Quality of Camping Trailer tent

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Quality of Camping Trailer tent

Postby hamiriver » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:50 pm

We are looking at a new camper trailer for around$5000( trailer and tent).
As we have not camped with camper trailers, we are not really sure of what to expect in terms of quality of the tents. I know this one is on the lower price side.

1)The canvas is 10oz on top and 8 oz on the sides. In my research most other canvas seem to be heavier. Is the heaviness in the one we are considering going to impact on the quality of waterproofing and heat/cold?

2) the tent only has 1 door and also a few of the windows have some clear plastic at the bottom the of the window. Does anyone think this is an issue?

3)Does anyone know of any other brands where you get extra room in the botton of the tent. I think the dimension from the trailer edge would be say- an extra 2.4 metres. We are looking to camp with two small kids and wanted to put them on a queen airbed in the bottom of the tent and still have some room for our gear.

Looking forward to any help
hamiriver

Postby Troyk » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:25 pm

8/10 oz canvas seems a bit light. Mine has 12 and 15oz or about 50% heavier. The quality of the waterproofing is more a result of treatment rather than the canvas.

The feeling I got from looking around was that a good quality CT without the extras will set you back $7000.

We got a 2.7 metre room which is ample but not too wide for a standard powered site at a caravan park, worth considering if you are going to do any travelling. A 2.4 metre room is probalby ok but I found it depends on where the door is. You need room for the ladder up to the bed etc, and if the door is at the end of the room you reduce your usable space. Our door is in the middle of front wall of the room, with bunk beds at the end and to the right of the door . We got bunk beds for our kids (now 3 and 5 and tied to one of the internal poles) to reduce the footprint.

With ours you now can get a 3.3 room but do you need it....

The plastic at the bottom of the windows. Well I like a dark tent so the kids don't wake up at 4:30am in the summer months. Thats only a problem for us daylight saving less queenslanders of course.
;)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Troyk » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:30 pm

Oh yeah. Welcome to the forum.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:38 pm

Hi

Like Troy said, thats light canvas.

Check mine out at http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/homeawayfromhome.htm and then check out Camel prices at http://www.camelgroup.com.au/default.asp

Any questions about mine ............ ask away but I can assure you I am more than happy with it.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby hamiriver » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:02 pm

Thanks both for the replies- very useful. We have been spending hours each night on the websites looking at all the options around, and we are now a lot wiser!

The comments about the canvas are interesting- we have also discovered that some of the canvas seems to be stitched overseas and the quality of the stitching more doubtful. Also heard that the thinner canvas is more likely to get mouldy and better just for light weather camping ( not Nth Qld in the wet season..)

After much searching we have sort of narrowed it down to the Camel-Nomad 10ft with the full annexe. It seems to be a good size internally , some good size windows with awnings, with door to one side- so room for kids bed . I can see the point though about the darkness of the tent being an issue when travelling with kids. I hadnt thought of that one!

Is the Camel made from Australian canvas and stitched here?

thanks again
hamiriver

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:11 am

Camel do there own stitching at their factory in Brisbane.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Hissy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:20 am

We also had the same dilemma as you are going through yourself regarding which one to choose.

We looked at the web sites then went toz a camping show to look and feel.

We already have a trailer so are only buying a camper top.

We have choosen the camel 13ft with annex. There are four of us and expect we will have lots of room in this model.
Will sleep the kids on the floor in the main area with us on either a queen or two single beds.

Good luck.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby Cruzin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:13 am

Hi Hamiriver,
We had pretty much the same dilema for a couple yeras while I built the off-road trailer.

Our criteria was for a camper tent that was 12' measured from the edge of the trailer to the end of the tent (side fold). there are 7' and 9' versions also.
The door to be as close as possible to the trailer (it is the walkway into the tent) and all the gear can be place at opposite end to the side of the trailer so you don't have to walk over it to get up into the bed. Most tents are free standing with the door at the edge of the tent are as measured above.
We also wanted an 8' annexe, with the roof permantly attached. An annexe has roof and walls (an awning is roof only). We wanted the annexe walls to be setup in any configuration ie either end wall or both as well as front wall or not.

The canvas needed to be 10oz walls and 12oz roof because 15oz roof and 12 oz walled tents get very heavy for 2 people to handle (up and down, dry or wet)

Picked up an import version on ebay last week for $1,200. Unfortunately the 3 walls are "all in one" - but it is a start.
Erected it last weekend and made some improvements to the stablity and added spreader bars to the roof sections (tent and annexe) too ensure no water pooling after rain.

next is a real life test.....

Good luck with your search
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby hamiriver » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:44 pm

Thanks Hissy and Cruzinf for your replies
Interetsing to note comments especially re the heaviness of the canvas when wet especially. I had not thought of that either.

I wonder if anyone else out there has issues with ease of putting up the tent if you have just one couple and two young kids running loose ?

Is water pooling on canvas tents an issue or is it just a matter of really making sure your guy ropes are tight? ( I am a total novice camper- probably shows doesnt it!)

We are leaning towards the 10ft Camel at present with a full annexe.
hamiriver

Postby Troyk » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:37 pm

hamiriver wrote:
I wonder if anyone else out there has issues with ease of putting up the tent if you have just one couple and two young kids running loose ?

Its only a problem when you climb into the tent to put up the internal poles and they are right behind you. I usually get the kids chairs out first and they usually muck around with them until you have the tent up. Or they are more interested in what the neighbours are doing!

hamiriver wrote:
Is water pooling on canvas tents an issue or is it just a matter of really making sure your guy ropes are tight? ( I am a total novice camper- probably shows doesnt it!)

I find there is too much flex in the tent to get the tent tight. At easter we got a real storm and the water ponded on the roof overnight and we didn't get any seepage. It was about 100mm at its deepest. So its probalby not a problem with good quality. You need to bear in mind though that we haven't had that much rain in SEQ in recent times to really test it out like you NQer's. :grin:

We have 15oz canvas roof and is sealed with Bradmill's Duradex if thats any help.

Troyk

15oz canvas

Postby shasa_pa » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:02 pm

12 oz and 15 oz are Australian made. 15 oz is the better option we personally think. Surprisingly enough that you'll probably find like we did that 13 or 14oz is made in china (but not the actual trailer) and is very light and flimsy. And isnt all that water proof either.
We hire trailers with 15oz canvas 100% Aussie made.
shasa_pa
Boy Scout

Re: Quality of Camping Trailer tent

Postby Vega » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:10 pm

http://www.customline.com.au/
Have a look at these campers....I have one and I can't fault it.
They are also one of the cheapest around,

15oz all round make it a tad heavy....but in saying that It's water tight and have no problems putting it up by myself.
Vega

Postby Pauly » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:57 am

If your on a budget have you looked at the camper tents on Ebay. From the sounds of it they will as good if not better quality than the one your looking at, sounds like your only looking on road

Buy a trailer up there then get the top fitted. Whats a 7x5 trailer worth $1500 tops, if you go the off road style probably $2500. Tops on ebay average 1000/1500. Yes the canvas isnt as thick but a decent tarp for $200 over the whole show will sort that out. I seen plenty of expensive campers leak, particularily where the annex butts up.

I like these ones http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XTRAIL-17x15FT-O ... dZViewItem
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby snake_dr » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:51 am

we just went through the same process and chose a lifestyle camper, camels kitchen choices left a lot to be desired

http://www.lifestylecampertrailers.com.au
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Return to Camper Trailers