Camper Trailer build up

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Camper Trailer build up

Postby Baldricks_Mate » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:16 am

Hi, I thought to run a thread on the camper trailer I've built but still working on. I'm no tradesman but I'm handy with spanners and can use a stick welder. My workshop facilities are God's Garage (back yard), a sloping driveway and a chock-a-block single car garage. Maybe it will inspire a few people but feedback on better ways of doing stuff is welcome too.

First step was to assess what I already had by way of gear to re-use for the project. Since its just the Wifey and I, we did not need a big trailer or tent. We had a roof top camper, so for a while we will use that. I had an el-cheapo box 5x4 trailer, an old upright drifta kitchen, a old Waeco fridge, a rectangular 60l water tank, some deep cycle batteries and a spare old model Coleman LPG stove & bottle. To begin with I kept the typical slipper springs trailers come with to save money until I could get some shackled leaf springs.

I figure that its main use will be weekenders and since we still 4wd, it would have to be made strong as a normal trailer would probably self destruct in time. Total weight would be important too as I did not want a PITA huge camper trailer to drag the Rodeo down. Quick set up/pull down is important too. Weekends are only 48hrs and I did not want to spend too long mucking around with the gear.

The time frame to build was not important, I was doing this on the cheap(ish) and scrounging/re-using was important.
I did not keep a full photo record but I will happily answer questions if required, to fill in any gaps.
Trailer, reinforcing it and figuring out where porta potti, gas and batteries are going to go.
Baldricks_Mate

Re: Camper Trailer build up

Postby Baldricks_Mate » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:28 pm

That mess of metal framework on the draw bar in the pics above is to make reccesses to take the porta potti, water tank, generator (if required), gas bottle, stone deflectors with fixed front & swing out L&R sides and is also done so the fold out toilet tent can easily prop onto it. I'll put a deck onto it to ensure safe footing. Then the tent can be used for changing, showering and toileting.

ImageImage

battery boxes for the side

ImageImage
Baldricks_Mate

Postby mr_grumble » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:33 pm

Ahh, memories...

I started my camper project this time last year, 12 months later I'm through to the other side. Thank god :roll:

Project looks good, like the bracket work that keeps everything in it's place.

I have a set of virtually brand new AL-KO 'Off-Road' greasable shackle springs that you may be interested in ? Were fitted to the trailer for about 3 months while it sat in the shed.

I severly under-estimated the total weight of the camper initially and put 1250kg rated springs on :--?

Ended up with a static weight, fully loaded around 1100kg, bit too close for comfort, so I upgraded to 1500kg.

If your interested, let me know......

Cheers,

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Baldricks_Mate » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:14 pm

Gosh, thats a hefty spring pack - 7 leafs! (leaves?) They are rated at 1250kg each or 625kg each side x 1 pair?
What size is your trailer? Thats an ongoing problem with campers of all sorts - the weight easily gets out of hand.
I don't have a final gross on this one I'm building yet but its tare weight so far is 480kg and thats with batteries, camper top and spare. I'm estimating it will go to low 600kg-ish loaded & in full road trim.
Baldricks_Mate

Postby mr_grumble » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:33 pm

That's 1250kg for the pair.

Trailer size is 7x4.
I initially calculated a final weight of 900kg max, but like you said, it easily gets out of hand.
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Baldricks_Mate » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:48 pm

So neat, so clean, so...professional. (and thats just the yard!)
I think I'll delete my effort. :-bang
It lacks that kind of uhmm, polish
Baldricks_Mate

Postby mr_grumble » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:26 am

:***
Notice I took the pic from 20 feet away !

I did that for a reason ;)

Aint so shiny now....wears a couple of coats of hammer finish now. Gal looks nice for the first 12 months, then turns a very horid looking finish after that.
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Return to Camper Trailers