this battery any good?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

this battery any good?

Postby will_deness » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:11 pm

Just got given 2 near new http://www.gotbatteries.com/items.asp?p ... 4/36L204S1 .Any battery gurus know how well these will run a waeco 50l frig?
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: this battery any good?

Postby cokebottle » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:48 am

Do you know how much amps the fridge draws?, use that as a rough guide to how long it will run on a battery such as the one you are looking at.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby will_deness » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:39 am

Anything above the rudimentary basics and I start to think it's all witchcraft as far as amps, volts, and watts are concerned. So what your saying cokebottle is the battery will run the frig for 55 or so hrs? To me it just doesn't add up,feels like I am missing something :?: Image
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cokebottle » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:41 pm

That's' how it's "supposed" to work, under ideal conditions - ie: fully charged, at rated temps etc if your unit draws 1 amp & you have a battery that is rated at 50ah it "should" be able to deliver 50 amps for 1hr or 1 amp for 50 hrs, maybe!

In my experience I have always got less than that, but then again I never had a brand new battery to play with, when I was a kid I always had second hand ones running my CB radio in my bedroom on slow trickle charge (mmmm smell of bubbling acid) then had a 2nd hand motor bike battery running a car driving light on the handle bars :shock:

When I went shooting with some mates a few years back, one of the guys left his fridge (unknown brand) plugged in all day & night, next day his battery was just barely able to turn over the engine.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby will_deness » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:47 pm

Thanks coke. another question regarding volts and amps. so if a battery produces 50 amp hrs fully charged, does that mean after it has run a 1amp per hour item for 50 hrs the battery would be dead flat?
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cokebottle » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:06 pm

That's the theory, but in reality it starts to drop before that & they say you should never run a lead-acid battery totaly flat.

Like I said I have never actually tested a new battery & seen how many amps per hrs you get, but when I was doing my apprenticeship we learnt that was how the amp-hour rating worked, but in the real world I know that things don't always work as they do on paper. I had better not confuse you with talk of "CCA" (Cold Cranking Amps) rating on car batteries either :lol:

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby will_deness » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:19 pm

cokebottle wrote: I had better not confuse you with talk of "CCA" (Cold Cranking Amps) rating on car batteries either :lol:

I understand normal car batteries arn't the ultimate for fridges as they are designed to produce larger amounts over a short time, whereas, and I'm hoping these batts will produce sustained power longer. I need to make up a couple alligator clips and a car cigarette socket to test the batteries on the frig.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:50 pm

This is a similar unit to what they look like, just the terminals are different.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:09 pm

WHOOOA not a chance in hell thats a good battery - not at that price!

OK some basic battery theory

Ah = amp hours. These should be measured over 20 hours. ie how much current can be drawn from the battery over 20 hours to drain the battery 100%

CCA = cold crank amps measured at 0 degrees. now from memory this is the amopunt of current that can be drawn from the battery for i think 30 seconds @ 0 degrees. Dont quote me on that though as I can't really remember but its not important for our use any way.

Now you should never drain a battery 100% infact 50% should be the absolute maximum you should drain a battery EVER.
So a 50Ah battery gives us 25Ah of "useable" power storage. if a fridge uses 1amp per hour that will be 25 hours of use. Great in theory - BUT...

Fridges are thermostatically controlled and use an induction motor so they use power in an unregular fashion.
IE my Waeco CF-80 needs 7.5amps at 12V nominal when running BUT my fridge may only run 70% of the time for the first hour then 30% for the second hour then I may have taken something out or put something in so the fridge has to work harder and then runs 80% of the time for the 3rd hour then over night it might only run for 15% of the time so over a 24 hour period it has probably run for 60% of the time so 60% of 7.5amps = 4.5amps per hour AVERAGE
multiply this by 24 to get my average daily power consumption of 108amps so for me and my fridge I need around 220Ah of battery capacity per day for every day I am not replenishing those batteries. (note these are just examples in practice i only need around 100ah of capacity per day with my setup)

Now you say your fridge is the waeco CF-50 which according to waeco uses an average of 0.86 amps per hour. Lets be a little wasteful and say it uses an average of 1.1amps per hour 1.1X24=26.4, 26.4x2=52.8 so lets say 55amp hours of reserve charge per day.

I would suggest going to batteryworld or similar and talking to those guys. I'd probably look at some of the 100Ah gel batteries as I would suggest these would be the best bang for buck and I would think you could get a 100ah battery well and truely under the price suggested by the link above which is reffering to a 51ah battery!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:40 am

Thanks for that great info Komodo ::)
Komodo wrote:WHOOOA not a chance in hell thats a good battery - not at that price!

Let me quote myself
Just got given 2 near new

Komodo wrote:Now you should never drain a battery 100% infact 50% should be the absolute maximum you should drain a battery EVER.
So a 50Ah battery gives us 25Ah of "useable" power storage. if a fridge uses 1amp per hour that will be 25 hours of use. Great in theory - BUT...

Here's the part I dont get! the waeco cf50 has a 3 stage battery protection cutoff, which has 3 setting to automatically cut off when the voltage drops. I think med is 11.something volts (which is the setting I use, but using these I would set it to low 10.something). So am I correct in thinking any battery which is rated XX amp hours, is in reality a lot less than that in real life?
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:34 am

haha - OOOPS gotta admit I missed the bit about the fact that they were given!
In that case they are a bloody bargin! LOL

That is correct batterys dont have any where near the usable capacity that they are measured as. Now some might see this as a bad thing but in actual fact depending on the use its a very good thing because it is a standard.

10V is getting very low I would advise only using this setting when really needed and recharging the batteries ASAP after using this setting to avoid sulphation.

You CAN also bypass the low voltage protection circuitry all together if you want - i'll leave that to your own investigations should you choose to go that option (i'm thinking about it)

Any questions dont hessitate to ask I'll endevour to answer them to the best of my knowledge
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:04 am

Thanks Kom I think I'm finally getting my head around this. I just connected a battery to the frig and will see how long it runs for. Will post the results.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:47 pm

Bit less than 20hrs per battery, I was hoping more, (I think I might give them back as I'm sure my mate knows someone who could use a battery for lighting).Bearing in mind it was a test under pretty good conditions, the fridge didn't get opened at all and it was in the coolest part of the house. which would mean it would be very unimpressive during summer when real power is needed
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:41 pm

Yeah thats about what I thought you'd get per battery.

You could run them in series for a 24V setup this I would expect to see you get 45-50 hours out of the pair or paralleled (man my spelling has officially died) @ 12V and I would expect about 40 hours out of the pair. parralled you could connect a small solar setup and get an almost endless supply of power for the fridge...
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Teabag » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:34 pm

Be very careful with Battery info.....Here is a web site that will explain everything you would want to know about 12 batteries. It's a true wealth of info....

Hope this helps some way....

http://www.batteryfaq.org/
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide