"m so impressed by both of your setups. Tuff, I'm sure your gf will love it! :)

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks Dettie but really our setup is just the basics.. I just bought a Commodore Stationwagon so hopefully we don't need the trailer for camping anymore.. Should make it abit easier.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby knoath » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:20 am

gypsylady, great set up!
Could we see some close ups of the joins?

Josh... love the hatch mate!!!
Miss mine...

Dick
knoath
Captain Camping

Postby Woodsy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:52 am

Miss mine too... sold that in 2007... wish i held onto it... it was my baby
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:22 pm

knoath wrote:gypsylady, great set up!
Could we see some close ups of the joins?

Dick

Joins...what joins Dick??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations