heyas

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

heyas

Postby stevo. » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:14 pm

heyas... saw the lights on, thought i'd drop in... had a few beers and thought i'd rave some crap.

I'm in Clontarf/Brisbane, not much camping around here locally besides Bells Beach Caravan Park, but you don't want to go there, too many permanent residence heh.... and the beaches... well ... we didn't have any so we made them... ahh... nothing quite like a constructed beach.

Anyway... i've read a few posts about how you're trying to get more members? and then i notice there's 8150 registered members or something? ... that's crazy.. are they all bots or something? Oh well... i'm a real person, kind of... except i don't like football, so that could be a problem for some.

Some crap about myself....
I'm in to Suzukis, which we calls Zooks, we get out a fair bit and do some 4wding/camping trips around Brisbane. Can i put website links up here or do we get edited for that kind of stuff? I'd put up some links to some slideshows of piccies of us 4wding and camping. We went out to a place called The Old Coach Road which is near Nanango, west of Brisbane, just last weekend... here's a pic of some scones my mate cooked in the camp oven on the fire... and what a nice fire it was..

sorry about the website in there, but it's on the pic :?

anyway... i hope to hang around and annoy you all when i'm not camping.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby stevo. » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:27 pm

here's some more pics...

full slideshow here...

http://oz4x4.oz20.com/4x4photos/ocr080706/index.htm

stevo.

Postby Ingenious » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:02 pm

Hey Steve,
Firstly wellcome to the forum,
I'm trying to get a few mates together to do the old coach road track over a weekend leaving from Brisbane shortly, as none of us has done that track before we were going to use the Dirty weekends 4x4 book (early edition as it's not in the later ones for some reasons) for directions etc.
Your photos are a fantastic help as now I have some idea what the camping area & terain we will experiance.
I don't spose you would care for another weekend out there in about 3 or 4 week-ends time?
I haven't run a 4x4 or camping trip on this forum yet, till we can do a meet an greet & find out what the other members ideas of camping & 4x4ing are.
But your photos show you guys do pretty much what we get up to.
Our current group consists me with an old Nissan/Navara tray back ute, a old Toyota/Hilux tray back, Late model Land Rover wagon, Nissan GQ LWB wagon, & a Hybred Daihatsu F10 with a Jeep body (that I haven't seen yet).
We also have some other trips planned shortly if you can't make the next one, E.G. 1 x last Sundown National park before it gets closed shortly. Heaps of forestry trips around brisbane as there is talk of shutting them down also, so basicly tring to fit as many trips in to the places they are tring to close before they do, so when they do we can go to all the other places they haven't if that makes sense.
Cheers Terry :wink:
Ingenious
Camping King

Postby stevo. » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:27 pm

Yeah i think it may have been removed from the Dirty Weekends book because the owner probably doesn't want to encouarge people to go there. As far as i know it's private property and is some kind of public access through it.

It only takes about 20 minutes to drive from one end to the other so if you want a big hardcore track this may not be the place. There's a few little cool sections to play in though.

One thing which is a concern is the amount of rubbish that left behind by campers. I'm not sure if that would be locals or visitors from Brisbane, but if people continue to throw stubbies around and stuff like that places like this will get closed down too.

Yeah i might come out for a drive if you want to go out. What kind of things do you normally get up to? We usually have a bit of a drive around, then back to camp and crack a beer or few and rave crap around a fire :roll:
stevo.

Membership

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:17 pm

Hey Meeky,

Your always welcome to 'rave some crap' here. We are pretty casual around here so links are fine but try and keep them relevant and feel free to post 'camping’s' links around now and again (what goes around comes around is our motto here :) ).

Re: the membership; yes the number is real however we had the forum wiped out once and it took 6 months to get the thing working :oops: so the membership is still there but many lost interest and kinda hated us I think. Computers are a pain sometimes we are not that techy around here. I note your site has some good stuff google map etc. are you a computer buff?

Back then we were also promoting 'meet an outdoor type' and when you joined Camping as a member you were also given a forum account. We stopped that last year, as many were just there to 'meet an outdoor type' and not chat about camping etc. in the forum. :shock:

So we are starting to get a friendly group going with a good attitude and hope to get a few activities going as we grow. Ozzy is pretty much the site monitor he is doing a good job of keeping it interesting. We will get motivated and start promoting when we hit some larger numbers.

Anyway I wont waffle on but nice to have you aboard I realize you have your own site to promote but so do many of the members here and we all have to work together to grow and get more like minded people out there camping, 4w driving, having and sharing some experiences so all are welcome. :D
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Ingenious » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:43 pm

20 mins to drive the track could be a bit of a worry as we were hoping to make a weekend camping trip of it, is there other side tracks to explore or other tracks on the way to & from it to make it a bit more of an adventure trip for every one, tracks don't have to be hardcore as the Land Rover wagon is still stocko at the moment so has to watch out for sill & panel damage. Other vehicles range from mild to wild with mods.

Our group has only recently formed by combing two groups of friends together (met on a fourby track out at Binnies Ipswich), weve done a fair bit of day time wheeling together but no camping together yet, so this was going to be the first trip, it sounds like we do much the same as you guys, bit of mild to hard wheeling but slow & sensible (no wheelspin or revving motors) we like the technickle stuff where each person has to pick there own line to get through, quiet camping spots in the bush with campfire, campoven cooking, swags etc Good quiet bunch really.

I'm hoping to run quite a few weekend adventure trips to remote tracks in nat. parks & forestry were not a lot of other people go, so we need to be very well prepared to clear fallen trees across tracks & rebuild tracks if need be to get through, but no stupid stuff like they do in some of the DVD's you see were they break vehicles all the time.

Look forward to catch up with you guys & plan some good trips.
Cheers Terry :wink:
Ingenious
Camping King

Condamine Gorge trip

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:01 pm

Hey Terry,

That sounds ambitious; let us know how we at camping can help? Are you considering the Condamine Gorge day trip?
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Ingenious » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:25 pm

If I remember & free (not fourbing/camping) I'll be there for sure!
Cheers.
Ingenious
Camping King

Postby stevo. » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:52 am

Terry, yeah that sounds like us :wink:

There is side tracks and play areas, it's a bit hard to explain really. On some trips out there we've spent the whole day driving, back to camp for lunch, then back out. I guess it's better if someone shows you some of the tracks. Where abouts do you live? We could head out for a day before you get your mates hopes up. You could do the whole place in a day trip really, but we always like to relax around a fire so always go for one or two nights. You can do a bit of a touristy thing and follow the road to Yarraman aswell.

Activity Dept, yeah i know there lots of people plastering the net with links to promote themselves. I'll behave ... there's no money to be made at our site so we only advertise so we have people to talk to :lol:
We've done all the hardcore stuff and broken our cars etc etc, and now we're going for the more relaxed camping/offroad kind of thing. At the moment i see the weirdest thing here is getting to know what other people are like, what standards they have when it comes to offroading and camping. I used to be in a 4wd club, and there was people of all ages and everyone got along pretty good. It became pretty big though and every trip there was heaps of people so that can be a pain when you set up camp and someone else overlaps their tent on yours. I like to get away and feel like i'm out in the bush, not at Woodstock :lol:

(not a computer buff... seem to spend a lot of time geeking though when i should be working on cars or camping!)
stevo.

Postby Ingenious » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:12 am

O/K Steve, I've updated my profile to include my location :roll: (Ididn't even relise untill you asked that it wasn't there)
I'm waiting for replies from the others to see who can come whether it be a day trip or an overnighter, so I'll let you know this week which week-end to keep free for a wheel.

Checked out your SuzForum :wink: Top stuff man, I've had a old vitara for a short time & a new Jimny too, but didn't get to wheel ether much before they dissapeared from my life :cry: :cry: , these days I have a 4.2TDI GU Patrol that I pull the caravan with, but much prefer wheeling the old Navara as it cost me next to nothing & came allready dented down the RHS (I've started getting the LHS to match by wheeling at Ormeo)

Have you been out to 4x4 side of Sundown Nat. Park?

Cheers Terry.
Ingenious
Camping King

Postby stevo. » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:19 pm

yeah about 15 years ago i went with a mate to Sundown National Park, was pretty good as far as i remember. Very bouncy rough track in i think, but an awesome place to camp.

Have you been to Rover Park at Tenterfield? it's just down the road from Sundown and is pretty good for 4wding.

Also, we're going to Glendon in August, http://www.glendoncamping.com.au/ , it's just outside of Warwick, anyone is welcome to join us. So far it's just me and a mate in the zooks, will be trying to catch some fish in the dam mainly.

Here's my photos from the last time i was there... http://oz4x4.oz20.com/4x4photos/glendon280904
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:33 pm

Activity Dept, and where's this match making singles thing around here? 8)
stevo.

Postby Ingenious » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:17 pm

I haven't been to any of the pay type 4x4 parks yet, I figured I'd leave them till I run out of the free places to explore first, but I seem to always find other new places to go, so i guess It's a good time to do a bit of both.
cheers.
Ingenious
Camping King

Postby Kramer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:52 am

The pay 4WD parks are worth it IMHO because the offer a really diverse sorts of tracks from really mild to awesome all in the one place. Black Duck is supposed to be good but has lots of bikes there now, Landcruiser is my favourite I go at least a couple of times a year (Mud Bulls and Music is awesome), I have been to Manar 4WD park heaps of times over the years as its the closest to home for me I haven't been for nearly 2 years due there is too many bikes! And cityview 4WD park I have been told will become better as the tracks age a little more!
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Return to General Chit-Chat