Needing advice in buying a camper trailer

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Re: Needing advice in buying a camper trailer

Postby Vega » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:47 pm

I have the Customline Deluxe offroad Camper.....Got it last year at one of those outdoor shows....

If your serious about buying a camper, pay a visit this weekend to the show at the RNA....

You will get good deal there. Make sure you have the whole day to spend there....Every manufacturer will be there with displays setup....

As for my Customline, I got it without any show addons and stand inclusions removed to make the initial price cheaper. That way also i could set it up the way I wanted too.

Also when ordering a camper from anywhere, advise them if you wish to upgrade anything at a future date....So mounting brackets, hitch plate etc can be attached in the build.
Vega

Postby Teabag » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:02 am

My previous Camper Trailer was a Customline Deluxe Offroad that I bought in 2002 and sold in 2005. In that 3 years it crossed Australia through the centre twice, did an extensive jaunt in the Kimberleys including the Gibb River Rd etc (2800km just on and off the Gibb River Road) which also included the Mitchell Plateau. In that time I didn't have one failure and only had to tighten the wheel bearings once during a trip at Home Hill Station. I honestly cannot say a bad word about the trailer and it's construction though had them build it to my specifications. I had the Axel upgraded to 2 ton, spring rate increased to 9 leaf shackle, spring hangers re-enforced, Larger wheel bearings to match the trailer as it was rated now to 2 ton and electric brakes. I then sold the trailer in 2005 to purchase the Kimberley Kamper and sold it for $200 less than what I paid for brand new. Can't complain about that. The canvas is a true 15oz canvas and mine went through several tropical storms without issue (just make sure you season the canvas). The weight different between 10oz and 15oz would be minimal IMO and the benefit of the higher grade canvas would far outweight the extra weight IMO.

To be honest there is no real right or wrong answer to this question as what will suit me or other may not suit you. What I recommend is heaps of research and know the product, hire and test for yourself if possible and don't be scared to ask the manufacturer to change things to suit what you want. These are answers only you can give. I wish you all the best with which ever camper you choose but I honestly think you wouldn't go too far wrong with the Customline. I have attached 2 pictures of my old Customline crossing the Pentecoste River on the Gibb River Rd and crossing Ivanhoe Crossing going into Kunnunara.

Good Luck....

2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:21 am

Teabag wrote:
To be honest there is no real right or wrong answer to this question as what will suit me or other may not suit you. What I recommend is heaps of research and know the product, hire and test for yourself if possible and don't be scared to ask the manufacturer to change things to suit what you want.

Great answer Teabag. Vega my only comment is that this is something that you will get to know about with experience.

When I got my first CT I was as green as, oh yeah I had been tenting it for many years but a CT was a whole new ball game for me.

I bought a pre loved one that fortunately was a true 'off road' CT (no requirements for change required there) and then proceded to fine tune it over time with options that suited me. New stainless steel water tank, electric tap and kitchen were just a few examples.

After a couple of years I discovered I knew so much more about CTs than I ever thought possible but it did take first hand 'experiences' and chatting with other CT owners to achieve this.

We can all tell you 'our requirements' but ultimately it comes back to your needs. Like Teabag said, research, research, research and chat to fellow CT owners.

Every time you are out and about and see somone, stop and get them to tell you about their CT. The majority of CT owners are only too happy to show and tell.

After you are armed with as much info as possible, then I would approach the manufacturers and I would talk to all of them irrespective of which one you may be leaning towards.

You'll be surprised at what you bits of info you'll pick up along the way, you'll also surprise yourself as to how knowlegable you will have become.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK...

Cheers..
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby double_d » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:56 am

if your still interested in a CT
i am thinking of selling mine
can send you some photos if you want ( when i find them )
16 foot long inside with 12 foot annexe
$4500 ono for forum members will put it on ebay for $5k

daniel d
double_d
Captain Camping

Postby Teabag » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:40 am

[/quote]
Vega my only comment is that this is something that you will get to know about with experience.
[/quote]

I agree and hence the KK that I have now is my 3rd CT and by far the best. For me it was an evolution thing and eventually upgrading to the camper trailer that I truly wanted though there was a large cost involved with going the KK. Trailer construction and the quality of the canvas work are two main primary concerns wrt the quality of the camper IMHO. There are many factors but these two are the most important IMO. You don't want your trailer to fail and if it is going to fail it will generally break in the most inconvenient spot and cause no end of issues/problems. Canvas quality and the sewing work is also important as this is what keeps you dry and can determine the longjevity of the camper trailer. I personally wouldn't go anything less than 12oz canvas especially for the roof but could go 10oz walls depending on the quality of the canvas.
It's all about understanding the weak points of a trailer and trying to minimise those risks, hence I beefed up the suspension accordingly. In your situation this may not be needed as it depends on your intended load and use. No use having suspension that can take two ton when your only going to have 500kgs of weight in the back as this has other inherant issues. Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as possible......
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Previous

Return to Camper Trailers