QLD - FERN HILL PARK : REPORT

QLD - FERN HILL PARK : REPORT

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:46 am

ARRRGGGHHH!!! This is the third time i`ve done this it keeps disappearing on me.....

Myself,Al,Sharon and Family had our Easter at Fern Hill park, a place Derek posted up,Al will do his own report and he took a lot more photos of the toilets,showers etc.

It was a long drive for us Gold Coasters...4 hours WITHOUT stopping,take into account the slowing of traffic at the Gateway Bridge and stopping for pets and teenagers the trip can easily be 5 to 6 hours,Alan said they took 5 1/2,.
We went through Gympie then turned off at Gunalda.
It is country road but in good condition,about 7 ks of dirt (but 2 sections) My little Getz had no trouble. The seven bridges they talk about are the old ricketty wooden type,one with a train track running beside you (i don`t think the rail is used).there are 3 cattle grids and the cattle roam free so you might find yourself stopping to let them cross the road.

Fern Hill Park...
The people are very friendly and taking your pets are no trouble,infact most dogs were off lead during the day,the owners ask you to keep them with you at night and inside as there are wild dingoes that roam.

The grounds are spacious and lots of free space,people were playing footy,cricket etc and kids took their pushbikes
It is BUSH camping, NO powered sites,chemical toilets were set up and some drop toilets,they were emptied and kept clean,showers were very very very basic 3 walls and a tarp for a shower curtain and they supplied solar shower bags,i didn`t see anyone use these all weekend.
Water was supplied two main taps in the camp grounds,he told us it is rain water pumped up to the house,filtered and back down to the camp site,he assured us it was pure and you could drink straight from the tap,i`m still kicking.
Fire pits were set up through out the main camp and they supplied logs FREE,you need to cut them yourself (and don`t flog anyone elses or you`ll be in big trouble eh Al??? :lol: )

The swimming hole,in my opinion could have had a bit more whipper snipping,there are no built tracks just tracks worn by human traffic. I would not say it is good for the very young,there are logs rocks etc all through the creek and they have to be old enough to navigate these,although there were young ones there with parents.
Fishing...
There are 2 dams for fishing one with Bass and the other (i can`t remember) IT is NOT FREE
$25 for adults and $15 for children,Alan did discuss with him he would not pay if he didn`t catch anything,the owner agreed.

Overall i enjoyed the uncrowdedness and of course my dogs had a great time,you need to be able to occupy yourself as apart from the swimming hole and walking around the property that`s it. Al and crew left for Rainbow Beach Sunday to find a bit more action.
I`m going to try to upload some photos
The owner did tell us they had a massive lot of rain through the last week or two hence the grass not being mowed as good as it could have been,the main area was very well kept.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: FERN HILL PARK : REPORT

Postby freerocketman1 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:40 pm

thanks pj looks like a great place, i cant believe it wasnt packed out. :+
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:04 am

I also checked this place out whilst in the area and I was not as impressed with it as you PJ.

In fact as we were driving out we came across a snake on the road and stopped to watch. It reared up at the car ready to strike and that also put me off a bit.

I had a really good chat with the owner and it seems the place is on the market for sale.

He also told me that his plans for an amenities block were in at council and had finally been approved but with the recent council amalgamation he is not sure if he will have to re submit.

I do think once it is established a bit more, it will become a lot more attractive.

I would also like to see a designated access to Munna Creek. I also believe the fee to fish the dam is a little expensive.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:12 am

gypsylady wrote: I had a really good chat with the owner and it seems the place is on the market for sale.

Did he say how much? I know some people looking for that sort of semi retirement sea-change, maybe tho it's a little underdeveloped for their liking.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:27 am

I THINK i heard him tell Alan $235,000 I can`t remember for how many Acres.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:41 am

will_deness wrote:
gypsylady wrote: I had a really good chat with the owner and it seems the place is on the market for sale.

Did he say how much? I know some people looking for that sort of semi retirement sea-change, maybe tho it's a little underdeveloped for their liking.

Think it is about $200,000 Will and it is quite under developed.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Queensland