Mr_Grumble - CT spare wheel mounting

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Mr_Grumble - CT spare wheel mounting

Postby Cruzin » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi Steve,
Can you give any detail about your spare wheel mounting on your CT please.
Particularly interested in what appears to be a "Bracing Rod" and also whether any changes were made to the tail gate or the tail gate hinges.

Also, can you comment on the Spare wheel coming into contact with the annexe wall at all - has there been any provision made in the annexe wall for the spare tyre?
I have seen such a modification in the annexe wall of a "ModCon" CT.

mr_grumble wrote:on the back of the Camper ::)
Thanks again

Steve

Thanx Shane
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Re: Mr_Grumble - CT spare wheel mounting

Postby Troyk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:19 am

Cruzin wrote:I have seen such a modification in the annexe wall of a "ModCon" CT.

Thanx Shane

Just curious, what was the modification?

On mine there is a gap between the tailgate and annex wall, to which the tyre fits. :)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Cruzin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi Troyk

The modification was in the annexe wall itself, where the manufacturer had made a "pocket" to match the profile of the spare wheel so that it fitted snugly in the pocket when the tailgate was opened. ie (something like what my father would have done as he was a fastidous "upholsterer in his days on earth")
I saw it at Flannagans and enquired of the owner "what happens when / if you change vehicles and also trailer tyre/rim sizes etc and the spare dosen't fit the pocket anymore?"

'I dunno' was the answer..

My annexe wall sits snug/tight against the open tailgate, and I am looking for options...

Rgds
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby mr_grumble » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:04 am

Where I was to put the spare was probably the most difficult decision of the entire build.
I originally wanted to place it under the trailer just foward of the axle, but that would have severly reduced ground clearance as well as an increased ball weight.
Couldn't have it on the drawbar, no room left there after storage box and stone guard, so it more or less had to be on the tailgate.

I was concerned about puting it on the tailgate as I wasn't sure how
1). The tailgate hinge would handle it.
2). Whether or not the tailgate itself would begin to warp when opened

As you can see, it ended up on the tailgate out of necessity, but in hindsight, a good move, is accesable, counterbalances the load up front giving me a very reasonable ball weight.

Both the hinge and the tailgate itself have faired very well with no warping or anything untowards at all :?#

As for how the wheel interferes with the camptop, it sort of does to an extent.

With out camptop, we have an additional annex wall which encloses the annex to the rear of the trailer. If we decide not to put the annex wall (75% of the time), then the spare wheel doesn't interfere at all.

If we do have the wall on, with the tailgate opened perpendicular to the trailer, the tyre does make contact with the annex wall (intrudes approx 100-150mm).
By doing so it stops the walls from sealing 100%.
The fix, well the tailgate is on the type of hinges that you just lift the tailgate up and off and then under the trailer 8)
Or I guess you could remove the spare :roll:

Just beware that the weight of the tailgate, spare wheel and the additional bracing weighs a bucket load, I'd estimate around the 50-60kg mark, so removing the tailgate,not something the wife could do by herself.

Hope these help.

Steve
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby mr_grumble » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:39 am

Found the CAD dwg I originally did for the bracket assembly, not 100% sure how much I stuck to those dimensions though :mrgreen:

Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Cruzin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi Steve,

Sorry have been offline for awhile with rehab for the Mrs. (Lady Cruzin has had a shoulder re-construction)
Thanx for the sparewheel info (as usual I'm trying to catch up with all this stuff)
I have an underbody Toyota "spare wheel" (holder/crane) that was to be utilised for the CT spare.
But I am more interested in counterbalance weight for the "CT ball weight" figure.

Just need to check some figures for the soon to be added water tank and spare wheel combo.

The info it is very much appreciated (and looks to be incorporated in my CT build)

BTW I have been "seasoning" the CT canvass over the last 4 weeks and I'm very happy with the progressive results.

Rgds
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby mr_grumble » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:48 am

The counterweight thing was a real pain in the butt, it altered the original design quite a bit, but I would have to say for the better now that I look back ;)
I did my best to calculate everything but things just got too much and I ended up going into the shed one Saturday morning and tying everything onto the trailer with rope and cable ties to get an actual idea of how the counterweighting effects of all the 'bits' will affect the finished product. Have to say, I think this is the best thing I could have done, gave me a really accurate idea.

I found that the compiling weight on the ball increased faster than what I expected it to. If I hadn't done a dynamic trial, I think I would have ended up with a very heavy ball weight.

I haven't measured the ball weight, but with everything loaded, the ball weight is around the 40-50kg. Handles very well and doesn't impace upon the Pajero's stance what so ever.

As for the seasoning of the canvas, I did that once or twice and noticed that I wasn't getting water in anywhere, so I haven't worried about it since.

Hope Lady Cruzin' is on the mend.
Might have to start hitchin the camper yourself now :lol:
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Hissy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:57 am

Looks excellent,

When the tail gate is open does the weight of the wheel effect the hinge at all?

I guess maybe over time it may be noticable.

I noticed when i fitted my kitchen to mine that it loads up the hinges a little.

Where did you get the camping forum sticker??
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:10 am

Hissy wrote:Where did you get the camping forum sticker??

Hissy, I think if you PM the Activity Dept they can send you one. There was a thread about this a while back in the "Questions and Comments" forum.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mr_grumble » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:44 am

Hissy wrote:Looks excellent,

When the tail gate is open does the weight of the wheel effect the hinge at all?

I guess maybe over time it may be noticable.

I noticed when i fitted my kitchen to mine that it loads up the hinges a little.

Where did you get the camping forum sticker??

Surprisingly, not really. I thought it might which is why I made a support for when it has to be open for extended periods, but the tailgate doesn't even sag when open :armsup

The hinges I have are pretty serious though....
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Mrscoffscruza » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:45 am

I f you have enough room, you can mount the tyre off the front draw bar. The tyre will be standing up vertical. Our camper trailer has toolbox and tyre sitting on the draw bar freeing the tailgate area.
Mrscoffscruza
Camping King

Postby Hissy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Another question, what are the two brass and black pieces either side of the number plate in the later photos?
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby mr_grumble » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:18 pm

Hissy wrote:Another question, what are the two brass and black pieces either side of the number plate in the later photos?

Under the trailer is the water tank. The brass bit is a hose adaptor and the black bit is a threaded poly tank fitting which penetrates through the panel it's mounted on and connects to hoses / valves on the other side.

The one on the left is the fill port and the one on the right connects to the kitchen tap when it's extracted via a short length of hose (as can be seen in the 4th pic above).

Seems to work very well. I have a drinking water hose in the storage box up front so I can refill wherever there is a garden tap available or via a 12v pump should we come across a freshwater lake / river.

Nice easy, very cheap solution. From memory all plumbing (excluding the tank) came to about $15-$20.
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Return to Camper Trailers