QLD- Landcruiser Mountain Park- Jimna via Kilcoy

QLD- Landcruiser Mountain Park- Jimna via Kilcoy

Postby ChallengeLee » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:06 pm

:armsup I've just come back from a 3 day weekend with my 4WDrive club at Landcruser Park, although it was a 4wd weekend, l thought l'd do a review on the camping itself as l couldn't see one within the forums themselves.

http://www.landcruisermountainpark.com.au/index.php

The environment and scenery was beautiful, the smell of nature divine.

The facilties are very minimal but clean and reasonably maintained, hot showers and toilets are available at the main camp areas. The Park office carries drinks, ice, milk, bread, cigarettes, batteries and film. You need to supply your own drinking water and l found that l was unable to get mobile phone service till l was close to Kilcoy but a public phone is available at the office as well.

Camping is allowed anywhere on the park itself but you would need to be self sufficient if you wanted to camp elsewhere from the main areas. There are some beautiful spots off the beaten track but a 4wd would be needed to reach many of these.

Given the price l would think twice about it being a camping area that l would consider without a 4wd in saying that with a group of 4wd enthusiasts it's the best.

4WD Vehicles
$35 per vehicle for 24 hour stay
$25 day trip per vehicle/extra day
6 to 7 nights camping $175

2 WD Vehicles
Camping: $25 night per vehicle 24 hours stay

I did however find my initial impression of one of the owners to be somewhat disappointing, not very forthcoming with information or welcoming, l think l may have interrupted her lunch. In saying that l will have prior knowledge for the next trip of what l needed to know initially so all will be well.

Road signs and signage for the park itself along the way to it could have been better, l'm actually glad l came through during the day, some of our members came after dark and those that hadn't been before were glad for radio contact and gps'.

We didn't encounter any undesirables, the park was fairly quiet and the weather was beautiful, a little chilly during the evening but you just made a bigger campfire.

Was a wonderful weekend overall, the camping was great, l had heaps of fun, my man/child finally got to experience my 4WDriving skills including the mishap in the water crossing, the adrenaline induced hill climbs and the one scary tilted moment when l thought l could stop the car from tipping over by putting my arm out the window....LOL

Please feel free to add on your thoughts as well.

Lee
ChallengeLee
Camping Veteran

Re: QLD- Landcruiser Mountain Park- Jimna via Kilcoy

Postby snake_dr » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:09 am

Glad you had a good time!

We were out there a few weeks back, not our first time though.

We were there for a sat/sun night and the toilets and showers during our stay were pretty horrible, even after he cleaned them sunday afternoon they were still disgusting!

We got the impression the owners are new and also didnt get the warm fuzzy feeling by the young girl at the front counter.

Overall its quite a nice place if you can ignore the billions of flys and bugs.

I'll resize some photo's to add to the post a bit later
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby Scolers » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:21 am

The prices keep me away ... even Big 4 are cheaper and they are considered as one of the most expensive van parks.
:?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby AussieSunset » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:53 am

I only have a 2 wheel drive van but have this park on the list to go. I do enjoy watching other 4x4s have a go at things as i'm not that daring myself.
In the above post it says only 24 hr stay for 2 wheel drives, is that right? Why would they restrict 2 wheel drive cars? Or is it strickly only for people with 4x4's now ?
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby will_deness » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:12 am

AussieSunset wrote:I only have a 2 wheel drive van but have this park on the list to go. I do enjoy watching other 4x4s have a go at things as i'm not that daring myself.
In the above post it says only 24 hr stay for 2 wheel drives, is that right? Why would they restrict 2 wheel drive cars? Or is it strickly only for people with 4x4's now ?

No I would think that's just a per day price. To them it would be better money-wise, because only on the first day a 4WD is paying an extra $10 then they are paying same price. So after 3 days the 4WD owners are only paying roughly a extra $3 per day to tear up the tracks. meanwhile the 2wd drivers are doing nice cheap maintenance stuff like watching,relaxing and so on.
I have never been there and am just getting the prices from the above post.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby AussieSunset » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:25 am

Thanks will_deness, I think i should go back to school :*** i must have been reading it wrong. I went back to the site a noticed that the 4x4's had "24 hr stay" as well. Why dont they just put per day/night? Then i wouldnt have got mixed up.
Cool so it's still on the list :+
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:39 pm

snake_dr wrote:We got the impression the owners are new and also didnt get the warm fuzzy feeling by the young girl at the front counter.

It is my understanding that Alben & Helen Perrett still own the park and if that is the case they are definitely not new.

Alben certainly has a bit of a reputation for arrogance that is for sure.

Overall in the quite times LCMP is nice but go there when they have an event on and it is a whole other planet and not necessarily a nice one.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:48 pm

AussieSunset wrote: Why dont they just put per day/night? Then i wouldnt have got mixed up.
Cool so it's still on the list :+

Because a 24 hour stay takes in camping or portion thereof whereas a day rate is strictly a day visit with no camping.

So if you turn up at 6pm om friday evening to camp over you still pay the $35 for the friday.

Alben has always been in it for the money, he is not at all interested in the 'service' and when Toyota pulled what little sponsorship they gave a couple of years ago it became more of a money tree.

Don't know if they still do it but in the past all their insurance was handled off shore as well.

Cheers...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:20 pm

It has been many years since I have been to Lancruiser Park.

I still have some pics on my personal website, however it is on a free server so I apologize for the annoying adds that keep on popping up :-)

http://mysticallovesong.150m.com/4wdriving.htm
I absolutely love downunder and want to see all of it, especially the outback
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:34 pm

mystical_aussiegal wrote:It has been many years since I have been to Lancruiser Park.

Scary Stuff aussiegal...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby cruiser » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:04 pm

great report lee,and love the pics mystical,does make it a bit easier with all feet on the ground :+
cruiser
Camping Veteran

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:18 pm

~ ~ The advantages for me, Used to be... I would burn fat as I would walk and take the pics ... lol
I absolutely love downunder and want to see all of it, especially the outback
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:53 am

mystical_aussiegal wrote:~ ~ The advantages for me, Used to be... I would burn fat as I would walk and take the pics ... lol

And can't I identify with walking the tracks too...... Video camera in one hand still camera slung around my neck and UHF radio in my pocket and the other hand hanging on to whatever to prevent me from slipping or falling over.... Good old days...well maybe:-)))))
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mrsbanksy » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi Everyone,
My name is Liz I'm new on the forum, would just like to say its a great forum loaded with lots of great infomation. It's also great to be able to share infomation on camping spots. I'd just like to add a reply about Landcruiser Park as I was reading the replies. The toliets are always dirty yes, we only see the office people when we go in and out so I haven't stayed and chatted with them. The place itself though is alot of fun we go with other friends camp and 4wd. I't is $35 per 24hr's but thats per car, so if you can fit ten people in your car so be it. I't is a great place to go to with a group of friends with 4wd's we like to go off from the beaten track and camp alone as you can camp anywhere so then it's nice. I't is basically though a four wheel place. Liz. :hello:
Is it the long weekend yet?
mrsbanksy
Boy Scout

Postby Teabag » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:08 am

I personally think LCMP is a little over rated and to be honest not worth the coin. Yes, there are a few good tracks worth a play but the facilities don't back the price IMO. For $35 I would expect more....Just my view but a little over rated IMO....

Last edited by Teabag on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Queensland