Forum Trip - Innamincka, June 2009 (TBA)

Community groups, clubs etc. tell us about yourselves, who can join, activities, post notices and events.

Moderator: amanda

Are you interested? (you need to make 3 choices, read below)

1. Yes
35%
2. Southern QLD
26%
3. Northern QLD
No votes
4. NSW/ACT
4%
5. VIC / TAS
No votes
6. SA / WA
No votes
7. 4WD
30%
8. 2WD
4%

Total votes : 23

Re: Forum Trip - Innamicka, June 2009 (TBA)

Postby Frilly » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks a bunch Will... I will say not interested. Not my cup a tea! Hope it's a great one for everyone though! Take loads of photos...
The story of my life is about back entrances, side doors, secret elevators and other ways of getting in and out of places so that people won't bother me.
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Postby Troyk » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Frilly wrote:Thanks a bunch Will... I will say not interested. Not my cup a tea! Hope it's a great one for everyone though! Take loads of photos...

This looks like a challenge! I reckon we can bring her around! ::)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Re: Forum Trip - Innamincka, June 2009 (TBA)

Postby Frilly » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:33 pm

I can't wait to see ya try!!!!
The story of my life is about back entrances, side doors, secret elevators and other ways of getting in and out of places so that people won't bother me.
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Postby will_deness » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:38 pm

The outback may look boring and flat and big, but it is such a spectacular place and really worth at least one trip.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:02 pm

will_deness wrote:the trip would be around the 7-10 day mark.

A couple thousand klms Frilly and 7-10 would be pushing it a bit.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:54 am

Oh to have a job where i could scam holidays all the time,this trip would be fabulous but no way i would get time off work after just having 3 weeks off but you lot go for it ..Frilly be brave lifes an adventure. i have met Troyk and fam i can vouch they are not axe murders.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Frilly » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Ohhh my it's not anything like that at all Poodle! It's more getting the time off work and $$$. I would love to experience this wonderful country more and will soon!!! Thanks Guys... always helpful and cheery!!
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:Oh to have a job where i could scam holidays all the time,this trip would be fabulous but no way i would get time off work after just having 3 weeks off but you lot go for it ..Frilly be brave lifes an adventure. i have met Troyk and fam i can vouch they are not axe murders.

Dumb me...i now see it is for 2009 count me in.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby ScottyB » Tue May 20, 2008 9:27 pm

I have been to Innamincka just over 10 years ago, its very basic, but it is a hugely significant part of the history of this great country. Lets face it, how many people do you know that have been to the Dig Tree??

I played golf there believe it or not, it was an outback detectives golf classic with detectives from all over Australia out there for a weekend to raise money for the Flying Doctors, it was a massive weekend, from what I can remember :beer . We raised a lot of money for the RFDS which do such a fantastic job. I doubt the golf couse is still there so forget the clubs, we built a 9 hole course just for the weekend.

We went there through Coober Pedy. If you have never been to Central Australia before I would recommend you do the whole thing and head to Coober Pedy after Innamincka then head north into the NT and do Ayers Rock, Kings Canyon and the rest before heading back to south east Qld. I worked out there for years and took the scenery for granted, but having returned to Qld I now appreciate that it is something so different from any other part of this country and I believe something everyone should see one day.

The roads are tough on your tyres and you won't see a Bob Jane for a few thousands kms so think ahead in that regard. As you are all experienced campers I do not need to remind you to take WATER, WATER and WATER for the trip. A sat phone in at least one vehicle would be adviseable for emergencies. And the desert is a very, very cold place at night at that time of year.....

Troy you do such a fantastic job for people in organising these trips and I hope you get a few numbers up for this one to make it all worthwhile. Unfortunately in my line of work I don't get time off in the more peak holiday periods, we are too busy trying to make sure all the holiday makers just make it home. :cry:
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 21, 2008 8:47 am

I personally have done trips to most of the places you mentioned ScottyB and whilst I don't have a sat phone I do carry a personal epirb. This is a cheaper alternative for those who cannot manage the cost of a sat phone.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ScottyB » Wed May 21, 2008 9:29 am

gypsylady wrote:I personally have done trips to most of the places you mentioned ScottyB and whilst I don't have a sat phone I do carry a personal epirb. This is a cheaper alternative for those who cannot manage the cost of a sat phone.

Just thought one person going might own one or be able to borrow one.

Yes I agree with you there, when I worked out in that remote part of the world we were lucky to be issued with satphones when they came down in price a lot, with the old HF kept as backup, but the nature of our work meant it was very important we could be contacted and we could contact others.

Satphones these days are much more efficient to use and heaps cheaper than they used to be. Obviously a satphone is much better than an epirb, but like you said, not everyone can afford the cost or wants one. I was only suggesting if just one person had one for the whole convoy it would be handy, as it also allows people in the convey to be contacted in an emergency while they are away.

Its good that the group on here are such experienced travellers, and share that experience. I have seen people put their families at such unjustifiable risk by taking them out to these remote areas with absolutely no idea of the potential dangers and simply ignoring all the warnings. Unfortunately you cant charge someone with stupidity. :-bang
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 21, 2008 9:45 am

I totally agree ScottyB, mine was just an alternative suggestion as I would hate someone to think they had to buy a sat phone in order to do the trip.

Alternatively I would hate for someone to miss out on the trip because they could not afford to purchase one. And what is 'not too expensive' to you or I might not necessarily be so for others.

Even in 10 years the condition of the main roads has improved overall and when I was out there in 2003 the Strzelecki was almost like a highway.

Cheers...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Wed May 21, 2008 7:21 pm

Thanks ScottyB for the information :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu May 22, 2008 4:32 pm

To get to innaminka via Qld means there is only a couple hundred k's of dirt road. There is also significant traffic with the vehicles travelling to and from the Oil Fields.
If the trip extends past Innaminka then you are starting to get into a different type of trip and more consideration re equiptment would be necessary.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Thu May 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:To get to innaminka via Qld means there is only a couple hundred k's of dirt road. There is also significant traffic with the vehicles travelling to and from the Oil Fields.
If the trip extends past Innaminka then you are starting to get into a different type of trip and more consideration re equiptment would be necessary.

Glenn, How did you find the road from Innamincka to Camerons Corner?

I wasn't thinking any further mainly because we will probalby only have 2 weeks.

Troyk

PreviousNext

Return to Groups & Activities