oz tent

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

oz tent

Postby double_d » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:57 pm

does anyone have or had in the past
a oztent

i seen them at bcf a few times
but never thought anything of them
until i sat in a chair there and seen a promo video
of them
30 seconds to set up :+

and they were going pretty slow at it too
i am now thinking of getting rid of my camper trailer and getting 2 of these and a normal trailer

daniel d
double_d
Captain Camping

Re: oz tent

Postby freerocketman1 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:16 pm

daniel have a look on exploroz, they have a small review about them. after reading it id be thinking twice about it, especialy if your going to buy two of them.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby double_d » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:15 am

can you show me the link
i cant find it
thanks

daniel d
double_d
Captain Camping

Postby will_deness » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:25 am

I took a while to find it, I think he meant this one http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/View.aspx ... efault.asp .Opinion is divided on the tent.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Cheiffy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi Daniel,

We have the RV4 and cannot rave about it enough. I was at first sceptical but after inspecting them, we opted on buying one. It is easier to put up than my dome swag and has ample room for the two of us and our two dogs when they come with us. The main concern mentioned in the link above was the condensation build up but this can occur in any sort of tent. The Oztent is an absolute breeze to set up and pack away and all of the materials & pegs etc are good quality. The only drawback is you will need roofracks or similar to carry as they are quite long. This however, is overshadowed by the fact that you will be the first person in camp to be set up and doing a number on an icy cold Boags whilst smiling at all the others in your group.
I dont know about flogging of the camper trailer though. We are about to embark on a lap around the country and we will take both the camper trailer and the Oztent with us. They both will be very useful as i am not overly keen to set up the trailer on those one nighters.

Cheers
Cheiffy :beer
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:51 pm

Agree with Chieffy. Looked at them but the cost and the fact they are about 2 metre long and needed roof bars swayed us in another direction.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:58 pm

I havnt had one but I have seen them being put up and put down and they literally are a 30 sec tent (however, if windy you need to peg it down which is not included in the time span)

The reason I didnt get one is because they take up heaps of space... hence the reason why I went for a touring tent.. which folds up to approx 1 m square.

To put up my tent, I peg it down on 4 corners, then lift it up with the centre pole. The tent is then up!!! (plus I can do it by myself and take it down by myself) this is the 2nd one I have had (the first lasted yrs) however, with the first one, we never pegged the front down where the door zipper is and I believe that is why towards the end I had troubles with the door zip. (even though the zip was candle waxed)

With my new one, I peg down the front to keep everything tight. It takes an extra minute to peg down but I believe this in an investment into the life of the tent.

If space isnt an issue, I would recommend the oz tent.
I absolutely love downunder and want to see all of it, especially the outback
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:38 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:Agree with Chieffy. Looked at them but the cost and the fact they are about 2 metre long and needed roof bars swayed us in another direction.

What was the other direction BB??

I was thinking about buying one for when we do the desert trip.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Blue Bravo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:42 pm

We went with the tourer tent as outlined by Mystical Aussie Gal. However we got the side pole kit thrown in for free which gives clear room in the tent. Takes a few minutes to set up. Packs up small. Would suggest however that if we were to buy again we would go for the Tourer 9 version which has more room in the rear.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Teabag » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:42 pm

Several years ago I had a 30sec OZ Tent and to be honest, it was absolutly fantastic. The only fault in it I could see beside the 7 foot bag when folded up was it had minimal floor space to put a queen bed in. I believe this has changed now with the larger sizes? I sold it when we got our first camper trailer and regret the sale but I do now have a Southern Cross centre pole Touring tent as pictured and I too find it to be very good. Not quite as easy to erect, though not too much difference. I honestly wouldn't hestitate in getting another, even at the crazy price they are now.....Hope this helps.... :cheers

2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:37 am

Teabag wrote:Several years ago I had a 30sec OZ Tent and to be honest, it was absolutly fantastic. The only fault in it I could see beside the 7 foot bag

I must admit the size and weight of it folded are issues that I have concern about as well.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pebble » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:26 pm

I don't know, I had a look at all the tourers, and both the OzTent and the OzTrail Tourer were as heavy as each other, the Oz trail was more compact but still bulky, I probably would have preferred the OzTent, however we opted for a couple of good hiking tents, besides pegging down is what takes most the time in every case.
Pebble

Return to Gear Guide